Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I dont miss him

Deroglitter

Midshipman
I have read every military meme that e presses deep love and sorrowful tears when a spouse/partner is on deployment or away, my DH has been away training for a year and comes back every other weekend, thing is I don't miss him anymore and resent when he comes home, he spends his time sat on the sofa watching g the Simpsons, leaving his crap lying all over the place, winds the kids up and generally being an a##e. I work long hours and deal with family life. I get replies like "oh he works hard for his country" "he needs to rest" or my favourite "He's in the navy" .
So, because he's in the navy does that give him the right to come home and be a lazy inconsiderate bunghole?
Why does his profession give him higher kudos than say, my job, which by the way is pretty damn special, a paediatric nurse, plus I've got everything else to attend to....
When his training day ends he goes to the pub, bowling, the gym,into town, hangs out with the boys!!!
He's on the train literally 19 minutes from home and I can feel my blood pressure already rising.
I'm assuming I will receive a barrage of abuse back for daring to selfishly not be kowtowing to my military spousal life, but you know what, I deserve a rant too and am not all starry eyed yay for my important naval husband. I'm tired.

Everyone's entitled to a rant.But thats what can happen when You marry an Admiral of the Fleet. I know,all You initially wanted was a solid gold bathroom,and a pet Tiger. But now Your stuck with the sack of porridge. Such is life.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I have read every military meme that e presses deep love and sorrowful tears when a spouse/partner is on deployment or away, my DH has been away training for a year and comes back every other weekend, thing is I don't miss him anymore and resent when he comes home, he spends his time sat on the sofa watching g the Simpsons, leaving his crap lying all over the place, winds the kids up and generally being an a##e. I work long hours and deal with family life. I get replies like "oh he works hard for his country" "he needs to rest" or my favourite "He's in the navy" .
So, because he's in the navy does that give him the right to come home and be a lazy inconsiderate bunghole?
Why does his profession give him higher kudos than say, my job, which by the way is pretty damn special, a paediatric nurse, plus I've got everything else to attend to....
When his training day ends he goes to the pub, bowling, the gym,into town, hangs out with the boys!!!
He's on the train literally 19 minutes from home and I can feel my blood pressure already rising.
I'm assuming I will receive a barrage of abuse back for daring to selfishly not be kowtowing to my military spousal life, but you know what, I deserve a rant too and am not all starry eyed yay for my important naval husband. I'm tired.
Bin him then

Sumo

War Hero
he is only 19 mins away on a train,is he takin the piss, it takes me longer than that to travel to and from home?
when he shows up at weekend have your bags packed had over the kids and say see you Sunday I am duty weekend

Last edited:

Sumo

War Hero
I would just like it if heput his tea cup in the sink
many moons ago when my brother tried the lazy slob approach his wife decided to do nothing for him, no cooking washing or cleaning and no bed time play. He got the message, took a while but he eventually got the message. Best you can do is talk to him, not at him or little subtle hints we bloke don't do subtle.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The fact someone is in the Navy, Army, Civilian or both (Air Force) doesn't mean they cannot be a hoop, frankly.

Hard to believe, but even I'm not perfect. Sometimes.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
DH?

Divisional Hand?

Directing Hat?

Is that not a mumsnet term?

PS - yes, I do know what it actually stands for. Same as DS and DD. We are very used to acronyms here.

fishhead

War Hero
On a serious note it is well known that when a member of the family is away from home working those remaining behind develope their own way of coping with the absence. They slip into a routine which after while usually works well for them until the person who has been absent returns and knocks the routine out of kilter. The feeling of resentment is far from uncommon and the returnees thinking they deserve a hero's welcome cannot understand when they don't get it. If they compound it by being a slob it will make matters worse but they see it as little time to be away from the rigours of service life and to truly relax. A quiet word may be needed to jog the memory of what family duties are and standard that is expected so as not to annoy everyone else in the house.

barny006

War Hero
I know my wife used to resent me trying to pick up the pieces when I came home, like asking when/or why this and that bill was/ wasn't paid, soon learned to but out.

