Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i decided to choose Royal Navy Naval Airman

Today i took part in my RT, unfortunately i didnt get the job i wanted and was handed a list of career paths and i choose^^^ i read up on the job and it sounds exciting. is there any Naval Airmen on here who can tell me a bit more about the job role so i can revise for my interview? thanks in advance

Subsunk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Today i took part in my RT, unfortunately i didnt get the job i wanted and was handed a list of career paths and i choose^^^ i read up on the job and it sounds exciting. is there any Naval Airmen on here who can tell me a bit more about the job role so i can revise for my interview? thanks in advance

Welcome. Were you offered Naval Airman (Aircraft Handler)?

Handler

War Hero
Oh dear, I had to sit quiet for a little while, then all those days and Times started to flood back.Better stop, while going is good lol.

Sent from my KFTT using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

andy198712

Lantern Swinger
Handlers have just picked up extra SE duties while onboard, and the 9 month deployments they were told this week.

slim

War Hero
Ah Aircraft Handlers, I remember them well
The biggest bunch of tattood pissheads who were always dropping in the sh!t that I ever met.
They were a great bunch and good mates:wave:

Eagle3e2

Midshipman
I had a mate in Eagle (66-69 ) who was a LA (AH) 2 ,ie killick but" passed for PO and" Crown on badge" - his name was Bill "Paddy" Graham ,from Dublin . We played together in a folk-group . He was the Captains' Coxswain , the cushiest number on board ! - in harbour he "drove" the ship's Fairey Huntress speed boat ( think "From Russia With Love" ) , whilst at sea he "sat under a Pusser's clock,waiting for Tot Time " then got his head down all afternoon in the Huntress's cabin ! Sadly, after a long RN career and then service with the Probation Service in Scotland, he is no longer with us.Another Handler shipmate , who served for many years , is still around and is a professional Folk-Singer ( George Wilson ).

Roger Mills REM(A) Air Engineering Dept. , HMS Eagle , 1966-69

Subsunk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Incidentally, the powerboat chase scene in 'From Russia with Love' featured Peter Twiss driving one of the boats. After being an RN test pilot, and then being the first man to fly faster than 1000 mph in the Fairey Delta, he sold Fairey powerboats and starred in a Bond film. Jealous.

Eagle3e2

Midshipman
Yes, it was a beautiful boat ; the ship's Captain in 1966 was Captain JCY Roxburgh :His house was on the other side of Plymouth Sound, and Bill could be seen creaming down the Hamoaze in the morning to fetch "The Boss ". Later Captain John E Pope took over as Commanding Officer (on Ascension Day , 1967 !! Who says Pusser doesn't have a sense of humour ? ) but by that time we were getting ready for sea trials,work up etc. I think that Bill did a few fast runs up the Swan River when we were in Fremantle ,though .And Hong Kong ,probably ; I couldn't see the Skipper disembarking from a rymo taxi in Wanchai,to be honest.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
A mate sold his Huntress, still in pretty original condition, last year. I'm told that a couple of the Bass Boats running out of Weymouth started life as Huntresses you wouldn't know to look at them, everything stripped out and a wheelhouse built forward
s

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Bulwark (R08 version) had a Huntress as the skippers boat, always wanted to have a play in it but they wouldn't let me :(

Captain Birdseye

Lantern Swinger
Hi Kieren, I have gone for an AH - that was my intention. I have my medical next Tuesday and I was told by my CA that I could have an entry date next June which will be even better. I applied in July this year. What job did you originally want to go for?

Hi Kieren, I have gone for an AH - that was my intention. I have my medical next Tuesday and I was told by my CA that I could have an entry date next June which will be even better. I applied in July this year. What job did you originally want to go for?

Please don't tell your mum about this site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slim

War Hero
Kin ell! A chockhead with a needle and thread!!

They will be giving Pinkies Hammers and Stokers tweezers next!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you imagine it, not only will they be getting bigger tattoos but instead on getting them inked they will be using the sewing machine to ink them in;)

Handler

War Hero
Behave, the handlers are very much alive and kicking, good turn out for
r the armistice parade, Nostris to all and keep buggering in.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS First two planning appeals following the Rosewell Review process decided in record time MoD News 0
K Decided to join the Navy i have some questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Ja5on Decided to leave Diamond Lil's 83
_Tim_ How did your family react when you joined/decided to? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
K So I have decided Boats are the way to go Submariners 7
MoD_RSS Choose your own Analysis Adventure MoD News 0
couper172 Passed RT with higher score, not sure what to role to choose Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS News story: Dstl scientists inspire more women to choose STEM careers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD choose The Royal British Legion to lead help for veterans MoD News 0
kosta433 not sure what to choose? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
stan_the_man If you had to have a disease what would you choose Diamond Lil's 59
soleil Mail: Gov Refuses To Axe Dickensian Rules Forcing Army Widows To Choose Love/Pension Finance & Pensions 28
L Do you choose your job? The Gash Barge 44
stan_the_man You can choose your friends but not your family Diamond Lil's 42
trelawney126 Dutch choose 2024 World Cup Team The Gash Barge 0
B Why Choose the Royal Marines? The Corps 16
whitemouse What nationality would you choose to be if...... Diamond Lil's 37
soleil Times: "Pirates choose wrong target - a French warship" International 13
D What branch should I choose? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
N WHICH CAREER SHOULD I CHOOSE?? HELP I MUST KNOW BY FRIDAY Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 66
Navy_Wolf1987 Career in Navy -help to choose branch Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 95
G No idea which to choose out of these trades!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
Garry17 PLEASE Help me choose my Job Have recieved options Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
NotmeChief Scammed by a Russian or a Nigerian - know which one I choose The Quarterdeck 9
golden_rivet which 3 or 4 would you choose? The Quarterdeck 19
ProudNavyWife(tooBe) What branch should I choose Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
F Who would you choose to have in for Christmas meal?? 3 only! Diamond Lil's 34
O Why did everyone choose to join the Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 79
babba I just cant choose. Can you help. Diamond Lil's 6
Gazza82 Choose ship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S Choose your side The Gash Barge 0
C God knows what job to choose,RN site has lil info... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Sentencing Code granted Royal Assent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New partnership with The Alan Turing Institute and Royal Statistical Society to support Joint Biosecurity Centre COVID-19 response MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil Royal Marines Charity: "Mark Ormrod Awarded MBE" The Corps 1
soleil Daily Mail: "Proud Dad Gordon Ramsay Reveals Son Jack, 20, Has Joined The Royal Marines" The Corps 5
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
soleil New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners Submariners 18
M Royal Navy interviews Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Royal Navy Handymen The Fleet 21