Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunting Records - Far East WW2

daisy1942

Midshipman
Hi,
s
During my many years researching my father in law I have found numerous comments about lists of survivors/evacuees being taken at the port of Emmerhave Sumatran (Padang) If lists taken where would they be now? Were other lists have been taken on board or when these ships arrived at their destinations and where would they be?

Also, I have read hat passes and/or special orders were issued to those servicemen in Singapore who were deemed essential to the war effort because of particular skills. Were these lists kept and again where might I find such lists?

Finally, how easy would it have been to "acquire" a new identity during those manic weeks?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I would think that any records would be either at Kew or the Maritime Museum at Portsmouth. I wouldn't have thought that many would still be around bearing in mind the circumstances and the climate.
As for a new ID simple, if you weren't with your own unit take papers for any dead body that you find.

D

Deleted 59428

Hi,
s
During my many years researching my father in law I have found numerous comments about lists of survivors/evacuees being taken at the port of Emmerhave Sumatran (Padang) If lists taken where would they be now? Were other lists have been taken on board or when these ships arrived at their destinations and where would they be?

Also, I have read hat passes and/or special orders were issued to those servicemen in Singapore who were deemed essential to the war effort because of particular skills. Were these lists kept and again where might I find such lists?

Finally, how easy would it have been to "acquire" a new identity during those manic weeks?

The India Office records are held by The British Library. I would look there. http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelpre...indiaofficescope/indiaofficehistoryscope.html

daisy1942

Midshipman
As for a new ID simple, if you weren't with your own unit take papers for any dead body that you find.

Interesting Janner,
Dad escaped Singapore and we do not know what he was doing there. According to records there is no listing of him under the name by which we know him. He said he was torpedoed three times during the war. I was thinking that if he had lost everything during one of these sinkings would his word be taken about a change of name?

daisy1942

Midshipman
A further thought. If he had been torpedoed surely a list of names of survivors being picked up would be taken? I believe after one such sinking he was landed tat Port of Spain, Trinidad. Would records have remained there or would they have been transferred to UK when Trinidad gained independence?

D

Deleted 59428

A further thought. If he had been torpedoed surely a list of names of survivors being picked up would be taken? I believe after one such sinking he was landed tat Port of Spain, Trinidad. Would records have remained there or would they have been transferred to UK when Trinidad gained independence?

Try Trinidad and Tobago National Archives and their comprehensive Newspaper Archive.
email http://www.natt.gov.tt

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Consultation launched on the import and export of hunting trophies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK and Norway defence ministers plan sub-hunting co-operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary launches £132m Scots sub-hunting aircraft home MoD News 0
soleil Mirror: "Sub Hunting With First Female Commander Of Major Royal Navy Warship" The Fleet 20
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy helicopters in NATO submarine-hunting exercise MoD News 0
trelawney126 Culdrose busy Lunatic Hunting The Fleet Air Arm 13
soleil Mail: Chopper Blasts Hunting Boat Out Of The Water Off Somalia The Fleet 11
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey Paddy goes moose hunting Miscellaneous 0
soleil Navy News: "Triumph Of The Will-Power As Pingers Go Hunting" Submariners 2
bigbaddog Bog-Hunting(On-line) The Gash Barge 2
Obelix Hunting Diamond Lil's 47
I Previous mental health records. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
K Looking for my deceased fathers naval records Submariners 8
MoD_RSS Government plan new changes to criminal records disclosure regime MoD News 0
I Medical records? Joining the Royal Navy 29
MoD_RSS Registrations and records submitted though the MMO’s electronic catch recording app continue to increase MoD News 0
C Medical records Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
E Service Records History 2
MoD_RSS Committee Members reappointed to the Advisory Committee on National Records and Archives MoD News 0
M Triage / Records Health & Fitness 8
MoD_RSS Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Rootstech London 2019 MoD News 0
C Navy, Criminal Records and US Visa Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
E GP Medical records Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Family History Shows MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Our 18 employment records this year show why we need the Prime Minister’s Brexit deal MoD News 0
sweetpea FREE ACCESS TO MILITARY RECORDS. History 5
MoD_RSS Press release: Car hire company director picks up seven-year ban for failing to keep records MoD News 0
Z False suicidal thoughts on GP records? Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS News story: The Veterans’ Gateway records over 10,000 enquiries as it celebrates its first year in service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Family History Shows MoD News 0
S Ships movement records History 5
O Royal Marine Police records and other historical info History 3
Deadeyethejedi Guidance on Criminal Records Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
C SOS - Help needed to figure out how to find my Nans records? History 7
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Business Services to display Battle of Passchendaele records at this... MoD News 0
Jockyfisher Medical Records are Missing Joining the Royal Navy 4
D Requesting records of summary hearing The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 3
sweetpea FREE Access to Military Records History 0
M Medical records Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
sweetpea FREE ACCESS to military records. History 32
T5igger Checking GP records Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
sweetpea FREE access to Military Records on Ancestry 6-11th Nov. History 0
B Fathers Service Records The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS News story: Minister for the Reserves gifts WW2 records to Polish Government MoD News 0
sweetpea FREE Access to Ancestry Records 26th - 29th December. History 1
sweetpea WWI MILITARY RECORDS. FREE ACCESS. History 0
G medical records RFA 6
T RM medical records The Corps 4
sweetpea UK, Naval Officer and Rating Service Records, 1802-1919. History 6
L Can't find Royal Navy wireless operator Douglas Owens records 22.4.1923 - 15.9.2004 Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4