I failed my psychometric test

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by joshcboy, Mar 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello. 6 months ago i faild my psychometric test and i was deverstated because i've wanted to join the navy ever since i was little. I was told i can re-apply in 1 years time and its been 6 months now. But.. I was told by a friend If im in education like college and 6th form i could then re-apply in 6 months time. Is this true could any one confirm this for me please? and if any one knows some good psychometric test sites please could you link them.

2. Ok thankyou very much. I read that form and it was helpfull in a few ways.

I dont have a lot of spare time though because the current course i am on is monday to friday. But I could get a private tutor to help me with my maths and english as i've had one befor and it helped a lot. would it be possible to return to the recruitment office saying im currently attending college and that im taking private maths and english lessons? Also if it helps im currently doing my 1st deploma in sport.
  3. I suggest that you take a GCSE in English.
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Dumb cnut, I like you, you make me look clever. :p
  5. You can return as often as you want, they are there to help you not put you off joining.
  6. I'd have thought this should be on 'newbies'...c'mon mods ! :?
  7. Hi Josh!

Welcome to Rum Ration!

First of all, browse through this thread and pay careful attention to it.

Now, the CAs can allow a resit after 6 months, but only if the candidate has clearly undertaken study in the meantime which will remedy the particular difficulties which he/she had the first time he/she sat the test. Only your CA will know where you tripped up the first time and only he/she can judge whether you have been doing an area of study in the meantime which will enable you to take the RT again and pass it. There is no point in coming back and saying you have been "studying" and taking the RT again, only to fail it in exactly the same place because your studies hadn't targeted your weaker area. Does this make sense to you?

You need to be very confident of cracking it the next time round, to be honest, because the AFCO doesn't allow endless goes at the test. It will be much better for you to establish beforehand with your CA that you are now capable of reaching a suitable standard in every section of the test, than to rush at it and fail the same section again and be bitterly disappointed.

My advice would be to compose an e-mail to your CA this weekend - I will give you the e-mail address if need be - and ask him/her which areas of the test led you to fail. Tell him/her exactly what kind of lessons you have done since, so that he/she can assess the degree to which you are likely to have covered the elements which have caused you problems so far. Ask whether he/she thinks that you are ready and if not, ask what he/she advises you to do to guarantee that you are.
  8. You cruel, cruel bar steward!
  9. what the heck is this test ???? i dont remember any quizzes back in 62 to enter ganges.
  10. what the heck is this test ???? i dont remember any quizzes back in 62 to enter ganges.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

That's why it took so long to train people at Ganges compared to Raleigh... :wink:

But seriously, the "quiz" (aka: Recruiting Test) has been used since 1943.
  12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Interesting about the training times, I joined in 1960 at sixteen and 3 months, had been advised to wait for that age to avoid the long training time at Ganges.

I joined as a junior sparker but in an adult entry scheme, one week at Collingwood for kitting up then the rest of the nine months at Mercury for the RO's course.

I presume that the Ganges set up was to catch lads straight out of school (leaving age was 15 in those days) and occupy them until they were of an age to join the Fleet?

Given that there are no direct comparisons with the Sparkers role now a days how long is the basic trade training after initial new entry training?