I can only remember Middys with?? (white lapels) Regulars

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Feb 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They also had Blue Cloth on the Lapel for RNR . Also Red cloth on the Lapel for RNVR

2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I think I rememember some sort of distinction like that in 1956 when we had RNR (merchant service) mids and National Service RNVR mids in 'my' gunroom. Racks brain, was it different colour patch or coloured twist? The detail escapes me.

3. Re: I can only remember Middys with?? (white lapels) Regular

There is a very useful page about badges of rank, including various midshipman collar insignia, on the naval-history.net website here. As an RN Cadet, I wore the insignia without a white background until promoted to Midshipman.

4. Seaweed

Here are the officers of HMS Kent relaxing in Esquimault in 1915 (where they were sent to get patched up after Falklands and chasing the Dresden). The Mids (in the front row) are all RNR - definitely not white patches but as it's a b/w photo that's as far as it goes!

[​IMG]

NB Chief and Paybob have no Executive curl; RNR Lt Cdr has straight 1/2 stripe; think that's the Gunner on L of mids.

5. Re: I can only remember Middys with?? (white lapels) Regular

Thats brill :wink: :wink: You are now advanced to Admiral of the Fleet RR henceforth SIR :wink:

6. :roll: :roll: The Skipper is a dead ringer for Doveton Sturdee!!!! :roll: :wink: :wink:

7. Seaweed

He's actually Captain John D (unsurprisingly 'Darby') Allan RN.

8. Thanks for this thread Scouse and those links from shipsnthat and Naval Gazer, no wonder the ranks all morphed into one style, must have cost a fortune to keep producing them. I see the SCC keep the wavy navy style of the RNVR do they have a commodore rank using the RNVR style?
    My avatar has the RNVR style of LCDR in tribute to the RNVR and the Battle of the Atlantic....

9. No. The Commodore of the Sea Cadets is in fact a serving RN commodore.

10. Thanks for that dunkers

11. Re: I can only remember Middys with?? (white lapels) Regular

I think it's a Captain now though - Captain Jonathan Fry RN. Unless there is still a Commodore nominally in post, which is entirely possible.