Hurricane Dean. HMS Portland & RFA Wave Ruler.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Seadog, Aug 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

This is to replace Brazen Hussey's previous post. The first two posts were fine but the thread went to rats after that. F106, I wouldn't bother posting again if I was you.

Sorry to those who had more sober posts binned.

From MoD

RN and RFA to The Rescue

2. My GF is on the Portland, we are meant to be meeting in Barbados in 3 days time! Cayman is fine its now Belize thats the focus! Curse that hurricane for ruining my Summer holiday!!!!!!

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yeah, **** the locals - so long as the holiday is okay... :lol: :wink:

4. What could oh two glorious ships really do to help when the US has been preparing to give hurricane relief for the last two weeks? We also have a British military detachment based down there. Grrrrr! I am very bitter and twisted!

5. Was you? Surely were you?

6. Grade A, Class 1 ******.

The ships are there for a purpose, fully trained and organised for this. If you're looking for a bite - you got one.

7. Concure, what a selfish ******, Thats why we have the ships there, Relief, and drugs runners. Drug runners will find it hard at sea in this type of weather so we have to help the locals. I wouldn't trust the septics, look how they manages the last hurricane. :rambo: :rambo: :pukel: :pukel:

8. Bite 4 - toycommandos, why be bitter and twisted, it is hurricane season! Anyone booking a holiday in the Caribbean at this time of year is asking for trouble, it shouldn’t of come as a surprise, it happens every year.

Your comments firstly the Yanks; well we have our own interests out there (to help where we can) and the Yanks have theirs, you only have to look at the state of New Orleans (even today) to see how prepared the Yanks are. Secondly the Military detachment, I take it you mean Belize. Belize isn’t geared up to provide help following the track of a Hurricane across the Caribbean. Our 'Glorious ships' as you put, have a time honoured tradition of providing some measure of help and support to those who have been hit, regardless of how small. This is why FOST dedicate a package of disaster relief during the ships Operational Sea Training.

toycommandos, don’t ridicule what our ships are doing, just because your not seeing your GF.

You should support your GF and the great job our men and women are doing on our ships.

Well done PORTLAND and Wave Ruler

9. Fully trained? You are having a laugh! Sending the Chippy and a couple of others on a two day chain-saw operaters course, and everybody spending a day at the DISTEX site does not make them all fully trained. Having been on the wrong end of hurricane Lenny (I think that was the one) in '99, it made us all realise that we could actually do very little in the great scheme of things. Yes we helped out and made a difference here and there, but "fully trained" is stretching it a bit. Mind you, that is not to say that what we lacked in training we didn't make up for in enthusiasm. I don't think there was anyone onboard who wasn't up for helping out and the sense of having done the best we could was wonderful, but we pulled out after 3 or 4 days, with much of the island still in ruins (Anguilla I think). Enthusiastic....yes, fully trained....no.

10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

deckhead wrote
    Indeed.

However any grammar fcuk ups I make are deliberate, with the express purpose of flushing out the latest creation of the poster known as bumblebee and other things. Bumblebee's account was suspended two days ago, about the time you joined.

On topic, let's keep this thread serious and civil.

11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Toycommandos/Dustyjack: Of course you cannot call the DISTEX intensive training for disaster relief, but it teaches Ship's Companies the basic rudimentary skills required to provide some kind of assistance, at least until dedicated disaster relief organisations arrive on scene.

WIGS TG is not deployed primarily to provide disaster relief, but I am sure the locals are very grateful for any assistance they receive; do the displaced people really care that
    are not professional aid relief workers? I doubt it somehow... :roll:

12. Did planned packed set HRS ever get the riot control gear issued to it?

13. Well you will all be pleased to know that Portland and Wave Ruler are now helping our Belize friends with the massive clean up operation.

14. Ive had leave cancelled in the last couple of months. Hope everyone gets seen of as well. now that bitter and twisted :)