Huge Anglo-Saxon gold hoard found

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Ja5on, Sep 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It’s the Staffordshire Regiment’s Mess Trophies, put away for safe keeping before their last amalgamation.
  2. Oi, I buried those to provide for a pension when HMG abolishes pensions for public sector toilers! Waaaaaaaaa!
  3. While restoring a old canal footpath a few years back I found a threepenny piece. I often thing what we could buy a few/many years ago with threepence pronounced Frippence. For the juveniles this was pre1971 decimilisation days.

The top find had to be a ten bob note. It was straight in the shop for pop and nutty. Then a good thrashing of the old fella for wasting money who at the time was on eight pounds a week. And a good talk from ma about it should have been handed in to the police station. OMG does anybody remember those days?
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Ouch...... :p
  5. Thruppence? [​IMG] used to get one of these for allowance.. :lol:
  6. And I thought Thruppence was what little girls called their down below bits.

You learn something everyday :lol:
  7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

That'll get Jesse and Granny started on the groat!
  8. I can still remember buying things with the pre-decimal currency! :oops:
  9. Wasnt a fishermans friend was it? :lol:
  10. No that would be one's looloo or front bottom!
  11. or tuppence IIRC. 8)
  12. Threepence was for the posh tarts. Janner slappers, or Pompey slags were tuppence!
  13. Cockney rhyming slang.......Thrupennies..i.e. Thrupenny bits...female breast department. :lol:
  14. I expect he detected it with the same WW11 kit our lads use in Afghanistan, having said that it’s a nice little find and I hope he does financially well out of it.
  15. For a £25 investment from a car boot sale, he's done well.
    Do you think he should tip Gorgon the wink, so he can buy some for "The Lads" in Afghanistan?
    Surely even he can't quibble about the cost!
  16. I would not bet on it.
  17. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I too can vaguely remember the old pre-decimalisation currency, and the excitement of going to the NAAFI in Churchill Square on D-Day in 1971 to buy something in "new" pence rather than the old "pennies". As a memory jogger, I've just been given a birthday present from my folks back in the UK - a complete set of UK coinage from the year of my birth (1962) including example of both English and Scottish coins where differnces existed.
  18. Are you mad?

I can't believe the NAAFI didn't round up the prices like the rest of the UK did!

I found my Saturday pocket money bought a lot less on "D Day" than the previous week!
  19. My paper round money went from £1 2s 6d to £1 12.5p 8O