I don't like the mob so I'm leaving ?

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by Scran_Bag, Jun 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A question for the more knowledgeable amonst us.

Whilst watching Warship on the box last night ( after several Stellas ), I think that I saw some young female Subbie just hand her notice in, pack her bags & walk off the next day, stating that she was bored.

Have things changed so much since my time in the mob ( late 60's, early 70's ) that you can just wrap your hand in because you don't like the job that you're doing ?

When I signed on the dotted line, that was it. The only way out was death, serve your time or apply for D by P, which was almost impossible because of the cost and the time-span involved.

If I remember correctly, this young girl had cost over £60,000 to train, yet was allowed to walk.

Have the forces gone barmy, is there 1 rule for Orificers and another for the workers, or am I just missing the plot totally ?

3. Didn't actually see it so I might be off base, but she might have been a trainee. Bear in mind that it's several years since I was a training officer, so the rules may have changed a little.

Once one Fleet Time it becomes reasonably straighforward to get out, and it depends on the individual just how much effort the Young Officers Training Officer will actually put in to managing that. In some cases it's a question of mentoring through a rough patch, in other cases it's a sigh of relief that they've recognised the inevitable. I've dealt with both in the past.

fwiw it's good to see someone come through the other side and go on to be a success, it's disappointing that someone can get that far in training and not have realised before then that it's not for them.
  5. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Whilst stiill 'Under Training' and not part of the trained strength a YO can walk right up to the day of their Fleet Board exam.

There are similar rules for JRs to opt out as well, Unhappy Junior etc.

Far be it for me to comment on her ability, but a good result for the Service was my view......
  6. Ah the unhappy junior rule. While buffer of 809 squadron at RAF Honington I used to go and buy (very cheaply) DC marked kit for anyone who needed it. So many unhappy juniors leaving, and so much kit needing a new owner. No excuse then for scruffy kit :thumright:
  7. Thanks for updating me Karma & S.F.

My, how times have changed.

I'm feeling quite ancient now.

:thumright: :thumright:
  8. My sentiments exactly,(and I never served when girlies were allowed on ships or object to them serving on ships now)