I need to know..................

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by higthepig, Mar 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Following on from the ` Can I join up at 35 ` sort of thread.
    What length of time do people sign on for to-day? If you join at 35 do you still have to leave at age 40?

Also I noted somewhere on another thread words to the effect `or 17 years until the age of 40.

Perhaps a Recruiter can explain the moden Navy`s length of service. I know about fifth fives and 20e etc, it`s the initial terms and time for pension I`m on about. After 17 years , does pension start at age 60?

Interested of Inverkeithing.
  2. I'm not a recruiter but to quote the RN website,

Logic then leads me to presume that the upper age limit is 37 for ratings as (correct me if I was misinformed) you generally get "kicked out" of the forces at 55...Not that I'd need to tell you that >_>
  3. You can still do 22 years hig.
  4. Not only are you not a Recruiter, you are not even in the RN.
    On subjects that you know nothing about, it is advisable to `Keep it shut`.If you do not understand the question, then refrain from trying to answer it.
  5. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

+ 15 years,,,which I laughed at my DO when he asked.
  6. From age 35?
    What do they sign on for to-day?
  7. When i joined up there where still a few old a/bs.50yrs and over WW11 vets...
  8. You could always follow your own oft repeated advice and contact an AFCO in person rather than posting questions on an 'unoffical' website.
    Sarcy of Dunedin :D
  9. That's the part I was on about.
  10. I am sure they changed it too a str8 22.......... years ago.
  11. You are of course quite correct, my fault. End of thread.
  12. Sorry oppo, I misread your post.

I signed for a 22 year open engagement and could leave after four years service, after that I can leave at any time by giving 12 months notice. Retention bonus' are provided at the 4 and 8 year points requiring 12 months return of service on claiming. At 12 years service from the age of 18 you can leave with half pension. 22 years is full pensionable age. I'm not sure how this effects older recruits as I thought you were binned at 55.

Hope this helps, if not no doubt someone with a better depth of knowledge can.
  13. Or do a search of the newbs as this has been covered before methinks.
    Hoist on ones own petard, perchance?
  14. Hmm usual sense of humour failure? :roll:
  15. Puts an end to the term 'lifer' huh

22yrs sign on, do 4 yrs originally and then 'renew' is what I know but I was p*ssed through most of it :lol:
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The current "retirement" age from the RN is 55 (doubtless many would say: rightly or wrongly).

The newer pension (AFPS 05) matures after 18 years service, hence the fact you can now join up until the age of 37 & still have served a guaranteed contract long enough to earn a "full" pension before your 55th birthday.

Those joining aged 16 have a guaranteed contact for 24 years to age 40 but may also earn extensions awarded upon merit up to the age of 55.

The phrase "18 years or until aged 40, whichever is longest" is indeed correct.
  17. Thank you, now I am even more confused, if the pension can be paid after 18 years, does this mean you can quit at 38 with a pension?
    It`s me innit? So how does 18 to 40 equate with that?
  18. My school must have been poor. That's nine more than they told me about.
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Technically you can earn a pension by age 38, but unlike the earlier AFPS 75 or earlier schemes, the pension doesn't get paid when you leave- it gets paid from age 60+