I need a new TV

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by Merlin28, Jan 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I cuurently have the old style box TV from the late nineties. As I am moving house I have decided to buy a flatscreen but I don't understand the differences or which one is best. What is the difference between LCD, led and plasma? which one is best I assume 1080p is better then 780p? Is there anything else I need to know before buying?
  2. There is a really good "jargon buster" on most of the sites that sell TV's etc. Check out Curry's here.
  3. Cheers it makes sense now, time to empty the wallet
  4. I believe plasma's (at the moment) only last about 2 years, are more expensive and are bloody heavy compared to LCD (if your thinking of wall mounting, they need special securing arrangements). I've not heard of an LED television before (LED stands for Light Emitting Diode and as such I can't see how that would work).

edited to add just checked up and there is such a thing as an LED TV, Should've checked before posting...my bad :oops:
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  5. That's exactly what I thought when I first heard LED tv I think I will look it up to see how exactly it works could be interesting.
  6. LED TVs are still LCD TVs. It is just that these new sets use LED backlights rather than the fluorescent-type backlights used in most other LCD TVs. In other words, LED TVs should actually be labeled LCD/LED TVs.

The are currently two main ways that LED backlighting is applied in LCD flat panel televisions.
    One type of LED backlighting is referred to as Edge Lighting. In this method, a series LED backlights are placed along the outside edges of the screen. The light is then dispersed across the screen. The advantage of this method is that the LED/LCD TV can be made very thin. On the other hand, the disadvantage of Edge lighting is that black levels are not as deep and the edge area of the screen has a tendency to be brighter than the center area of the screen. The other type of LED backlighting is referred to as Full-Array (also referred to sometimes as Full LED). In this method, several rows of LEDs are placed behind the entire surface of the screen. The advantage is that these sets can employ "local dimming". Local dimming means that each LED or a specific group of LEDs can be turned on and off independently within certain areas of the screen, thus providing more control of the brightness and darkness for each those areas, depending on the source material being displayed. On the other hand, LCD TVs that employ full array backlighting are thicker than LCD TVs that employ an Edge-lit LED light source.

copied from home theater
  7. Cheers for that, couldn't see how a set of LED's could make a multi coloured moving picture. I'm not going senile after all.
  8. Just to confuse us, there is another new type of TV coming its actually already hear about 2 grand at the moment though

organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs).
    OLEDs are solid-state devices composed of thin films of organic molecules that create light with the application of electricity. OLEDs can provide brighter, crisper displays on electronic devices and use less power than conventional light-emitting diodes (LEDs) or liquid crystal displays (LCDs) used today.
  9. LCD , LED or OLED TVs are the way forward, most definitely. I'd definitely be checking out the Sharp branded ones (only because I have one and love it - 46 inches of pure theatre entertainment) HD 1080i screen. Personally, I'd be avoiding 3D as I think they're gimicky and pointless - seriously quite pointless - but if it's your thing, go ahead.

The Aquous Sharp televisions are great. Worth also going to Richer Sounds to see what they have - their insurance coverage is a millionth of the price of other suppliers, the service is better and you can play around with combinations of your chosen "bits and bobs" to see how it works with your choice of televisions. If you're thinking of a blu-ray player/new amp etc, they're also really easy to bargain hunt and barter with to get a good price.

I got an excellent deal on a surround sound, LCD TV (LED in 2009 was still twice the price and I'm not sold on the black not being black enough tbh), internet-connected music system (Sonos), new amp, etc. Happy as larry with the set-up and had no complaints from friends yet "this is like being in a -more-comfortable - cinema.

Good luck!

Oh and avoid LG tvs like the plague. They have slightly rounded screens and it destroys vision.
  10. Top tip: The securing mounts for mounting the TV to a wall are really pricey, like £180 pricey, I fashioned my own from a piece of flat metal bar and two bike hooks.

I just bent the bar so the centre of it sits slightly proud of the wall and screwed it in with some really hefty masonry screws and rawl plugs. The hooks are for hanging bikes on garage walls, they just screwed directly into the back of the TV and I just hooked them over the bar. It is strong as **** and it means the TV can be moved easily without undoing any bolts or screws.

All in all the parts cost me under a tenner and it took me about 15 minutes to make.

Edited to add: If I can be hooped, I'll take a phot and post it on here later for all to marvel at my DIY glory.
  11. I've got an LG 42" LCD full HD with surround sound. Nothing wrong with it and is brilliant. Don't think mine has a rounded screen, but never really noticed or made any difference. Each to their own I suppose.
  12. Sorry, should have been more exact (oops) - OLDER LG televisions that are sold off "very cheaply" in places like Curry's /Comet /Argos etc. I can't remember what techno site I was on but the reviews were a bit disturbing.

Depends on the model, I'd suppose.
  13. The Panasonic TX series were very well reviewed by Which magazine and having spent a bit of time in Curry's/Comet over the Xmas period I know they have sold loads. I bought the TX-42G20 & am super chuffed with it.

The bracket was eye wateringly expensive though so clearly I should have followed 2_deck_dash's advice. Mind you by buying it from Germany it came in about £70 quid cheaper than anyone over here could sell it.
  14. 90% of flat screen TV's are made in S.Korea......at LG's factory, it may be branded Sharp,Toshiba,Panasonic etc but it is LG.
  15. More HDMI ports the better so you can attach your blu ray, home cinema etc.
  16. Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  17. My gas fired tv took a nose dive so thought it best to go buy a new one. What a minefield led, lcd, plasma, mdi cable fifty five quid. What the feck is a mdi cable? . Anyways I bought a 37" Sony Bravia lcd from marks and sparks for £450 should have been £600 and it has a five year free guarantee. It is like being at the movies compered to the old one which I always said would still be in the corner til it goes kaput. I bought the tv/dvd/video stand from the local hospice charity shop for twenty quid same one was selling in the stores for hundred and thirty.
  18. I bought my LCD Samsung 42" HD TV online from Laskys just over 12 months ago. I ordered it on a Friday afternoon and it arrived the following morning. The same make was priced £260+ dearer in stores such as Currys - Laskys cut out the middle-man by supplying direct from warehouse. It pays to shop around.
    LCD TV | LED TV | Laptops | Cameras | Consumer Electronics at Laskys.com

19. Why, when you can wirelessly stream 1080p using a DLNA compliant 802.11n dongle and your home wifi network?

And for hanging your TV, what better than a Samsung picture-frame wall mount?
  20. This, £10 worth of gear, 15 minutes of work with a hammer and a cordless drill: