Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need help sorting my late fathers 6 off 1939-45 medals & 2 off Mention in Dispatches Certificates.

I want to get them framed - Dad, who served in Subs throughout the war, has 6 medals including the 39 - 45 Star, Atlantic Star, Africa Star & Pacific Star.
He also was Mentioned in Dispatches twice.
When I was four years old I gave two medals away at nursery school - I was never forgiven for that as they were never recovered. I have since replaced them both
His Silver War Medal has an Oak Leaf Clasp on the ribbon.
I thought one of the badges I gave away also had something on the ribbon.
I was told that it could not be another Fig Leaf because two were never issued to one person.
Someone else said that it may have been a 'Burma' clasp?
Does anyone here know what would have been on the second medal ribbon?
The first MID was in June 1943 when he was on HMSubmarine Unseen (not listed on his Certificate of service)
The second MID was December 1945 when he was in HMSubmarine Sleuth listed as just returned from the Pacific.
Any help would be much appreciated.

D

Deleted 58790

k Lomax MID.

Royal Navy HMS Sleuth

Frank Lomax served on:
  • HMS Raleigh, 3rd July 1940 as an ordinary seaman.
  • HMS Drake 10th September 1940.
  • HMS Defiance 2nd October 1940.
  • HMS Dolphin 6th February 1941.
  • HMS Maidstone 26th April 1941; 27th June 1941 as Able Seaman; 3rd July 1941 Able Seaman.
  • HMS St Angelo (SC) 18th July 1941; (HM Sub Urge) 16th September 1941. (Sub lost 28th April 1942); (SC) 16th November 1941.
  • HMS Talbot (HMS Sub Una) 28th February 1943.
  • HMS Dolphin (S/M's) 2nd March 1943.
  • HMS Ambrose (S/M's) 14th May 1943.
  • HMS Ambrose (HM Sub Sea Dog) 12th October 1943.
  • HMS Forth (HM Sea Dog) 15th August 1944; (S/M's) 29th November 1944; (HM Sub Sleuth) 10th January 1945.
  • HMS Maidstone (HM Sub Sleuth) 12 January 1945.
  • HMS Dolphin (HM Sub Sleuth) 1st October 194; (S/M's) 22nd February 1946 Released Class A.
He was Mentioned in Dispatches: for Distinguished Service (HM Sub Unseen) No. 1 1st June 1943 - Parchment. and for Distinguished Service (HM Sub Sleuth) No. 2 18th December 1945 - Parchment.

Salty-Dog

Lantern Swinger
From Wikki:

Servicemen and women of the British Empire or the Commonwealth who are mentioned in despatches (MiD) are not awarded a medal for their actions, but receive a certificate and wear an oak leaf device on the ribbon of the appropriate campaign medal. A smaller version of the oak leaf device is attached to the ribbon when worn alone.[1] Prior to 2014, only one device could be worn on a ribbon, irrespective of the number of times the recipient was mentioned in despatches.[2] Where no campaign medal is awarded, the oak leaf is worn directly on the coat after any medal ribbons.[3] In the British Armed Forces, the despatch is published in the London Gazette.[1]

The London Gazette should give details of his MIDs.
From what I can gather the Burma Clasp was worn with the Pacific Star prior to the award of the Burma Star.
Hope this helps.

Hi Robert2,
Thanks for your help and for sending the war record info.

It confirms what I have taken from his Certificate of Service which is so badly rubbed it is difficult to read.

Here is a link to my Blog Page, mostly about a visit I made to the Submarine Museum in Gosport who were helpful with some info.
Somehow, I need to sort out the info on what would have been attached to ribbon for the second MID.

https://franks4x4-solograndetour.blogspot.com/2017/03/my-visit-to-submarine-museum-today.html

The blog contains all of the photos I have of him passed to me by a sister.

At the end is also an interesting and detailed record of HMS Sleuth and the tour to the Pacific.
Extract taken from the Wrecksite website: http://wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?189234

Entered by one Jan Lettens on 06/01/2013 who's father was Gunner on Sleuth during the Pacific campaign.

