I have my interviews with my local careers office tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Hanfrey2015, Mar 17, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I had my RT about 2 weeks ago and I passed with ~80% and now I am moving onto the interview stage which I have tommorrow.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for what to expect. Having done some research I understand the interview will be primarily about my life including education, work experience, hobbies and interests and motivation. The only area I am a little unsure of is where we will be questioned on our knowledge of the Navy. I was just wondering what is good to learn?

I am going for Air Engineering Technician and spent the last couple of days learning the names and functions of the aircraft I may be dealing with if I get in. I just wanted to know what else is important to know to make a good impression.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Had my interview for AET about a year ago now. They did ask me if I could name any ships . Make sure you know what you'll be doing at Raleigh and why ( they asked me lots if questions about Raleigh). What does being an AET involve. Current deployments maybe, where you may be based e.g Yeovil, culdrose, specific ships etc. just research your chosen role. They didn't ask me about the history of the navy but it would look very good.
    At the end he said to me that he wanted to see that I had read the booklet they gave me. So if you were given one read it thoroughly. The hardest part of the interview I thought was the situation dilemma questions. "What would you do" questions.
    Hope this helps. I've probably missed a lot of info though so sorry about that, it was a long time ago now.
  3. Hey Eggy_Russ... Thank you for your comment, it's good to know some of the things that might come up, I never like the uncertaincy of interviews!
  4. I know!, I was sh***ing bricks when I went, started off with hiccups and froze on the " why do you want to join the navy" question. So don't stress yourself out to much! I had a terrible start and passed thankfully, and I'm sure you will as well, good luck!
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  5. Hey man - what's the pass mark for AET, got my RT in a couple of weeks.
  6. I am not 100% sure but I believe it is 50% overall (so 60/120) but it may be slightly more.

I only got 16/30 for the mechanical comprehension which is presumably the most important section for AET but I still passed so I presume %50 across the board.

Good luck with your RT, you will be fine, just remember if you don't know the answer within 10 seconds move on then come back to the ones you miss out.
  7. Ok bud, thanks.
  8. A little bit of knowledge about something you nothing about is dangerous.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Well yeah obviously don't aim for 50% across the board haha... If you just revise a lot and do your best there is nothing more you can do!
  10. Is that similar to lots of knowledge about something you know nothing about?
    Good interview technique always research the company you are being interviewed by it shows you are interested in the company and are looking to work for them for the right reasons and not just a pay packet it show enthusiasm for you potential new job, they will not expect to be an expert unless already employed in that industry.