i fancey a branch change!

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by wakka, Mar 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello,
    As much as i love bein a stoker, i hate all the other stuff that comes with it bein onboard, which doesnt give me much chance to actually BE a stoker!

was thinkin of goin AET-my old man fixed helicopters for 25yrs in the mob, loved every second and is now rackin it in workin for westlands on the apache project (he also built a few merlins-which explains alot!!) with the army.

i'm thinkin of doin the same and givin up on the engine room.

would it be worth doin?

any advice greatly appreciated!

wakka.

2. The letter "g" is between "f" and "h" on the keyboard.
    Use it at the end word certain words, as in the dictionary, or look like a lazy [email protected]

If you don't want to stay as a stoker and build up the trust and experience that will let you fix electrical and mechanical machinery then fair enough, but don't for one minute think that either of the other engineering sub branches will allow you to do so when you first turn up.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide, I think you are going to need it.

3. unfortunatley ratings are not assesed on their literary and typing skills, which is fair enough considering we only need to fully comprehend the technicallities of a mop and bucket.

forgive me for trying to find an area of employment within the RN to wich i can fully apply myself due to my enthusiasm not being worn away on 2 deck with a dishcloth.

i seem to have come up against this kind of attitude since leaving the submarine service. i'd heard the fleet air arm were slightly more professional than that.

never mind.

4. Wakka
    Go for it. I did 22 years in the Fleet air arm and it was then and I would imagine still is an extremely professional organisation. You will find engineering standards far higher than any general service trade (except perhaps submarine service).
    Skills learned can be transferred to other branches of engineering. I never worked on aircraft again after leaving, but worked as a naval weapons engineer at BAe for seven years followed by 12 years in the tobacco industry working on high tech machinery.

5. Wakka, how long were you on Submarines, and why did you leave?

6. I only did 8 years as a wafu on helicopters then went into industry working on fixed wing before being laid off and loved every minute of it and I would say go for it

7. Ok so you admit to being a bit thick, fine, you've proved that.
    Have you thought for one moment that either you're not cut out to be an engineer OF ANY DESCRIPTION or that its actually YOUR attitude which is making your superiors give you "mop and bucket" jobs in the first place?
    I've come across this kind of attitude before. Believe me, its not just you that has to clean stuff, its the effing NAVY. Mummy won't be coming around to tidy your room and iron your clothes for you. We ALL have to do it, us senior rates in-effin-cluded :twisted:

8. about 18 months.

i got binned cause i burst my eardrums in the tank. i spent 6 months after that popping about between Raliegh, WMO (guz), and doing quite a few other odd jobs (playing enemy for the booties etc) before i got threaders with livin in mackenzie sqd not doin much towards my career and gave up tryin to get the operation they said would fix my ears (there's a certain POMA out there that can't use a phone for some reason).

since i've gone "skimmer" I've been shocked at some of the thingsthat go on-fire fighting: killicks and above sat in mess decks while the SSEP fights fires in the next compartment, yankee patrol: is the "best navy in the world" really so rubbish that people to down and tools and go around the ship checkin people have closed watertight doors? these are just few things i've noticed. it just feels like i've gone down a rank because of scarring on my eardrums-how daft is that?!

the submarine service was definatly alot more proffesional than genral service (forgive the genralization there, but its true-with exceptions of course). and based on the way my dad works, and from what i've seen of his coleagues past and present the same level of propfesionalism can be found in the fleet air arm.

i was just trying to find out if its true.

9. Whacker
    There are tried and tested reasons why we use an SSEP and Yankee Patrol, both of which are also used in a slightly different form on Submarines BTW. Perhaps you'd feel more engaged with your current job if you put some intowhy we actually have to do these things, instead of harping back to your abortive attempts to be a submariner.
    If we used your logic, the Wafu's would'nt need to do FOD plods, because everyone should be trusted to pick up their own gash?
    BTW, since you did'nt pass out as a submariner(through no fault of your own, I'm sure) are you really qualified to comment on the differences between the 2 services?

10. IF you burst your ear drums at the SET, then even if you’ve done SMQ (dry) you haven’t actually served on a submarine, so you’ve never been a submariner.

I’m not an MA, but I’m sure there isn’t an operation for burst ear drums, they just heal in their own time.

11. good to see you have been given some great advice. my first point of contact would be your local careers manager. yes it is possible to branch change, but its not a quick process. if its what you want to do then go for it, you wont regret it

12. I was catagorised MEA and swiftly asked for a transfer to AEM. I sacrificed a career as a Tiff to be a Wafu. In 17 years I've never regretted my decision and neither would you. P.S. I'm a Tiff again now so yah-boo sucks to the PSO!!