I had a broken ankle

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by _Tim_, Dec 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I broke it nearly 4 years ago when i was hit by a car. I had 3 operations on it in total, including a ski graft.

One operation was simply to remove the wires that held it together.

I had trouble with it until early last year, but now I can walk, run, dance etc comfortably with no trouble.

I know you can't say "Yes it will definitely stop you passing the medical", but some examples or advice would be appreciated.
  2. Tim,

The only "good" advice you will get, is to pop to the AFCO and see a service doc down there mate.

Everyone could speculate, but he is the only one who will give you the correct answer.

3. Hi Tim,

You will need to talk to the Navy's AFCO medical advisor at your local careers office. They will then tell you if it's OK now or whether you need to wait a while before being passed as fit.

PS after your last comment about RN careers staff are you sure it wasn't a Naval officer driving???

Naval careers advisor

4. Does this involve a pair of poles n planks and a slightly wanky colored set of overalls?

5. I didn't realise they even had med. officers at the AFCO, I thought they came in to do medicals and such.

And it wasn't a naval officer, it was a police officer who was in the TA. Funny how the cops didn't have sufficient evidence to prosecute him for dangerous driving. :threaten:

Well, now you mention it....
  6. So why have you shared this information with us?

For what reason have you had a medical?
  7. I broke both my legs as a teenager,at different times, unsupervised urban "Adventure' training is about as close as I can get for cause :thumright: .
    I still can't dance, did the bonesetter ruin my chances of winning 'Come Dancing' or was it exposure to various Royal Marines School of Dancing that forever blighted my career as a terpsichorean?
  8. Pussers planks are enough to make anybody break their legs. :thumright:
  9. I sometimes wonder if you buggers have ever heard of ambiguity.

I'm defeated.
  10. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

You should give nails a bell, the two of you could go "larging it" for the weekend. :thumright:
  11. Isn't that when you can use both hands equally well? :w00t:
  12. I guess that would useful during one of your reach around moments :thumright:
  13. Thank you NZ. It's nice to be appreciated.
    Excuse while I go and self harm, and then ask Ninja if I can still join with blood dripping out of my wrists.
  14. Nah for a change I just sit on my hand for 5 minutes until numbness sets in and then thrash one out...you can imagine anyone you wish is thrapping you off. Recently I've opted for a young Wet Blobby in a Tutu and AP Boots.
  15. Or a folded in half soapy sponge wedged under the toilet seat. Apparently that works a treat aswell :thumright:
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Only if you don't make a mess of my floor. "I've just polished that, take your boots off"

(Sorry, thought I was an MA for a moment....)
  17. This thread has gotten a little weird...
  18. If you ever get in, I think you'll find we're quite normal.
  19. Tim_ wrote:
    This thread has gotten a little weird...

You fukcing started it.....................
  20. Tim_..Nice but....

Our magic Interweb diagnosis Crystal Balls aren't functioning today, for a proper answer you'll need to go to your local friendly AFCO and ask there.

Lots of people have had serious injuries prior to joining, but it's all down to the Pussers (Navy) Doctor whether you're fit or not, not us on here.