I just don't get it lol.

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by ej2009, Nov 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, I'm new to this so I'm not too sure if I'm even supposed to post stuff like this on here anyway lol.

Here goes..

My fiance is currently in the Royal Navy. He's supposed to be going on a 6 month deployment in February. I have a few concerns with:

Holidays I need to take
    Flights needing to be booked
    And when the hell his dates are going to be confirmed

At the moment its all gone quiet on his ship of where there going, how long there actually going to be going for and where his 10 day stand off point will be.

I'm just a little worried that I'm currently saving up all my Holidays from work so I'm able to fly out where he has his 10 day stand off.

He spoke to his petty officer a few weeks back and he said that usually when they go on a deployment for 6 months; the dates they go, when they are along side and the countries they are supposed to be going to are confirmed 10 months in advance.

It's all gone quiet at the moment and no one has mentioned anything about it. My fiance reckons it will get canceled.

I'm just wondering if this is a normal thing for the Royal Navy to do?

Hope someone can kinda help me with this.

Thankyou
    Em
    x

2. Yes, it is.

3. Yes it is what?
    A normal thing for the Royal Navy to do.

I'm gonna be so pi**ed off if they end up canceling his tour, I'm not saving up my an/leave for nothing!

4. Exactly. You asked one question and I answered it.

Unfortunately the Royal Navy has to make operational commitments a higher priority than the holiday arrangements of a girlfriend one of the ship's company.

5. I never said that the ship has to take priority over my holiday arrangements.

I would just like someone to kinda explain to me if its normal for there to be no talk of a 6 month deployment less than 3 months before there due to go on it?

Just doesn't seem normal to me and trying to get information out of my fiance is like trying to draw blood from a stone

6. Careless talk costs lives.

7. The armed forces is the armed forces, commitments are made as soon as the guys who join sign that dotted line... imagine if there would be a WW3, or even back in WW2 when you wouldnt see your partner for a year or 2, make the most of it :p xx

8. Kinda ditch him and go out with a civvie.

There more boring but predictable. :thumright:

9. Its known commonly as "life in a blue suit"

10. Loose Lips Sink Ships

11. No, you didn't.

But it does.

That's what I said.

12. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

PMSL,,,,,yes the Royal navy will bend over backwards to suit your holiday plans! Do you have anyplace in mind?

Face facts that its a armed force and certain information ( whereabouts & timings ) is best kept quiet. It keeps your parter and shipmates safer. Keep your holidays and prepare to be disappointed.

Ehhhhh its normal that no one has a clue of the exact dates!!!!!!!!!!!

13. What a load of bollocks just go ahead and book your holiday but take out insutrance, ******* like to think the RN has any influence in Iraq etc. Sadly it does fcuk all enjoy your break.

14. Someone's really hit the bottle tonight haven't they?

15. I'm not being funny or anything but the majority of you have just jumped down my throat about the Navy.

I can't help it if I don't know these things do I. Which is why I'm asking the people who will know so I sorta know where to stand with it!

I am extreamly sorry for taking an interest.

F**k sake!

16. ej just wait a while --with the holiday scene and bookings etc it will be no problem getting anywhere you want without too much notice.

The RN does have planned trips during deployments however things change depending on circumstances fairly quickly.

Once your fiance knows he'll tell you !

:nemo: :nemo:

17. Can't quite understand why you're so upset.

You asked a question and it's been answered.

Your current boyfriend has, it would seem, made it clear that his ship's programme is not confirmed. It should be added that it can never be 'set in stone' anyhow, particularly in the volatile world we live in today.

Please rest assured that, as a serving member of the Royal Navy, there is absolutely no chance whatsoever that your boyfriend would be anything but completely honest with you at all times.

No, really.

Now, about that Local Overseas Allowance he has to pay when he's away...

18. Has to SPEND surely Guzzler ;)

Whoops maybe wasn't supposed to tell his g/f that? :whew:

19. Sssshhhhh.

My ex-missus may be reading.

20. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

In the old days this would be unusual as all the arrangements, diplomatic approvals etc would have been made months in advance. However these are not ordinary times due to operational tempo and financial constraints. There are regualar deployments that have to be met and there are those which are nice to have - this sounds like the latter but without knowing the ship (and don't reveal it in this public forum) I can't comment.

All I can advise is you have to be prepared to gamble a bit with your leave. Do you want to go out and see him, possibly in a nice exotic location, or not. The choice is yours. If you do decide to go then there are 3 bits of rock solid advice you should heed:

1. TAKE OUT TRAVEL INSURANCE
    2. TAKE OUT TRAVEL INSURANCE
    3. TAKE OUT TRAVEL INSURANCE

even if a programme is published, things change and you need to make sure you are protected financially.