Huge Anglo-Saxon gold hoard found

#4
While restoring a old canal footpath a few years back I found a threepenny piece. I often thing what we could buy a few/many years ago with threepence pronounced Frippence. For the juveniles this was pre1971 decimilisation days.

The top find had to be a ten bob note. It was straight in the shop for pop and nutty. Then a good thrashing of the old fella for wasting money who at the time was on eight pounds a week. And a good talk from ma about it should have been handed in to the police station. OMG does anybody remember those days?
 
#6
Backpacker1uk said:
While restoring a old canal footpath a few years back I found a threepenny piece. I often thing what we could buy a few/many years ago with threepence pronounced Frippence. For the juveniles this was pre1971 decimilisation days.
Thruppence?
used to get one of these for allowance.. :lol:
 

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
#8
AfterSSE said:
Backpacker1uk said:
While restoring a old canal footpath a few years back I found a threepenny piece. I often thing what we could buy a few/many years ago with threepence pronounced Frippence. For the juveniles this was pre1971 decimilisation days.
Thruppence?
used to get one of these for allowance.. :lol:
That'll get Jesse and Granny started on the groat!
 
#14
rod-gearing said:
And I thought Thruppence was what little girls called their down below bits.

You learn something everyday :lol:
Cockney rhyming slang.......Thrupennies..i.e. Thrupenny bits...female breast department. :lol:
 
#15
I expect he detected it with the same WW11 kit our lads use in Afghanistan, having said that it’s a nice little find and I hope he does financially well out of it.
 
#16
For a £25 investment from a car boot sale, he's done well.
Do you think he should tip Gorgon the wink, so he can buy some for "The Lads" in Afghanistan?
Surely even he can't quibble about the cost!
 
#17
Streaky said:
For a £25 investment from a car boot sale, he's done well.
Do you think he should tip Gorgon the wink, so he can buy some for "The Lads" in Afghanistan?
Surely even he can't quibble about the cost!
I would not bet on it.
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
#18
thingy said:
I can still remember buying things with the pre-decimal currency! :oops:
I too can vaguely remember the old pre-decimalisation currency, and the excitement of going to the NAAFI in Churchill Square on D-Day in 1971 to buy something in "new" pence rather than the old "pennies". As a memory jogger, I've just been given a birthday present from my folks back in the UK - a complete set of UK coinage from the year of my birth (1962) including example of both English and Scottish coins where differnces existed.
 
#19
FlagWagger said:
thingy said:
I can still remember buying things with the pre-decimal currency! :oops:
I too can vaguely remember the old pre-decimalisation currency, and the excitement of going to the NAAFI in Churchill Square on D-Day in 1971 to buy something in "new" pence rather than the old "pennies". As a memory jogger, I've just been given a birthday present from my folks back in the UK - a complete set of UK coinage from the year of my birth (1962) including example of both English and Scottish coins where differnces existed.
Are you mad?

I can't believe the NAAFI didn't round up the prices like the rest of the UK did!

I found my Saturday pocket money bought a lot less on "D Day" than the previous week!
 
#20
Streaky said:
FlagWagger said:
thingy said:
I can still remember buying things with the pre-decimal currency! :oops:
I too can vaguely remember the old pre-decimalisation currency, and the excitement of going to the NAAFI in Churchill Square on D-Day in 1971 to buy something in "new" pence rather than the old "pennies". As a memory jogger, I've just been given a birthday present from my folks back in the UK - a complete set of UK coinage from the year of my birth (1962) including example of both English and Scottish coins where differnces existed.
Are you mad?

I can't believe the NAAFI didn't round up the prices like the rest of the UK did!

I found my Saturday pocket money bought a lot less on "D Day" than the previous week!
My paper round money went from £1 2s 6d to £1 12.5p 8O
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top