Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hypersonic attack(s) on ship building yards

blinghfly

Midshipman
The thinking goes that military bases are not the future, given their static nature as hypersonic missiles would be too difficult to defend against (at the very least the incoming shrapnel, at worst a continuous low cost barrage of them) which is where mobile "bases" like aircraft carriers have an advantage.

While the debate on the future of aircraft carriers will go on for the life of the QE and PoW, my thoughts turn to the shipyards that either build or maintain them (not so much decompile them) - you can see where I am going with this. How does the UK defend it's ship building yards from hypersonic attack?

My thoughts on the matter are to either build underground, but this would be no good for blue water fleet vessels, so why not into mountains that connect with water i.e. the The Guns of Navarone. Looking at the American's they have several ground bases in their mountains (NORAD), but do we have any Thunderbirds bases into ours?

Whether we do or not, I would like to know the merits on the idea of building shipyards into mountains, and how well they would fair against a direct attack?

Waspie

War Hero
My fingers are itching but I have managed to restrain myself from commenting other than to say Ballistic is spot on!!

blinghfly

Midshipman
I don't know what you are trying to say, I've posted in the wrong forum location or the idea is too risible to be debated?

Waspie

War Hero
If anybody has anything constructive to contribute towards my query on this forum then please do.
At 3 in the morning - good luck!! Only us night shift workers.
Maybe in the day the light may bring out some good orators!!! As for constructive! I'll 'wait out' on that one!

Waspie

War Hero
You obviously have a thing about 'hypersonic attacks' so why not just get it off your chest and blurt out what you really want to say or prove to us you have knowledge of.

blinghfly

Midshipman
Firing missiles into mountains doesn’t do much, so why not build ships on hollowed out caves?

Last edited:

Waspie

War Hero
Read up on Barnes Wallace in WW2. He designed weapons then to trash German sea caves harbouring Subs and larger surface raiders!! So move on some 70 years and think about what countries may have now!!
You do the thinking and research and stop asking what is essentially a hypothetical situation.
Its nothing new. For every aggressive weapon there will be a defensive one to counter it. If not, then one would quickly be manufactured.

Mmmm "risible" (probably a first outing for that word at RR) "...describes something that is laughable or amusing, like seeing dozens of clowns emerge from a very tiny car..." for a more complete definition please add -

" ...falling over themselves like lame lemmings hastening to engage in erudite debate on today's burning issue -

Shipbuilding in caves, caverns & potholes - Profundity or Bollocks?

BOBSERVATION

Flash to bang reaction time at OP was only 6 Minutes for our distinguished correspondent at Orca. BZ Wits...

... you cunning old stirrer :WINK:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
How do you get the ship from the mountain to the sea?

That would be on helluva launch and splash as a destroyer hurtles past you seaward.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
What mountains would you be thinking of?
We don't have many lumps in the UK that could be hollowed out sufficiently to make a protective base.
But wait! Hold on!
We could look to the regions where warships and submarines are constructed and build our very own mountains over them instead! Lord knows, this country could generate enough landfill and crap to put up an entire mountain range over Devonport in - say five years..... much the same can be said for Portsmouth and Faslane. As for Barrow in Furness, well it would only take about a month to shovel enough shite together to construct our very own version of the Andes and bury everything deep, deep underground.
I mean, in time once our own mountains get established, we could build ski resorts on top of them whilst Babcock and Co continued churning out grey things and black doom bringers right under their very ski tips!
Sometimes I impress myself.

Last edited:

blinghfly

Midshipman
Why did America build their NORAD operations facility into a mountain, and still maintain it today?

Why do the Iranians build nuclear research facilities underground?

Why did the Taliban dig themselves into mountains?

Why has the Swiss government been burrowing into their mountains for so many years?

Mountains are a safe haven from nuclear attack, and I should imagine hypersonic attack. It’s quite simple, asking questions to get the ball rolling is known as research, and where a mountain meets water the vessels can come and go.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement following attack in Nice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK enforces new sanctions against Russia for cyber attack on German parliament MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sentence increased for Northampton man who killed another man in pub attack MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Media Advisory Notice - Suspected terrorist attack, Reading MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement following attack on Camp Taji in Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM statement on attack in Iraq: 11 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement: attack on Elena Milashina and Marina Dubrovina in the Chechen Republic, Russian Federation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Carlisle thief who stole £25,000 worth of jewellery in violent attack jailed for longer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement on attack on Iraqi military bases MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Iraq: UK condemns attack on US Embassy in Baghdad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Attack on Iraqi military base: Foreign Office Statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Terrorist attack in London MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK flags to be flown at half mast for London Bridge attack victims MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Parole Board statement on London Bridge attack on Friday 29 November 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS AAIB report: Rolladen-Schneider LS7, pilot suffered a heart attack in-flight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Public inquiry into Manchester Arena Attack to be established MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Syria: UK responds to chemical weapons attack in May 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Nottingham teen has sentence increased for knife attack MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Sentence increased for ammonia attack MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Joint P3 statement on the second anniversary of a Syria chemical attack MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £60 million search begins for the next Peppa Pig, Art Attack and Desert Island Discs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM statement on the New Zealand attack: 15 March 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Mother of Manchester terror attack victim calls for protective security improvements at 2019 Step Change Summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Minister for Middle East welcomes report by OPCW confirming reasonable grounds to conclude the use of chemical weapons in Douma attack MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: FCO statement on the attack on a police academy in Bogotá, Colombia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Chemical weapons attack in Syria: US, UK and France joint statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: G7 foreign ministers' statement on the Salisbury attack MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: British Ambassador to Russia briefing on the Salisbury attack following the OPCW report: 13 April 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Nerve agent attack in Salisbury, Wiltshire: UK statement to the OSCE, 12 April 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary responds to reports of chemical weapons attack in Douma, Syria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign & Commonwealth Office statement on reports of a chemical weapons attack in Syria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Statement from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons on the Salisbury attack: 4 April 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Joint statement on anniversary of Khan Sheikhoun attack MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Marking the anniversary of the Khan Sheikhoun attack: article by Alistair Burt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: British Ambassador to Russia briefing on the Salisbury attack: 22 March 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Statement from Sir Mark Sedwill on the Salisbury attack MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Foreign Secretary and NATO Secretary General joint press conference on the Salisbury attack MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Salisbury attack: Foreign Secretary's remarks to media at the March 2018 Foreign Affairs Council MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Salisbury attack: statement following British Ambassador’s meeting with Russian government MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Salisbury nerve agent attack: UK OSCE Permanent Council statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary statement on Kabul attack MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM statement following London terror attack: 15 September 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Barcelona attack: PM statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: PM statement following terror attack in Finsbury Park: 19 June 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: PM statement following London terror attack: 4 June 2017 MoD News 0
OsmiumOxide Another attack, another day. Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Speech: PM statement following second COBR meeting on Manchester attack: 23 May 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: £1.4 billion deal for Royal Navy’s new attack submarine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with Prime Minister of Sweden following Stockholm attack: 8 April 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prime Minister's statement following attack in Westminster MoD News 0