Huge ransom paid for two tankers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by flymo, Nov 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So the ship owners and insurance companies have paid £7.6 million pounds to Somalian "pirates". Nice work if you can get it.

Will the money be spent on trying to dig Somalia out of the cesspool that it has got itself into or will the monies be spent on lavish lifestyles in London or be sent to help their brothers in Afghanistan against Western troops.

2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Perhaps some will go to replace the boat we just sank. I don't think losing kit is much of a worry for these people and they must know that our RoE mean they will never be put personally knowingly at risk.
  3. Another win for the Somalis. Its just going to make them more determinded now.

It would be nice to see that money go to the right places, but the amount of corruption that is in that country theres sod all chance.
  4. If they capture a few more and ransom them for millions maybe the 100,000 Somalians living in London will be tempted to return home!
    Met police say 70% of all London Crime is committed by them with 85% on benefits.
    They won't be missed.
  5. I always try and steer clear of conversations about race, but a friend in work, whos family come from Pakistan hate Somalis with a passion! I think I mentioned something to him once about that couple getting napped in Somalia, he then went off on one cursing them like efff****.
  6. Source, or are you just a rabid racist? I'm presuming the latter, probably think the EDL are "saying what the man on the street can't" as well.

£7.6 Million is small change compared to the amount of trade going through that area. If Shipping Agents really cared that much, all the traffic would be going down south around the Cape.....

More headlines in today's Sunday Express:-

I don't think this will happen overnight but BZ to Vice Admiral John McAnally:-

Companies like BP are loosing millions of pounds a day whilst ships are laid up at gunpoint. Paying the pirates is seen as a cheaper option. Not only does this fuel (no pun intended) criminality but no doubt terrorism too.

Whilst we in the UK don't have any facility to stock-pile gas then the we have to rely on merchant tankers to import gas to us. These pirates think nothing of opening fire on unprotected merchantmen. How long will it be before a UK national is killed or seriously injured?

The Chandlers, kidnapped last October are still in captivity and being threatened with starvation unless their ransom is paid are no doubt feeling totally abandoned and let down pondering their own mortality whilst little is being done by the Government.
  8. Nevermind the crime figures/unfigures, they definitely seem to have a handle on this benefit malarkey. There was news a little while ago about an Amsterdam based Somalian gang being busted for flying over here to sign on for benefits every week.
  9. Operation Ocean Shield

In respect of the Chandlers It does beg the question how meaningful is the declaration contained on the first page of the British Passport ?

These words obviously mean nothing to the Somalian criminal gangs who are a danger and menace to all who venture into the Somali Basin and the wider Indian Ocean. I don't know why we can't disable their GPS and ships go back to using a sextant ?

At least international efforts are being made to disrupt pirates through Ocean Shield and the efforts of the RN / RFA have been well documented:-
  10. HedgeP. Can you please quote your source or Alfred will get upset with you.

I have no evidence but fear that monies obtained by piracy ends up buying bullets for the Taliban et al.
    Isn't this joined up world great ...
  11. Did we not have a method of dealing with pirates in days of yore?

What contribution do the shipping companies/insurers make to pay for the efforts that are in place at the moment?

I have always thought that the only way to deal with terrorists, is to terrorise them.....let it begin, make them feel the fear

The Somalians are into job creation.....something that keeps capitalism stumbling along
  12. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Toughers on the Chandlers but it is totally out of order for the British Govt with its bottomless purse to pay ransoms - there would be no end to it. Remember the money would come ultimately mostly from those who have not got the dosh to swan around the Indian Ocean on a yacht. Personally I still think it would be sensible to make it a criminal offence for any British organisation to pay a ransom to any terrorist or pirate anywhere. Let them pick on the Italians.
  13. I ain't no racist Alfred,suspect all you like,My band had two white and three coloured musicians.I once lived in Handsworth and Brixton with a lot of friends there.
    Somalians are a blight on London,read the Met Reports and the reports from the London authorities.
    Also the prisons have a very large Somalian inmate population.
    It's not racist to highlight facts,look at them before you class some one as racist.You are way off the mark.
  14. :thumbright:
  15. On the basis the only story I can find using "Somali, London, Crime, Met Police" is on the BNP's website, I'm calling you a liar, and a racist.

And damn right I'm asking for sources; racism is abhorrent, and doesn't fit in with the RN's values. I'd no more allow it go un-checked on here then I would on 2 Deck.

14% of the UK Prison population is Black, or Black British; the 3 largest non-UK populations within our Prison system are Jamaica, Nigeria and Ireland*. There is no mention of Somalia, which is strange, considering you claim a "a very large Somalian inmate population" and "Met police say 70% of all London Crime is committed by them with 85% on benefits".

You'd think even the mainstream Tory party in London would be all over this if it was true. Instead, official statistics (which I count as "facts") don't support your assertions.

*]UK Parliament Stats[/url]
  16. Programme on now on BBC 4, re...Somalis

Al th Grate....stop bullying peeps with the 'Racist' move. It's dishonest. My experience in the RN demonstrated how a 'Team' could be made from guys (no females on my ships then) who came from different backgrounds, countries and were different colours. Yes, there was banter....all the way round, but it worked, and we laughed...together. I feel sure it still does today without much effort.

PC and racist remarks stifle society
  17. I do not condone in any way the actions of these pirates but it worth a look at the reason why many fishermen have been driven to taking this lawless course of action:

European ships have been looting Somalia's seas of their greatest resource: seafood. We have destroyed our own fish-stocks by over-exploitation - and now we have moved on to theirs. More than $300m worth of tuna, shrimp, lobster and other sea-life is being stolen every year by vast trawlers illegally sailing into Somalia's unprotected seas. The local fishermen have suddenly lost their livelihoods, and they are starving. Mohammed Hussein, a fisherman in the town of Marka 100km south of Mogadishu, told Reuters: "If nothing is done, there soon won't be much fish left in our coastal waters."

The full story here.
  18. It's not banter. He's selected a single group, based solely on their ethnicity (Somali) and incorrectly stated that they are responsible for the majority of crime in London, and make up a large proportion of the current prison population.

I would have absolutely no problem if he said that Somali's make up the vast majority of piracy in the Somali Basin, because it's demonstrably true. But I would also add that illegal fishing by fleets based out of Spain and France have also destroyed the fish stocks that a lot of the pirates previously used to sustain themselves and their families.

Banter (like calling people "Taff", "Jock" or "No 1") isn't racism (as long as they don't mind being called that), and I'm all for it as it promotes inclusiveness and a strong team ethic. It's when we single one person (or dis-advantaged group) out then it steps across the line. When anyone steps across the line, everyone, from AB1 to Admiral has a duty to speak out and stop it from happening.
  19. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

[quote="alfred_the_greatBanter (like calling people "Taff", "Jock" or "No 1") isn't racism (as long as they don't mind being called that), and I'm all for it as it promotes inclusiveness and a strong team ethic. .[/quote]

It is racist, the person called Taff excetra doesn't have to be offended, it can be anyone who is within hearing of the remark who takes offence. Its the law.
  20. Well, that's where the law and I depart....