Deroglitter

Midshipman
Just came back to this after nearly a year, some of the comments made me laugh. Unfortunately they don't seem to make OMO anymore... Pity, lol. Situation is still pretty much the same, I did let him know that when he's at work he's in the navy and can faff around all he wants, but at hone he is husband and dad. He is more than capable of joining in with the mundane civvyness of home life , he needs to realise that, no, he will not get a heros welcome for going to the pub with the lads.
When he's deployed, I worry and fret and am genuinely pleased he is still alive but if he just trundles home after being on base all week (live off base) from, in his words "fannying about doing shit" then he can sure as hell fanny around doing shit at home too. I'm just not gooey eyed as other spouses, too long at this game.
Don't get me wrong this is not a dis on the navy or even married to the navy, but more of a moan about inconsideration. I've done my share of driving cross country to sit and cheer in draughty outside benches, flag waving, cheering. Fretting and all the other highs and lows of supporting my navy husband. Its my turn for the cheering section.
Just saying......

skyvet

GCM
Trade him in for a sundodger. We take courses in domesticity, and are highly skilled in all aspects of household maintenance, dhobying, cooking and sprog management. :D

Sumo

War Hero
Trade him in for a sundodger. We take courses in domesticity, and are highly skilled in all aspects of household maintenance, dhobying, cooking and sprog management. :D

@skyvet I don’t think how to flush SLOP, SAN, SEW; How to fix the dhobying machine and tumble dryer, so we don’t smell so bad and looking after sprog Part3’s is what this lady is after, as for cooking leave that to the Galley slaves.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Ex crab applying to the submariners .... (dont hate me) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 120
C Really upset, and i dont know what to do??? Joining the Royal Navy 5
Joint_Force_Harrier Things that dont p*ss you off. The Fleet Air Arm 2
D Dont worry, Ill ask my local unit...... Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
M I dont know what to do! Nearest & Dearest 12
wet_blobby Dont know if this is gen but made I Laugh.. Diamond Lil's 0
scouse Flying lower than a Buccaneer...... I dont believe it!!! The Fleet Air Arm 19
scouse Pingers dont you, look at this !!! The Fleet Air Arm 5
wet_blobby Dont take the P1ss, Ghingers have souls... Diamond Lil's 11
C Dont speed in Georgia Motoring 9
Topstop Equality has its price, Wimmin dont want it after all! Current Affairs 0
A Dont understand this waiting business? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R I dont smoke! Blue Jokes 1
moshe7158 OLD RN BOXERS DONT FADE AWAY THEY MOVE TO AUSTRALIA Sports and Adventure Training 1
yamyamdabber Clock off for a smoke! Why dont the Navy save money! Current Affairs 15
NotmeChief Dont you hate not getting answer you hoped for. Diamond Lil's 10
scouse Wiki Leaks, and dont shot me im only the messenger The Gash Barge 0
rod-gearing Dont look up Diamond Lil's 8
J Dont like it? get your chit in then....... The Quarterdeck 19
M Dont walk on the grass??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 57
lesbryan Dont patronise them Bases / Shore Est 20
rod-gearing Dont you just wish...... Diamond Lil's 22
wet_blobby We can bug you but dont bug us..... Diamond Lil's 14
wet_blobby Ouch...dont p1ss off a scouse bird Diamond Lil's 13
F JPA - good or bad... your views ..... dont forget to vote! The Gash Barge 2
D Exchanging your travel warrent (dont mess it up) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
lorraine newbies - dont attack me please History 19
Ships_Cat Dont Tase me Bro!! The Gash Barge 0
The_Wonderer They just dont get it do they? RMR 26
josiecats what people SHOULD realy say after sex but DONT !! Diamond Lil's 34
ET(MESM)whogivesafeck why dont you get a beer ration on T boats Submariners 21
angry_mac Senior Service Dont ya' know The Quarterdeck 38
brazenhussy Not fcuking PC- dont care! Diamond Lil's 43
brazenhussy Dont read this Diamond Lil's 35
The_Wonderer I really dont understand! The Quarterdeck 15
brazenhussy dont give a s**t!! Diamond Lil's 35
andym Dont like it! Diamond Lil's 7
brazenhussy men- word of advice- dont blow ur wages in the pub!! The Quarterdeck 5
josiecats Dont Buy Your Wife A Taser!!!!!!!!!!! The Gash Barge 5
chockhead819 Arent you glad we dont ... Diamond Lil's 9
R If I dont make it as an officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Aussie and Kiwi tech companies won’t miss London Tech Week 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 06/2020: Signal passed at stop and near miss, Deansgate-Castlefield tram stop, Manchester MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Signal passed at danger and subsequent near-miss at Chalfont & Latimer station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Near miss with a track worker at Leighton Buzzard MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Near miss at Worlingham user worked crossing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Don’t miss out, claim Child Benefit by phone or post, HMRC tells new parents MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extra protection for businesses with ban on evictions for commercial tenants who miss rent payments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over a third of British households miss out on bill savings by not changing home energy use MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 16/2019: Near miss between a passenger train and lorry at Mucking AHB level crossing MoD News 0