Huzzah! Royal gets a gong.

Awesome news about time someone got what they deserved. It's still a pity about the 2 bootnecks hanging off the Apache.
I think thats the highest award RM have recieved since Thomas Peck Hunter recieved the VC at lake Commacchio 1945.
Well doine Royal.

hammockhead

Lantern Swinger
It appears to be the only GC ever awarded to the Corps, if you ignore a single Albert Medal (predecessor to the GC) awarded to an RMLI officer in 1919.

Really don't understand how setting off a booby trap, laid by the enemy one assumes, can constitute not being in the face of the enemy. This should have been a VC, or maybe they've run out of bronze cannons?

The situation reminds me of the folk song by Harvey Andrews about the guy who smothered a bomb in a Northern Ireland railway station. I don't know what he was awarded, but it was heroism of the most profound kind.

Ueshiba

Lantern Swinger
asst_dep_to_dep_asst said:
Really don't understand how setting off a booby trap, laid by the enemy one assumes, can constitute not being in the face of the enemy. This should have been a VC, or maybe they've run out of bronze cannons?

The situation reminds me of the folk song by Harvey Andrews about the guy who smothered a bomb in a Northern Ireland railway station. I don't know what he was awarded, but it was heroism of the most profound kind.
I agree. Was there any news on the 2 Anglians nominated for VC?

Well done Royal. Like a lot of people on here i am puzzled, why not the VC? the George Medal i understood was a civilian award eqivalent to the VC. Can someone out there explain the rules.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tas-ape Blue Jokes 0
thereverend Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
F Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7