Hunter Killers by Iain Ballantyne

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Bandy_E, Oct 2, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm about two thirds of the way through this book, has anyone read it? I'd be interested in the thoughts of those who have.

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I've read it, but I've heard it said by people well qualified to know that its not necessarily the full story.

Wait for the Silent Deep by Lord hennessy for an accurate story, and thats due soon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. A little more than the full story here and there. Though, I am gratified to know that I was a handpicked and highly skilled professional.
    :rolleyes:

4. I met Iain at the last SM2 re-union, nice bloke who seemed to be collecting dits (that got more outrageous as the afternoon went on, directly proportional to the amount of alcohol consumed :)).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Filled in a few gaps in my knowledge and the office was only next door. Still many more to fill but don't want know anymore.

6. There are a few disconnects between my memories and his account of certain events. I'm worried that the problem may be with my ability to recall them with any accuracy. Early stage dementia?
    I did find the narrative to be at times a bit cheesy and at others to be a touch hagiographic. I have sometimes felt a tiny bit embarrassed.
    My youngest has picked the book up a few times and read certain passages and he now seems to think I'm some sort of hero. It won't last, thank goodness.
    While I am here, I have to say that it was never drummed into me to isolate the fore ends and rig for escape without a nod from authority. I must have reported sick on the day in training when that was covered.

• Like Like x 1