Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge Anglo-Saxon gold hoard found

Oi, I buried those to provide for a pension when HMG abolishes pensions for public sector toilers! Waaaaaaaaa!

While restoring a old canal footpath a few years back I found a threepenny piece. I often thing what we could buy a few/many years ago with threepence pronounced Frippence. For the juveniles this was pre1971 decimilisation days.

The top find had to be a ten bob note. It was straight in the shop for pop and nutty. Then a good thrashing of the old fella for wasting money who at the time was on eight pounds a week. And a good talk from ma about it should have been handed in to the police station. OMG does anybody remember those days?

AfterSSE

War Hero
Backpacker1uk said:
While restoring a old canal footpath a few years back I found a threepenny piece. I often thing what we could buy a few/many years ago with threepence pronounced Frippence. For the juveniles this was pre1971 decimilisation days.

Thruppence?
used to get one of these for allowance.. :lol:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
AfterSSE said:
Backpacker1uk said:

Thruppence?
used to get one of these for allowance.. :lol:

That'll get Jesse and Granny started on the groat!

fishhead

War Hero
rod-gearing said:
And I thought Thruppence was what little girls called their down below bits.

You learn something everyday :lol:
Cockney rhyming slang.......Thrupennies..i.e. Thrupenny bits...female breast department. :lol:

finknottle

Banned
I expect he detected it with the same WW11 kit our lads use in Afghanistan, having said that it’s a nice little find and I hope he does financially well out of it.

For a £25 investment from a car boot sale, he's done well.
Do you think he should tip Gorgon the wink, so he can buy some for "The Lads" in Afghanistan?
Surely even he can't quibble about the cost!

finknottle

Banned
Streaky said:
For a £25 investment from a car boot sale, he's done well.
Do you think he should tip Gorgon the wink, so he can buy some for "The Lads" in Afghanistan?
Surely even he can't quibble about the cost!

I would not bet on it.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
thingy said:
I can still remember buying things with the pre-decimal currency! :oops:

I too can vaguely remember the old pre-decimalisation currency, and the excitement of going to the NAAFI in Churchill Square on D-Day in 1971 to buy something in "new" pence rather than the old "pennies". As a memory jogger, I've just been given a birthday present from my folks back in the UK - a complete set of UK coinage from the year of my birth (1962) including example of both English and Scottish coins where differnces existed.

FlagWagger said:
thingy said:

I too can vaguely remember the old pre-decimalisation currency, and the excitement of going to the NAAFI in Churchill Square on D-Day in 1971 to buy something in "new" pence rather than the old "pennies". As a memory jogger, I've just been given a birthday present from my folks back in the UK - a complete set of UK coinage from the year of my birth (1962) including example of both English and Scottish coins where differnces existed.

Are you mad?

I can't believe the NAAFI didn't round up the prices like the rest of the UK did!

I found my Saturday pocket money bought a lot less on "D Day" than the previous week!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Streaky said:
FlagWagger said:
thingy said:

Are you mad?

I can't believe the NAAFI didn't round up the prices like the rest of the UK did!

I found my Saturday pocket money bought a lot less on "D Day" than the previous week!

My paper round money went from £1 2s 6d to £1 12.5p 8O

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Huge increase in UK Personal Protective Equipment production MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Jenrick unveils huge £12 billion boost for affordable homes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Huge boost to national testing study will offer new COVID-19 insights MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Supporting huge development plans for Whitehaven MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government matches another £5 million of donations for coronavirus appeal after huge public response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Contraflow keeps motorway open as huge gantries installed for M6 upgrade MoD News 0
soleil Guardian: "Huge UK Naval Figureheads Rescued From Obscurity To Go On Display" History 14
MoD_RSS Nearly 30 million walks demonstrates huge popularity of England's coastal paths. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Huge stride forward in upgrade of M6 junction MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Huge opportunities for new firms to join the digital revolution MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New data shows illegal schools are a huge nationwide problem MoD News 0
soleil Forces Network: "Navy On Hunt For Huge #InterServices Boxing Upset" Sports and Adventure Training 10
MoD_RSS News story: Huge new Atlas aircraft hangar opened by Defence Minister MoD News 0
M Help Required (A huge History lesson) History 2
soleil NW Evening Mail: "Huge Piece Of Submarine Dwarfs Barrow Road" Submariners 0
soleil Mail: "Bill For Sacking Troops To Hit £500m: MoD Discloses Huge Cost Of The Cuts" Current Affairs 0
soleil BBC: "Defence Chief: 'Huge Challenges' For UK Armed Forces" Current Affairs 6
Naval_Gazer Supreme court MoD ruling 'will have huge impact on military operations' Current Affairs 22
soleil Western Morning News: "Defence Review Will Give Huge Boost To Numbers Of Reservists" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
MoD_RSS HMS Westminster makes huge drugs haul Current Affairs 0
soleil Western Morning News: "Navy Shows Huge Resilience, Despite Savage Cutbacks" The Fleet 1
soleil Telegraph: "Army Facing Huge Cuts After Withdrawal From Afghanistan" Current Affairs 14
F Huge ransom paid for two tankers Current Affairs 35
soleil P. News: "Huge Crowds For HMS Sultan's Firework Spectacular" Bases / Shore Est 2
soleil Scotsman: Huge Navy Vessel Docks In Capital After £37m Refit RFA 5
soleil Herald (Scot): "Whale watchers shadow huge war games" Bases / Shore Est 0
sgtpepperband Admiral: 'Front line women are huge success' Current Affairs 122
clanky OOW Training Simulator. Huge savings ahoy!! Diamond Lil's 5
PartTimePongo Royal Navy makes huge cocaine bust Current Affairs 16
MoD_RSS Joint Statement on the Anglo-Chilean Trade Dialogue MoD News 0
L Anglo-info deletions of anything to with UK forces / ex forces The Quarterdeck 1
Grim_Squeaker85 Anglo-Greek Naval Co-Operation on Exercise The Fleet 8
soleil Financial Times: "An Anglo-French Summit Aboard Ark Royal?" Current Affairs 2
soleil Grdn: "Anglo-French Armed Forces Plan Greater Co-operation" Current Affairs 1
N Justice in Anglo Saxon Courts Current Affairs 5
scouse Exercise Saxon Warrior The Fleet Air Arm 0