I Fecking Love Dogs Me

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
^
I had a long conversation with the man from Petplan re my late Sprocker, it's a mixed breed he claimed. It's a Spaniel says I with two very highly rated pedigree parents I suggest you take advice on this one and ring me back.
Sometime later he came back and apparently having consult all sorts of people, including their legal department and told me what I already knew..... It's a mongrel.
The things you do when bored. ;)

Capn_Pugwash

War Hero
This is a myth put forward by the Kennel Club and breeders of "pure-bred dogs", primarily to facilitate selling dogs at ridiculous prices. The narrow breeding options, combined with breed standard put forward by kennel Club etc, have resulted in inbreeding with consequent health issues such as breathing problems in bulldogs, pugs, etc, kidney disease in cavalier KC spaniels and hip problems in some larger breeds. A selected mixing of two breeds, such as poodle and labrador, cocker spaniel and poodle and jack russell and shih tzu means that many of the problems of individual breeds are bred out. A specific cross, or mongrel is by far the better choice.

fishhead

War Hero
I think I was into my teenage years before I knew there was such a thing as a pedigree dog. I thought everyone had a mongrel which was the result of a random liaison between a bitch and a dog. The end results would never win a prize in a doggy beauty contest but visits to the vet were very rare until old age.

Sumo

War Hero
This is a myth put forward by the Kennel Club and breeders of "pure-bred dogs", primarily to facilitate selling dogs at ridiculous prices. The narrow breeding options, combined with breed standard put forward by kennel Club etc, have resulted in inbreeding with consequent health issues such as breathing problems in bulldogs, pugs, etc, kidney disease in cavalier KC spaniels and hip problems in some larger breeds. A selected mixing of two breeds, such as poodle and labrador, cocker spaniel and poodle and jack russell and shih tzu means that many of the problems of individual breeds are bred out. A specific cross, or mongrel is by far the better choice.
Also cheaper on pet insurance?

WreckerL

War Hero
used to be that Boarder Collies were mongrels, I believe they are now a proper bread?
Is that a collie who's parents have sent him off to school, or one that jumps on ships? I had a collie before my present dog, maybe I should have called him Wonderloaf :)

Sumo

War Hero
Is that a collie who's parents have sent him off to school, or one that jumps on ships? I had a collie before my present dog, maybe I should have called him Wonderloaf :)
sodding auto correct, obviously thought I was speaking of food?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Miscellaneous 9
smeeg The Quarterdeck 18
R12_CV The Gash Barge 9