HTC Desire or Galaxy S - which to get?

Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by SONAR-BENDER, May 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, so Voodoo phone have given me enough points for a new phone - currently on Blackberry Curve, but fancy one of the above (hate Apple, so no overpriced iPhone for me thanks), so having looked at reviews etc it comes down to HTC Desire or Galaxy S.

So, which one have you got and what (truly) do you think of it?

2. I'm sure someone will reply sensibly, but for old time's sake try this for now[​IMG]

3. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I have the HTC DESIRE HD, absolutely love it. Fast, Sense UI is great, superb build quality. I wouldn't change it and its about to get Android 2.3 which has improved power management.

If you Google the two, as I am sure you have, you'll see they are pretty evenly matched. Both have good and bad points, but both, in common with most smartphones have appalling battery life. Get used to keeping them plugged in whenever you can.

Have you thought about some of the newer HTC phones? Its my first HTC phone and having played with some of its stable mates I really like the build quality, solid aluminium blocks, decent glass. They feel considerably more solid/robust than their competitors.

At the end of the day it is a personal choice thing.

4. I have the Desire HD as well, amazing phone. My girl friend had the Galaxy 2 and that is also a very good phone.

5. I have a Tescos pay-as-you-go mobile which I got in 2007 with £5 of free credit on it.
    I've still got £4.50 left.

Billy.

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

BNM, I've just bought, on ebay, a brand new Vodafone, £10 including £1 credit, its got a QWERTY keyboard and all it does is phone and text, no camera etc. I should be able to get the hang of using it soon.

I just had to put another £10 of credit on my other phone, last tenner has only lasted since Xmas 2010.

7. Funnily enough, I have a very similar option for myself and Mrs S-B when we come over to the UK! However out here (Spain) I need my mobile and it is handy to be able to check the e-mail (and read RR!!) when waiting for SWMBO to finish looking at all the shoes and handbags.......

I'm aware of the scarily short battery life - the Curve can be pretty short too, especially if showing off or taking photos!

Thanks for your (mainly!) sensible comments so far!

BOOTWU - I would have thought you'd at least have been able to find a picture of the Panel to Man Rm 'Bat Phone'!! Still, sound powered will do for now - made I larf!

8. 3686009009_26de0b6ef9.jpg

More Apps available

9. Looks sceptic to me; "center" is spelt wrong.

10. I suppose thousands have a pic of a SPT to hand just in case. Me, ...I'm fuckin luckless, never have anything good to hand.:evil4:

11. I just got an iPhone 4 and am in love with it.

12. Why don't you go to Cnet or Amazon and read the reviews? That's what I would do or just bide your time there might be a more advanced phone out soon as the specifications are changing all the time.

13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Does it come with a 'hands-free' kit..? :?

[​IMG]

14. wave_dodger

They are nice enough BUT

You're paying considerably more than you would for an Android phone will identical capability

You pay for all your apps (generally), whilst Android apps are still generally free, Angry birds anyone?

Want to drop some movies onto your phone for that commute...ah, need iTunes, can't just drop to an Sd Card

Want to expand your memory for more music, photos, videos...you can't use external MSD Cards

Like browsing the web? Can't see flash hence can't get the best out of the web

Still, it is a slick phone, just restricted.

15. I'm going to say Desire HD as well! I've had it for 4 months now and it still amazes me! I find new features of the phone each week! And the support HTC gives is fantastic! (Nothing wrong with phone apart from having a clumsy owner)

16. wave_dodger

Just had the latest update on the DHD which gives it Android v2.3 and I have to say has made a really good phone, absolutely excellent. Much faster at pretty much everything, better memory management, better power management and significantly better media support (which was already class leading) and I'm sure I'm only scratching the surface.

In whatever guise I'd heartily recommend an Android phone and the HTC brand.

17. Just got the update for my DHD as well, its a vast improvement. I would either go with the new brands of HTC phones or the Samsung Galaxy 2. I know with the Galaxy 2 they have completely unlocked it which means plenty of customization and over clocking if you want to get geeky.

18. I'm a total phone retard myself but found the blackberry the easiest phone I've ever used.... doesn't answer your initial question and is therefore a totally useless comment but there it is............