Hypersonic attack(s) on ship building yards

Taztiff

War Hero
Gibraltar? It's already got tunnels, mind you, making them big enough for a QE you'd soon run out of rock!

blinghfly

Well that’s the thing, I don’t know, I’m just trying to find out the easy way.

Ideally the facility should be built in England, for the greatest redundancy given possible succession from other parts of the kingdom, is there really no where?

Taztiff

War Hero
Well that’s the thing, I don’t know, I’m just trying to find out the easy way.

Ideally the facility should be built in England, for the greatest redundancy given possible succession from other parts of the kingdom, is there really no where?
Englands very own Gib, Portland!!!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Why did America build their NORAD operations facility into a mountain, and still maintain it today?

Why do the Iranians build nuclear research facilities underground?

Why did the Taliban dig themselves into mountains?

Why has the Swiss government been burrowing into their mountains for so many years?

Mountains are a safe haven from nuclear attack, and I should imagine hypersonic attack. It’s quite simple, asking questions to get the ball rolling is known as research, and where a mountain meets water the vessels can come and go.
All of these are a tad different from even considering hollowing out a mountain in the UK for ship-building. Fot a start, it would mean one yard got all the jobs, unless, in fairness, every ship-builed hollwed out their own mountain.

In short, it is bollix.

You need to do some real world research and see what other options are available to potential aggressors before they start lobbing 'hyper-sonic' missiles at ship-building sites.

So go back to school and ask a teacher tomorrow.

blinghfly

I don’t think I’ll pursue this forum any further. I thank janner for the most constructive replies.

It’s no wonder the public are indifferent to funding promises for H.M. Forces.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
If you think the public would be happy funding digging out a mountain to build a shipyard than have a google of the response HS2 or the Irish bridge has got.

Waspie

War Hero
I don’t think I’ll pursue this forum any further. I thank janner for the most constructive replies.

It’s no wonder the public are indifferent to funding promises for H.M. Forces.
Please don't slam the door when you leave, I've a massive headache!
Have a nice life and now just Foxtrot Oscar!

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Mmmm "risible" (probably a first outing for that word at RR) "...describes something that is laughable or amusing, like seeing dozens of clowns emerge from a very tiny car..." for a more complete definition please add -

" ...falling over themselves like lame lemmings hastening to engage in erudite debate on today's burning issue -

Shipbuilding in caves, caverns & potholes - Profundity or Bollocks?

BOBSERVATION

Flash to bang reaction time at OP was only 6 Minutes for our distinguished correspondent at Orca. BZ Wits...

... you cunning old stirrer :WINK:
Anyone late on a Saturday night who manages to mention NORAD, Thunderbirds, and the very excellent film Guns of Navarone all in a single paragraph, deserves a funny.

sampost

Midshipman
If you think the public would be happy funding digging out a mountain to build a shipyard than have a google of the response HS2 or the Irish bridge has got.
Pinewood Studio's might like the cave idea though! Remember the volcano in "You Only Live Twice?"

The bridge, btw, is a horrible idea, but if Boris wants to float on an inner tube out of Fingal's Cave we could assume that the Cummings character reads Rum Ration.