Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am worthy of trying to earn the wings?

Hi everyone, nice to meet you all (virtually that is!) :hello2:

I have been thinking about a career in the FAA for a while now (as a pilot) but there are a couple of things holding me back.

Firstly my grades arent exactly what you would expect an officer/pilot to have! Reason being that when I took my mocks they were quite high, so very stupidly I was over confident that I didnt have to bother with coursework/additional study. As I need to retake the exams, would the Royal Navy be dubious of considering me for the job since I didnt pass with good results the first time round?

Secondly, my age - I am 20 at the moment. I believe the age limit is 26 so as daft as this comment sounds, I wonder if there will be any bias against someone my age since the selection and training takes a long time and the Royal Navy would want a fair amount of years out of me whilst I'm young-ish (12 years I believe)?

Last but not least, not to do with the FAA but sport. I am keen oarsman and I would like to keep up with my rowing if I do join the Royal Navy. Does anyone on here row?

I just thought I would ask those first two questions on here since I'd rather be heckled on rumration than be laughed out of the AFCO! (but be gentle!) :roll:

Thanks for any comments/advice its greatly appreciated. You are all doing a fantastic job, I hope I can work alongside you all one day :notworthy:
 

angry_mac

War Hero
If not academically qualified for pilot, why not Obsever, of which the FAA are very short of. Sport, well the navy will fully support especially if you are rather good, but operational deployments will always take precedence. Good luck.
 

stumpy

War Hero
When in doubt, go for it!

Most ships will have a rowing machine onboard. I know that it is not the same but it will allow you to keep your oar in! (Groan!)
 

slim

War Hero
angry_mac said:
If not academically qualified for pilot, why not Obsever, of which the FAA are very short of. Sport, well the navy will fully support especially if you are rather good, but operational deployments will always take precedence. Good luck.

I think you will find the observer is the one normally more academically qualified.
 

Blobmeister

Badgeman
If you don't have the quals, come to the Army and be a better pilot and fly Apache (bigger guns to kill people with)
 

hnhnwilliam

Lantern Swinger
slim said:
angry_mac said:
If not academically qualified for pilot, why not Obsever,

I think you will find the observer is the one normally more academically qualified.

I think you are correct in assuming that an observer is the one more academically qualified. Often quoted by an observer officer I served with who wanted to be a pilot in the first place, his father decreed that " no son of mine is going to be a manuel labourer"
 

hnhnwilliam

Lantern Swinger
mods_and_rockers said:
Hi everyone, nice to meet you all (virtually that is!) :hello2:

I have been thinking about a career in the FAA for a while now (as a pilot) but there are a couple of things holding me back.

Try the "back door" and become an English Prince, this should help.
 
IF you can impress the board then it doesn't matter how many times you took an exam.

To the age thing I took the board at 24 and they accepted me. I went through training with a guy who was 26 and an ex manager for tesco fruit and veg. The training currently takes 4 years for commando rotary, looking about 5 and a half years for merlin. Of course if you're royalty you can do this in about 3 months (Grrr..........).

As to the observer issue don't go unless you really want to do it. Nothing worse than getting banter you don't deserve such as "no stick, no vote". If you're good enough for either go for what you want not what you feel you "deserve".

As for the rowing that may impress the board, Dartmouth has a very good gig team. Not sure about pure rowing ala Oxford V Cambridge but I am fairly certain the PTI's there will point you in the direction of a guy that will be able to satisfy your every need and desire. As for the rest of the fleet and your particular sport most bases have clubs to help your "passion"
 
matelo99 said:
IF you can impress the board then it doesn't matter how many times you took an exam.

To the age thing I took the board at 24 and they accepted me. I went through training with a guy who was 26 and an ex manager for tesco fruit and veg. The training currently takes 4 years for commando rotary, looking about 5 and a half years for merlin. Of course if you're royalty you can do this in about 3 months (Grrr..........).

As to the observer issue don't go unless you really want to do it. Nothing worse than getting banter you don't deserve such as "no stick, no vote". If you're good enough for either go for what you want not what you feel you "deserve".

As for the rowing that may impress the board, Dartmouth has a very good gig team. Not sure about pure rowing ala Oxford V Cambridge but I am fairly certain the PTI's there will point you in the direction of a guy that will be able to satisfy your every need and desire. As for the rest of the fleet and your particular sport most bases have clubs to help your "passion"

Matelo99 cheers for clearing those questions up for me, I am most grateful!

Going to book an appointment with the AFCO for Friday

As for the rowing, I may even get the chance to row with Pete Reed one day! :thumright:
 

aljh

MIA
I can confirm that there is indeed a 'pure' rowing team at Dartmouth. Twice, sometimes three times a week in fact. It's quite probably the best sport to do there, as it gets you out of the college in the first seven weeks, which you otherwise would not be allowed to do. And maybe even a trip to Morrisons if you're lucky. We used to have the old college commander putting us through our paces in the gym on a Monday afternoon. He was a character to say the least.
He had a few brilliant lines to shout at people during the beastings:
'Show me your sex faces!!' and 'Sort your farking life out!'. He has left now however. He will be sorely missed.
 
hnhnwilliam said:
slim said:
angry_mac said:
If not academically qualified for pilot, why not Obsever,

I think you will find the observer is the one normally more academically qualified.