From Wikki:

Servicemen and women of the British Empire or the Commonwealth who are mentioned in despatches (MiD) are not awarded a medal for their actions, but receive a certificate and wear an oak leaf device on the ribbon of the appropriate campaign medal. A smaller version of the oak leaf device is attached to the ribbon when worn alone.[1] Prior to 2014, only one device could be worn on a ribbon, irrespective of the number of times the recipient was mentioned in despatches.[2] Where no campaign medal is awarded, the oak leaf is worn directly on the coat after any medal ribbons.[3] In the British Armed Forces, the despatch is published in the London Gazette.[1]

The London Gazette should give details of his MIDs.
From what I can gather the Burma Clasp was worn with the Pacific Star prior to the award of the Burma Star.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply Salty-Dog and very helpful info.
I will get in touch with the Burma Star association as they may be able to tell me if the Burma Clasp is used for recognition of that 2nd MID or is for something else.
I am convinced that the Pacific Star had something on it when i gave it away even though I was only 4 yrs old at the time !!!!

I did not get very far with the internet & London gazette. I found a list of 7 subs all given MID's for the the pacific campaign, one of which was HMS Sleuth.

If you read the story at the bottom of my blog page about the crew all swimming from Sleuth to a sunken Jap Boat to rescue women & children, I thought that it may have been given for that.

https://franks4x4-solograndetour.blogspot.com/2017/03/my-visit-to-submarine-museum-today.html

Cdr Tall not Fall was in charge of the Museum at one time.
Hi Janner,
Thanks for that info. I will correct the Blog Page.
I met Cdr. Tall when he gave a series of 3 lectures on the history of submarines aboard one of the last cruises of the QE2. He was quit helpful and pointed me to the museum for help.
Trust me to get his name wrong.

D

Deleted 58790

Hi Robert2,
Thanks for your help and for sending the war record info.

It confirms what I have taken from his Certificate of Service which is so badly rubbed it is difficult to read.

Here is a link to my Blog Page, mostly about a visit I made to the Submarine Museum in Gosport who were helpful with some info.
Somehow, I need to sort out the info on what would have been attached to ribbon for the second MID.

The blog contains all of the photos I have of him passed to me by a sister.

At the end is also an interesting and detailed record of HMS Sleuth and the tour to the Pacific.
Extract taken from the Wrecksite website: http://wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?189234

Entered by one Jan Lettens on 06/01/2013 who's father was Gunner on Sleuth during the Pacific campaign.
I hope you manage to find out more of your fathers brave war service in submarines. Mention in Despatches is as high a honour as a DSM would be, The boat your father was serving on had so many brave souls that a medal had to be rationed. in wartime so making an oak leaf --that your father won- was much less costly to make in raw material but no less important.

12 Sep 1945
HMS Sleuth (Lt. K.H. Martin, RN) departed Hong Kong for passage to the U.K. She arrived back in the U.K. on 2 November 1945 when she arrved at Portsmouth. She was paid off into reserve on 21 November 1945. (13)

13 Jun 1952
HMS Sleuth collided with the destroyer HMS Zephyr while leaving Portland harbour. She put her stern through the side of Zephyr as she reversed out of her berth.

sHame after all that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a final update on my searches for anyone interested to know....

I found what I was looking for from MOD Medals Dept.
Dad's full Set were.
Defence Medal
War Medal 1939/45 with Oak Leaf (covering both MID's)
1935-45 Star
Atlantic Star

and the two I gave away
Africa Star with North Africa 1942-43 Clasp
Pacific Star with Burma Clasp

Thanks to you all for all of your help and comments...
I just need to source a North Africa 1942-43 Clasp and then I can get them all cleaned & framed . .and the long overdue Job will be done .
Frank

Waspie

War Hero
When I was four years old I gave two medals away at nursery school - I was never forgiven for that as they were never recovered. I have since replaced them both

That I can empathise with. As a very young lad I managed to lose a small cleaver looking 'thing'. My dad never forgave me for that. Evidently and not from my dad but one of his many brothers. My dad had made the cleaver himself to 'tidy' up hides as he was his units sniper during WW2. Something else I had been unaware of until my uncle told me. (It also explained why for years plod had came to the house to talk to dad - it was to ask if they could use his rifle which was held at the local police station).
Luckily for dad he was removed off the Normandy beaches because he had lied about his age and another brother bubbled him. Not before dad was shot in the stomach - again, luckily, the round was at the end of it's trajectory and simply seared itself into his skin!!! One lucky man!!!

