Hull....advice needed

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by wet_blobby, May 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I have the undiluted pleasure of working in Hull this weekend, I have only been there once before and formed the opinion that it's a shitehole, there was even a security gaurd on poundstrechers door for fcuksake.

My question is where do I go for a bevvy? is there anywhere half decent to get shedded in Hull?
  2. im sure there is a B and Q up there somewhere - although homebase have got an 8x6 shiplap with 20% off.
  3. If it's reputation is so bad, why not send you're stunt double?
  4. Basically....No. And all the birds are boilers :!:
  5. Haven't been for a real run in Hull for an awful long time but the old seamans mission was a good place, if it is still there, got involved in a lock in there and ended up chatting to the police chief who was also there. Hull may be not the greatest of places but you could try Scunthorpe over the brdge, that mkes Hull look pretty good. For upmarket accomodation and old world pubs try Beverly just north of Hull. If you cant be bothered 'commuting' and some one else is paying suggest the big hotel in the old docks and drinking in the pubs aroud there, if you are paying then there is one of those modern cheapo hotels not far away and still drink in the pubs around the docks.
  6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Cheers maxi, sorry slim I'm not in costume this weekend but am taking some there so cant use a double.
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There's a great Meatloaf tribute band playing there... "Bat Out of Hull" (really!) :lol:
  8. Prince of Wales. Owned by an ex sat-rat. Best place in a piss-poor place as it were :roll:
  9. Ask a taxi driver to take you to the old town, not too many kids there and the ladies will be more mature ie over 21.
    Hull is a fantastic night out, just don't give it the big one gobbing off or flashing cash around, there will always be someone who takes things the wrong way.
    As for Hull being a dump, well let's talk about Pompey, Guzz, Liverpool etc all cities have their bad areas.
  10. A lot of towns have that 'arse kicked out of it' feel.
    Hull can't be worse than Guzz on a wet and windy winter night; honestly I was shocked by the state of the place.
    Just nip into QS get yourself an outfit for 9.99 and you'll be well away.
    Oh and up north, even if it is minus 5c, never wear a jacket and always wear a short sleeved shirt.
    You should have a great time!
  11. Nothing wrong with Hull now - been modernised/knocked down/one-way-streeted etc......Yorkshire (i.e. North Humberside) is quite nice actually....
    Used to live on the coast as a kid.....

12. Hull = Avoid at all costs.

As I recall it was voted Britains worst place in Craptowns… passed through it once… yep, it's crap.
  13. From Hull and Halifax and Hell,
    Good Lord deliver us!
  14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Rather Hull than Grimsby... but not as good as Newcastle! Top runs...
  15. We went to Newcastle once, and yes it is a good place, small enough to stagger about.
    A mate on looking at the skyline said 'I didn't realise there was a castle here'....and the first round was down to whom?
  16. Try the Old Town then into King Billys at the end of the night for the pissed up 'mature' slappers or V Bar for the pissed up young slappers.
    Princess Avenue (off Spring Bank) is quite good...loads of pubs and places to eat (Italian / Thai). Don't go down Beverley Road too many ragheads/koso's plus any other asylum seeker you care to mention.
    Likewise keep out of the New Town lots of pissed up chavs and chavetts.
    Beverley (approx 8 miles out of Hull..Taxi or train)is very good. Its a small market town with stacks of pubs not sure it there are any clubs. You get a few pissed-up pongos on a weekend but nothing to worry about.
    As for Hull being a shithole well maybe. There are better places but there's
    also a hell of a lot worse.
    Wherever you end up I hope you have a great time.
  17. It all boils down to you and your mates really Blobby. As an ex marine you know that the mates you're with and your attitude is what determines whether a run is great or crap and not the location. Stand fast those Muslim enclaves that insist on being alcohol free.
  18. Right, I have to admit I spent 3 very good years in Hull, and it's traditionally been a good run ashore for Jack.

For traditional pubs I'd recommend:

Ye Olde White Harte on Silver Street - down a very narrow alley - very old and used to be one of my favourites.

The Minerva on Nelson Street - right on the waterfron, lots of gear used to be in there from various incarnations of HMS MINERVA (one of my old ships as it subsequently transpired).

Ye Olde Corn Exchange in the Market Place used to be a regular haunt to.

A map of all the pubs is here -

The Tourist Board do hand out an "Ale Trail" leaflet as well.
  19. Still very popular pubs today mate. As are Manchester Arms ( just up from white harte) Black Boy and Dirty Nellies (all around the same area)