I have no symathy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by finknottle, Jan 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I Have No Sympathy

A 56-year-old British woman has been sentenced to death in Indonesia for drug trafficking.
    Lindsay Sandiford, who is originally from Redcar in Teesside, was arrested last May after police in Bali said they found 4.8kg of cocaine in the lining of her suitcase.
    A spokeswoman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: "We can confirm that a British national is facing the death penalty in Indonesia.

There are many countries out east that clearly state at points of entry what the penalties are for drug trafficking. This woman obviously did it for financial gain and got caught; she should therefore face the penalty that has been handed down to her without any wailing and gnashing of teeth from the do-gooders.

Death-Penalty.jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  2. Have to agree with you on that Finks.
    Do the crime, pay the penalty.

3. .
    "I have no symathy"

Ermm, no dictionary/spillchucker either, eh Finks?

Otherwise concur with your sentiments.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thank you for pointing out my spelling mistake BOOTWU, now rectified. I can't find the words to say how much I appreciate it.

5. Although you would be able to if you actually had the aforementioned dictionary.

6. Anyone got her for the Stiff List 2013?????

• Like Like x 1

7. I like the bit at the bottom............BNP BALI..........those b*strds are everywhere.
    I would like to add more but the intimidation of Seadog somewhat stifles my belief in free speech. (well, on this forum anyway)

8. Crystal ball working exceptionally well today wits?

9. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

What if she is for reasons of mental health, vulnerable to coercion by ruthless risk shifting bastards? The death sentence came as a surprise to the prosecution who had asked for 15 years.

I have the capacity for sympathy. I'm undecided as to whether or not it should be withheld here.

The (BBC?) reporter asking the accused if she was shocked at the sentence takes the prize for bone question of the year.

• Like Like x 3
  10. I would hope that we all have the capacity for sympathy, when it is appropriate. I am sure that her lawyer submitted all the relevant mitigation. 'When in Rome'.

11. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Have you seen the woman in question? Talk about never judge a book by it's cover, she looks like a harmless, if maybe slightly mad aunt. About as far from the stereotypical image as you could get.

12. I think that she would have been hoping to use that look to her advantage.

13. It may come as a bit of a surprise, but I agree with seadog, particularly on his third sentence -re the BBC.
    However distasteful other countries justice systems may seem to us, it is their country, their systems, created by their people.
    Anyone convicted of committing a crime in that country must face the justice of that country. Mitigating circumstances such as mental health issues/coercion would have been submitted by the defence early on in the trial, presuming there was evidence of such. The fact that her partner is currently on trial for drug offences, and, according to the judges, she did not appear to care about the consequences of her actions, I too, reserve the right to withold my sympathy.

14. I used to know a bloke called Timothy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Embassy and legal assistance withheld for ten days, made to sign forms/confession/interviewed in [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Indonesian, baby Lawyer not fluent in English or the law by some accounts. Coercion, threats of violence to family. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]She needs her arse kicking but the death penalty FFS?[/FONT]

16. Just spent the last twenty minutes trying to work out that stupid multi-quote thing and still can't get my head round it (despite frogman's advice) so will have to do it the old fashioned way.

There are many countries out east that clearly state at points of entry what the penalties are for drug trafficking.

So being clearly stated makes it morally acceptable?

This woman obviously did it for financial gain and got caught

I would certainly think that she did. A lot of crime is done for financial gain. Let's bring back the death penalty for fraud eh?

she should therefore face the penalty that has been handed down to her without any wailing and gnashing of teeth from the do-gooders.

I do not see how objecting to state endorsed murder makes one a do-gooder. Then again, I'm not sure I see what is wrong with doing good.

All this rubbish about 'when in Rome' etc. is utter bollocks. Blind acceptance of barbaric practice by the state, any state, is quite spineless and is the root of so many problems throughout society.

Suppose I could go on, but sure this will be enough for starters.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I would not be surprised if some of those *cheering the death penalty in eastern drug smuggling cases also have a foot in the "legalise drugs" camp and another in the, "wogs, you can't trust their legal system" camp. Yup, three feet and no brain.

When in Rome? When in Tehran would you join in a crowd stoning a girl for being the victim of rape?

Usually I am pro death penalty -including for crayoning in serious fora but I've yet to be convinced that this Bali instance is just.

* in general, not necessarily on this thread.

18. As it was not the woman's first visit to Bali it is reasonable to assume that she was well aware of the risk she was taking when trying to smuggle in the drugs but still decided to do it.She should not be surprised that the warnings are not an idle threat.
    Whether we feel it is socially acceptable to shoot smugglers is neither here nor there and in any case will have no bearing on the eventual outcome.I doubt that the Indonesians ever see fit to comment on our laws and justice system and therefore will see little point in acknowledging comment in the other direction.
    I do have sympathy for the woman's relations who are going to be pestered by the great British media for quotes about their feelings on the matter.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cigarette packets carry a warning that they can kill, and they do. No appeal procedure, nothing to do with morality. You take the chance - you pay the price.
    I fear that it won't be long before crayons carry that same warning.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 13 years of Bliarism put paid to that in the most insidious way FD, so I wouldn't worry too much. Barn door etc.....

Free speech and freedom of thought is unreservedly fcuked thanks to a monumental movement to foister Inclusive Liberalism onto the shoulders of everyone apart from those Middle Class liberals who created it, currently residing in selective post-codes.Just try asking one of them to contribute during a whip-round.
    (Never mind most Brits were tickling along nicely beforehand).

And Fink- it wasn't a spelling mistake, just a mere type-o. Easily done.