i dabbled in drugs when i was younger

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by noise, Sep 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello. i am very keen on joining the navy but am worried that giving a urine sample at my medical will prevent me from being accepted. I dabbled in some soft drugs when i was a teenager 7 years ago.
    could anybody offer me any advice?

2. Im no expert on this but if you have not touched it since, and not been in trouble with the police over it you should be fine.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Providing you haven't taken drugs in 7 years, it's unlikely you will fail the Compulsory Drugs Test in phase one training.

There's no such thing as soft drugs really. If you have convictions for possession with intent to supply then it's likely to be a no-go.

Good luck.

4. Dont join up the Royal Navy depends on capable People you are a liability
    Man who has lost a leg fine
    Dont insult the guys who have been in for ytears drugs are not accepted over to SGT PEPPER

5. Shippers, he probably hasn't done anything different to 90% of other teenagers. If we only recruited saints we wouldn't have any Armed Forces at all.

If you've not touched anything for 7 years you'll be fine.

6. Given the hysteria before any tests (newbies threads ) poor sod is probably refering to paracetamol.

7. Could also be Nails again.

8. That's what I was thinking. Can't even be bothered wasting my time with a sarcastic reply.

9. As soon as i saw the thread title it smacked of bollock chops!!!

10. Angrydoc is monitoring.....

11. 3 lead of 12???
    :wink:

12. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

The only thing missing is "It was Rohypnol", and the follow up question, "I now walk funny, will this effect my marching?".

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It may well be a wind-up, however it would be naive in the extreme to imagine that only one person has a query regarding the RN drugs policy given that the vast majority of eligible joiners have tried illegal drugs at some stage of their life - whether they care to admit it or otherwise.

We don't reject individuals who are honest, merely those who have certain convictions or those that have an attitude to drugs which is incompatible with service life.

14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Some of our best intel regarding the current drug culture comes from young recruits into the RN... :wink:

15. In my yoof the main worry of the authorities was tobacco. :roll:

I used to a prefect and patrol the bike shed looking for the familiar offenders. As I was opposed to caning, the punishment for smokers, I used to invite them to donate 50p to my weekly beer fund in return for me turning a blind eye, and every Thursday have a half pint with a number of other Praes.

Of course in THOSE days (the 1970s) police corruption was rife, so I was just following their grown-up example. :roll: :twisted:

16. Nailz

I dabbled in heterosexuality when I was younger, but luckily grew out of it before I became addicted. :biggrin: As I haven't experimented with it for over 30 years, would I be eligible to join up? :roll:

Inmate of Bethlem Hospital
    c/o Imperial War Museum, London