I don't believe it!

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by finknottle, Jun 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No doubt I will be smartly corrected if I am wrong but I was recently informed by a reliable source that submariners no longer have to do the escape tank drill at Dolphin, the H&S faceless ones have deemed that they must now watch the instructor perform the drill as it is far too dangerous for the lads, has the service gone completely mad?
  2. I think you will find "The Madness" goes a little further and deeper than the service. :wink:

3. So I have heard. :cry:
  4. You are correct that it is no longer done finknottle, but I don't think that the reason was Health & Safety.

I'm sure Wrecker or one of the others will confirm or otherwise.
  5. And mainstream media\politicians wonder why "extremist" political views are now becoming more prevalent.
  6. I've posted this somewhere before but can't find it so I'll recap.

The end of pressurised training has nothing to do with H&S.
    The rules for entry to the armed forces is no treatment for asthma for 4 years prior to entry, for submariners,divers etc you can't have had asthma full stop. Doc's these days (sorry Angrydoc) dole out inhalers for many reasons but once it's on your doc's, that's it.

If an inhaler had been prescribed the rating had to go to INM for full lung function tests and the waiting list was huge causing long holdovers. The powers that be decided if a trainee was held over for more than 3 months they be given the choice of GS or outside.

I was a Phase 2 trainee submariner DO at the time, and although we tried to get as many lads on to career course etc whilst waiting for INM appointments, the wastage and blockage in the training system was unsustainable.

As all survivable SM accidents have occurred on the relatively shallow continental shelf it was decided to bin pressurised training with the emphasis being on DSRV rescue as the preferred method, no good if the water is p1ssing into the people tube so how to do a rush escape and putting on the suit in a flooding compartment is still taught.

Bit long winded but I hope that answers your question Finks
  7. WreckerL, a comprehensive answer and I have no reason to doubt what you say, however I will have to have a word with my serving SNCO reliable source.

witsend, Mrs F still likes me to dress up in a rubber suit at the weekends.
  8. Please do get a second opinion, as I say I was a DO at the SM school when it finally went through. If needs be I can give you the name of the SM school Cdr who drove it all if you wish.

If you think my response is unreliable perhaps you could PM me the name of the "reliable" SNCO source, I may know him. As an aside why use the term SNCO, Senior Rate is the usual title?
  9. Sorry WreckerL - for the "target" fraternity, what is the difference between a pressurised escape and a rush escape then?

Finks terminology was a bit squiffy. Surely not a Walt??? :)

10. Pressurised escape was a free ascent from 9m and 18m (30ft & 60ft in old money) which simulated a rush escape. You then completed one 30m (100ft) ascent in an SEIE (Submarine Escape Immersion Equipment), presently a Mk 10 with a liferaft), called a comprtment escape. In a real situation you escape one at a time through the escape tower so only the escapee is subjected to pressure. Now they enter a compartment on ground level which is rapidly flooded and you get the suit on and duck under the tower and back out again but the compartment isn't pressurised.
    In a real situation the submarine would be pressurised to overcome sea water pressure. Rush escape is a last resort used when the boat is experiencing uncontrollable flooding.
  11. Pity - it was an experience I was never sure whether I enjoyed or not, but one I'm glad I did.
  12. And I would like to bet that most submariners know that in all but extremely rare cases the escape theory is just a feel good factor.
    The world was not teaming with survivors from boats in 1945. :(
  13. One is when you're told to get the fuck out and the other is when you're jumping over every other fucker to get your suit first!? :p
  14. Succintly (and wrongly) put.
  15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Once more a serious question is asked and answered and along comes Reverend knowing the square root of feck all and crayons on the thread.
  16. In Lil's of all places, who would've thought
  17. Sorry, the irony was too much to take
  18. Don't fret yourself, I got the play on words
  19. Glad someone did........why are we whispering?