I think you are correct in assuming that an observer is the one more academically qualified. Often quoted by an observer officer I served with who wanted to be a pilot in the first place, his father decreed that " no son of mine is going to be a manuel labourer"
Surely Manuel labourers are called peons.
 
aljh said:
I can confirm that there is indeed a 'pure' rowing team at Dartmouth. Twice, sometimes three times a week in fact. It's quite probably the best sport to do there, as it gets you out of the college in the first seven weeks, which you otherwise would not be allowed to do. And maybe even a trip to Morrisons if you're lucky. We used to have the old college commander putting us through our paces in the gym on a Monday afternoon. He was a character to say the least.
He had a few brilliant lines to shout at people during the beastings:
'Show me your sex faces!!' and 'Sort your farking life out!'. He has left now however. He will be sorely missed.
Rowing? Sort your farking life out. If that's not rowing I don't know what rowing is
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
mods_and_rockers said:
Firstly my grades arent exactly what you would expect an officer/pilot to have! Reason being that when I took my mocks they were quite high, so very stupidly I was over confident that I didnt have to bother with coursework/additional study. As I need to retake the exams, would the Royal Navy be dubious of considering me for the job since I didnt pass with good results the first time round?

My personal view is that the fact that you've recognised what caused the problem and are doing something about demonstrates maturity and intelligence in a way that exams can't and don't. Don't see your results solely as failure, move on and be positive.

mods_and_rockers said:
Secondly, my age - I am 20 at the moment. I believe the age limit is 26 so as daft as this comment sounds, I wonder if there will be any bias against someone my age since the selection and training takes a long time and the Royal Navy would want a fair amount of years out of me whilst I'm young-ish (12 years I believe)?

The upper age is the cut-off not some arbitary age below it! There's a balance to be struck, while callow youths offer potentially longer in harnes, they also come with inexperience and immaturity - if your age is more in the middle of the application range, you'll offer a good balance between potential length of servitude coupled with already having had a number of your rough edges already knocked off!
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Futuristic ‘village’ concept launches at Worthy Down Station MoD News 0
C Life at worthy down as a RFA chef apprentice RFA 12
MoD_RSS New solar panels generate savings at Worthy Down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Trio of buildings completed at Worthy Down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Second phase of work to transform Worthy Down gathers pace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Worthy Down camp takes shape as first phase of construction completes MoD News 4
MoD_RSS News story: Social hub takes shape at Worthy Down MoD News 0
soleil Guardian H4H A Worthy Cause But Spare Us The Moral Blackmail Current Affairs 3
wet_blobby immigrants...some not worthy of good treatment. Diamond Lil's 11
sgtpepperband A Worthy Debate... Diamond Lil's 6
A Trying to identify a uniform History 21
MoD_RSS Surge in smokers trying to quit see increased success rates in 2020 MoD News 0
R Trying to trump the age stakes. Joining at 38, possibilities? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
L trying to get my medical Joining the Royal Navy 9
L I'm trying to find information on my Great Grandfather. Nearest & Dearest 2
Kiwi33 Re Join question. Failed Diver trying something different. Joining the Royal Navy 2
C TMU potentially PMU. Trying for MEO Joining the Royal Navy 17
couper172 Trying to apply through website Joining the Royal Navy 5
M Trying to book the PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
ws1602 Trying to join - fight against the medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Trying to prove a medal History 6
W Hello .. my name Dick Chaytor and i am trying to find anyone who were class mates of Blogs 31
A time done trying to find any 1 joined up 22/6/76 The Quarterdeck 24
soleil Mail: "Chinese Hackers Caught Trying To Steal Secrets Of Our New Stealth Fighter" The Fleet Air Arm 0
R Trying to find my Dad History 7
J Joining up. Trying to decide upon a specialisation. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
J Julia - Trying to trace my Father's WW2 record Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 22
SONAR-BENDER Trying to re-create a taste of 'The Old Navy' at home The Gash Barge 11
northern-matelot Trying to research my Great-Grandad The Quarterdeck 25
scouse Chockhead trying to do the FDOs Job!!!!! The Fleet Air Arm 1
TheLa Mail: "RN Loses 2,000lb WW2 Mine Off Essex Coast After Trying To Blow It Up" The Fleet 40
B Trying to find Barry Edward Adams Submariners 1
Rumrat Their really trying Diamond Lil's 33
R Trying to re-join the royal navy what a nightmare !!!!!! Submariners 17
C Trying to be Pro-active Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P DT article on Russians (trying) to track Trident boats Submariners 13
B Trying to find The Quarterdeck 28
NotmeChief Brown trying for the sympathy vote? Current Affairs 10
J Trying to find a "Michael" possibly Clarke HMS Dolphin 1975 Social & Reunions 7
Ja5on Trying to help my friend Charity 11
GuyC Trying to get fitness up to scratch Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
T Trying to transfer from army to navy please help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
L I'm trying to find someone! Can you help me please? The Corps 14
T Trying to trace Robert P Wilson History 22
K Trying to find an old Chops S URNU cox'n The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
V TRYING TO FIND MY FATHER AFTER 30YRS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
wet_blobby Help, trying to find a thread.... Diamond Lil's 2
H Trying to research deceased in-laws RNR & WRNS service Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
Nigaramus Trying to Re-establish branch of the Submariners Association Submariners 0
D Ex Stoker trying to become a Kiwi The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 14
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top