That I can empathise with. As a very young lad I managed to lose a small cleaver looking 'thing'. My dad never forgave me for that. Evidently and not from my dad but one of his many brothers. My dad had made the cleaver himself to 'tidy' up hides as he was his units sniper during WW2. Something else I had been unaware of until my uncle told me. (It also explained why for years plod had came to the house to talk to dad - it was to ask if they could use his rifle which was held at the local police station).
Luckily for dad he was removed off the Normandy beaches because he had lied about his age and another brother bubbled him. Not before dad was shot in the stomach - again, luckily, the round was at the end of it's trajectory and simply seared itself into his skin!!! One lucky man!!!

A Fascinating story. Like you I know very little about what my father did as he would never talk about it
Frank

Just going through the process of getting my Grandads stuff from the MOD, we have received his records (that took 10 months), and now my mum has applied to the Medal Office to see what medals he is/was entitled too? the records only show 1939/45 War Medal and 1939/45 Star, however he served in Burma, India, Egypt and Ceylon (No 1 Commando).

He never applied for the medals after the war as my Grandma wanted nothing more to do with it.

Hopefully it wont be another 10 month wait.

Hi JFH,
It can take ages and if like me you tend to give up and then pick it up later it takes years.
Based on my dads record it sounds like there should be an Africa Star and a Pacific and maybe also a Burma Star in there.
Apparently The Burma Clasp on his Pacific star was because their was a shortage for everyone to get both medals.
Happy Hunting

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Need help RFA 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Teachers say parents need help to resist off-rolling pressure MoD News 0
T Need Help Joining from Commonwealth Joining the Royal Navy 6
A Looking to join but need some help/info Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
J UK resident, been on a USA scholarship, Need a 'residency waiver' HELP? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
PotentialCT Need a little help organising my exit strategy. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Eng 1, appointment made by RFA. Need help! RFA 17
R Need some help for my son Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
SONAR-BENDER Coming to Guzz - need help! Diamond Lil's 0
sue@knotical Navy ladies - I need your help The Quarterdeck 11
MrIndeed How similar is the royal navy entrance test example to the real thing? (Also need Help) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
joeG need help with preparing for flying aptitude test for AIRCREWMAN position The Fleet Air Arm 2
B Need a little help and actual advice please! UPO 1
Dredd HELP! We need protected! Current Affairs 17
S Past my rt today, need help please ? The Corps 8
craigb302 Newbie to submarine service (hopefully) need help understanding navy pay ? Submariners 16
B Need help RFA 16
Dealwithit Need some help!! RFA 11
O Very Confused,need a lot of help!! AIR ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
Passed-over_Loggie Need Help With Your Career in Aviation? Current Affairs 3
S In need of serious help! Submariners 84
R Any supply chain personnel? Need help? The Fleet 1
JonnyAlpha Attempting to Join RMR but need help locating previous service record RMR 4
W I think I need help Diamond Lil's 10
S Copied from USCG post - need help in translation, Norwegian to English..maritime Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D Need help and advice with job choices Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
K I'm a newbie & need help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
C need help! 845nas 1992-2002 The Fleet Air Arm 12
NotmeChief Need help please Diamond Lil's 2
adamson1693 Need Abit of Help Please... The Fleet 10
Gundulph Argyle need Rum Rations Help! Sports and Adventure Training 5
B need a bit of help- selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
L thinking of joining need help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Guns Calling all Gunners need help with Shell ID History 23
T Need Help on the medical! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
F Help for Heroes - We Need Your Votes! Charity 20
Toast Need SPO course help. Faslane Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1