I really want to join the navy but..

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Kinko, Sep 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I haven't got very good people skills and I'm generally quite a nervous person, I even get worried when I step foot into the AFCO. I feel I would have more trouble with the social side of training then the physical side. Will I be able to improve my skills at HMS Raleigh, will there be others like me? I mean just the thought of taking trains to HMS Raleigh by myself really gets me worried as I have never been out of my local area.

I'm 17 years of age, and I've sent off my applications.
  2. There will be others like you, rest assured.

If you are a nervous type I'm sure it's daunting, but your post is far more comprehensible than a lot of the gibberish I see on here, so perhaps your communications skills are better than you think.

You're young and I'm sure you will build confidence, AFCO staff are professional people who can spot potential.

Try to keep calm and good luck.
  3. The stuff that would really get me worried is doing an individual presentation or a group presentation as I'm not a very good speaker.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hi, welcome. Good question, well put. (Ignore any detractors).

Having visited many schools & colleges, it's very easy to recognise your self-perceived shortcomings. There are times when it's greatly upsetting to see the low self-esteem an self-confidence that many people your age seem to have. Whether it's indoctrinated through education or family directly is hard to discern.

The simple answer is that HMS Raleigh is all about addressing individuals that need to learn team spirit & gain confidence in themselves from like-minded (often similarly aged) people.

Will there be people like you? Erm....only all of them that join up with you. :thumright:

Best of luck- try it, you'll never know otherwise. Ask your Careers Adviser about a Royal Navy Acquaint Course- see if you can go on one to see what it's all about without any obligation or cost whatsoever. If it's rubbish, simply don't join.
  5. I don't doubt that there are a lot of people serving in the Navy now who felt much the same when they joined. One of the many things that you will develop at HMS Raleigh and beyond will be your self confidence.

Your concerns will be recognised, and you will be given every opportunity to overcome your fears. There are many more qualified than me on this site to help advise you on this as I'm sure they will.

Edit: See? Told you so ^^^^^
  6. Thanks for the advice. I think it's just a case of building my confidence and getting out there a little more.
  7. Hi Kinko,
    I had similar reservations at your age, (well, a bit younger, I was 16), but managed to overcome them eventually. At times it feels strange if you are not naturally outgoing, and getting out in front of a cohort of your contemporaries is intimidating to say the least, but it can be done, so, give it a try mate. You will not regret it.
    Best wishes,

2BM (73rd birthday coming up shortly!)
  8. I was 4 years older than yourself when I joined up and I had grave reservations about public speaking. The RN is good about developing those skills. While there will be people with strong presentation skills, many other will be in a similar position to yourself. All will have strengths and weaknesses in different areas. You appear to be able to articulate yourself well in the written word - concise and clear which is what the Armed Forces like - and I'm sure you will develop those skills in the spoken word as well.
  9. What 17 year old is not nervous about public speaking or presentation work? I remember when I was first required to instruct I didn't sleep the night before my first lecture, but it gets easier with time and experience. I have to say the trick is to be prepared and if you do not know the answer then say you will find out and get back to them.

It also helps if you imagine the people that you are speaking to on the toilet!

But that is ages away yet for you, just enjoy learning the new skills that the RN will teach you.
  10. If you weren't nervous you wouldn't be human. Everyone has butterflies when making a complete lifestyle change. Your written command of the English language (if your posting here is your normal style) is far above the average, if you're spoken English is as good you should have no problems when giving a presentation except the normal nerves felt by ALL on giving their first presentation. Life in a mess will be different but persevere, you will find good guys and not so good guys, some you will get on with some you won't, that's life.
    Go for it and enjoy it, after you've been ion a couple of years you will look back at yourself and realise that life changing decisions while not being easy bring great results. :thumright:
  11. M I get exactly the same as you. Can't do a speech for my life, and I'm going in as an officer!

Trust me when I say that it gets 10x easier every time you do it, my english teacher makes me do it atleast every month or so.
  12. Congratulations on passing AIB :thumright:
    When did you take it?
  13. I can understand where you are coming from as I myself am not hugely great when it comes to doing presentation and speaking in front of a large group of people. Many, many people will be the same as you I expect and going to Raleigh will give everyone that confidence to overcome such problems.
  14. Kinko, the only thing I would say is just go for it. I've left it really late in life to join up and although I'm happy with public speaking and prentations etc., I'm going to be struggling with all the physical side of the training.

Kind regards,
  15. Swoosh, and the optimisim is gone.
  16. Kinko, if your demonstrably good written communication skills are anything to go by I wouldn't be too worried on the communications front. If only some of the old and bold could articulate their opinions as well as you, there would be far fewer problems on RR. :thumright: (Stand fast 85% of Rum Rationers! ;) ) I can still remember having to deliver my first talk on Buoys (and Traffic Seperation Zones) in my 30s to a class of ex-RN Seamen, civvies, etc in the bowels of HMS Belfast as a volunteer in the MVS. The first time you need the cribsheets, but with practice it gets easier and you feel more relaxed.

PS: What teenager isn't nervous about jumping into the unknown? Those that pretend they aren't are either lying, deranged or super-human (aka Ninja). :lol: