Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emnavy

I am going into training in the next couple of months and I am really struggling with the press ups, I have been doing press ups and working out for about 2 years now and seen no progress, I don’t know what to do as everything I seem to do just doesn’t work I’ve tried doing press ups on my knees and inclines and I can sort of do them but no normal press ups any ideas on what to do?

Emnavy

I can’t do any press ups with my arms locked into my side but with my arms out I can do about 4-5 but they are difficult

Alfacharlie

War Hero
I can’t do any press ups with my arms locked into my side but with my arms out I can do about 4-5 but they are difficult
Exercise’Lat pull downs’ in the gym. Light weight, high reps. Also, your core exercises should be improved. Plank etc.

The secret to doing press ups....
Keep doing them.

ETA: Blimey, I think you may struggle in basic if you haven’t got this squared away.
Good luck though, I wish you all the best.

improve your chest and tricep with weights if you can or just do some push up with hands further apart until you are comfortable then move on to the way the military does it properly. if you are struggling to do push ups i would recommend to improve your core strength a lot. (if that doesn't help watch some vids on youtube on how to improve)

Emnavy

I have been trying to improve my chest and triceps with weights, obviously the two lockdowns don’t help with the gyms being shut and I don’t have a lot of space at home, I’m fine with the run and the sit ups so I just really need to practice on press ups, i have 2 months left and I need to sort this out soon, I guess I just need to focus on this, because of Covid I haven’t had a weekend away and I never got a Royal Navy fitness plan but I’ve been going to the gym when it was open almost every night if I could or at least 3-4 times a week and had a PT at college there was a ex PTI as my tutor but he told us the wrong form and that.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
I have been trying to improve my chest and triceps with weights, obviously the two lockdowns don’t help with the gyms being shut and I don’t have a lot of space at home, I’m fine with the run and the sit ups so I just really need to practice on press ups, i have 2 months left and I need to sort this out soon, I guess I just need to focus on this, because of Covid I haven’t had a weekend away and I never got a Royal Navy fitness plan but I’ve been going to the gym when it was open almost every night if I could or at least 3-4 times a week and had a PT at college there was a ex PTI as my tutor but he told us the wrong form and that.
Just practice.

Waspie

War Hero
You'll have less space on board but folk manage.
We used to run on the spot, 'press ups', squats, a few coordination type exercises!! All is possible. Physical health is as much mental attitude.

Practice. There must be a web site which shows you how to do them properly.

Don't use Covid as an excuse, rise above it and practice.

Perry

Lantern Swinger
You don't need a gym to lift weights or do press ups. Think about what you have access to. Fill a couple of buckets with soil or use a bag of sand. I’m 68 and could do 5 press ups easy.

So get to it, grit your teeth and crack on, good luck.

Give this a try, practice angled pressup, if you haven't got the step-up boxes in the video (gyms being shut and all) maybe use a chair, small table or staircase?

You don't need a gym to lift weights or do press ups. Think about what you have access to. Fill a couple of buckets with soil or use a bag of sand. I’m 68 and could do 5 press ups easy.

So get to it, grit your teeth and crack on, good luck.
I'm going on 73 and a press up would be akin to leaving a suicide note....and effect wife's insurance payout.....though she does encourage me to keep fit....:)

Joking aside...you can do it.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wet_blobby 99.9% of drinkers cant cope with this.... Diamond Lil's 3
D Why cant the RFA all wear the same uniform? RFA 9
Joint_Force_Harrier The SAS cant get him so send in the Crabs!!!!! Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 16
jesse Cant get back onto ARRSE Bloody Computers 4
deano_navy cant find the answer to this anywhere... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Powder Cant what I am typing on long posts and Is there a... Site Issues 3
chipaz cant wait for... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
N I cant believe it The Gash Barge 15
scouse The Navy cant go Anywhere else?? Adm Band Current Affairs 9
P I cant log out! Site Issues 7
rod-gearing You cant crack me I'm a rubber duck! Diamond Lil's 19
F Nasty Scam YOU cant do much about! (baseball bat req'd) Diamond Lil's 7
J A few questions, cant find a proper answer anywhere! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
babba I just cant choose. Can you help. Diamond Lil's 6
brazenhussy cant live without......... Diamond Lil's 23
M EYE SIGHT!!!! Some one please help cant find answer for this Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
ukdaytona We cant now call them Gangs Diamond Lil's 9
Chicogiz Cant wait!! The Gash Barge 9
T The RAF Cant even get us home Current Affairs 31
MoD_RSS Statistical press release: Energy Consumption in the UK 2020 MoD News 0
BillyNoMates The man who didn't press the button. History 1
P Sit up/ press up test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
MoD_RSS CDC board meeting with Ghanaian stakeholders: Press statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK energy statistics: statistical press release - September 2020 MoD News 0
soleil Lochside Press: "Camilla Calls At Faslane To See HMS Astute" Submariners 7
MoD_RSS PM press conference statement: 9 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Sec to press for renewed dialogue in Israel and OPTs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 2nd UK-Philippines Economic Dialogue Joint Press Statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statistical press release: Digest of UK Energy Statistics 2020 MoD News 0
pompeyexpat ‘ I Wouldn't Want to Press the Nuclear Button for Boris Johnson’ Current Affairs 8
MoD_RSS UK energy statistics: statistical press release - June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM statement at the coronavirus press conference: 16 June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM statement at the coronavirus press conference: 10 June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM statement at the coronavirus press conference: 3 June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM press conference statement on the five tests: 28 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM press conference statement: 25 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM press conference statement: 24 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement by Media Freedom Coalition on World Press Freedom Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS E3 and Netherlands Foreign Ministers Statement on World Press Freedom Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press statement by Security Council Members calling for the immediate cessation of hostilities in Yemen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster opens the coronavirus press conference: 31 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK energy statistics: statistical press release - March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS "Take aim, press print." MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary's joint press conference Turkish Foreign Minister, March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM statement at coronavirus press conference: 3 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FCO press release: Change of Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Morocco - September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FCO press release: Change of British High Commissioner to India - Spring 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FCO press release: Change of Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the Republic of Niger - March 2020 MoD News 0
soleil Press & Journal: "North-East MP Calls For Navy To Bring Back Uni Reserves To Aberdeen" SCC and URNU 4
MoD_RSS FCO press release: Change of British High Commissioner to Tonga - February 2020 MoD News 0