Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

How you train?

Weight train three times a week, run twice a week- approx between 2- 5 miles, play rugby once a week, then loads of beer, then rest on a sunday with a hang over plus some kind of injury ! ouch !!

Weight training about 3-4 times a week and swimming 1 time a week.

I also try and get some fitness at the football club here (Scotland Team).

fishmiester said:
it’s like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.
That’s why you always feel smarter after a few beers.â€

Simply put - BEST POST EVER :lol: :p :D :lol: :p :D :lol: :p :D

Brilliant post by Fishmeister about "natural selection" :twisted:
Oh, first post on here by the way, I was thinking along the same sort of lines of what other people do for their training.
I am hopefully joining the Royal Marines, but before I start the ball rolling I'm trying to make sure that my phsyical fitness is as good as I need.
At the moment I'm running about 3 miles every other day, press ups and sit ups every day, I'm averaging about 300 of each per day. Is there more I should be doing? Or is there things I shouldn't be doing? I'm not running with weights, but I'm thinking about doing some long hill walks with low weights and build up, I live in the Lake District so there are hills all over here. :mrgreen:
sorry for this being long winded (and also the thread jacking)
Cheers :cool:

I run between 45 mins and an hour, three or four times a week, swim a couple of miles three or four times a week, and play a bit of golf. I do some mountain biking now and again and quite enjoy hillwalking.

My diet is pretty healthy, meat only once or twice a week, the big thing lacking is fish as I don't like it. I don't drink a great deal, mainly because I'm usually driving if I'm on a run ashore, otherwise I'm not averse to the odd glass of wine with dinner. I probably drink too much coffee, but that's pretty much endemic in the mob.

I take a multi-vit and mineral supplement when I can remember.

Mainly I enjoy the running and swimming because it gives me time to relax rather than anything else.

SaturN said:
I'm running about 3 miles every other day

How long does that take you, it seems low to me but appreciate that in the Lakes the hill effect makes some difference. Take advice from the recruiters about running with weight, but you're right about using hillwalking to build up.

Assuming you're still a teenager you don't want to overdo it, your body is still growing, so try to get some proper advice.

Add some dips, step ups and calf raises to your daily bodyweight work and mix up the style of sit-up so that you're working all your abs. If you've got access to weight disks then you can start to add them to bodyweight over time.

3 miles takes about 20 mins, maybe a little less. There are hills all over I aim to go a route that has more up hill than down hills though. I do fit in a run consisting of 50-60 mins at least twice a week, but usually end it slightly shorter than that, (not due to lack of energy but I seem to always run in a big circle :oops: )
Thanks for the advice there aswell.

Everyone has their own phys routine and whats good for the goose isn't always good for the gander. Pushing out 300 reps of anything is wasted effort however, a circuit routine doing pushups for one minute-sits ups 2 minutes and burpess 1 minute - pullups to max effort, then sprint 200 metres is a good all round strength builder [and used by PRMC]. The trick is not to rest between exercises, overarm grip on pullups [full extension].
When out running 4-6 miles is ideal and break run into 1/3 up hill, 1/3 downhill and a third on the flat aim for around 7-8 minute miles.
This will set you up well for PRMC, in training they will build all the strength progressively to enable the booted weight carrying yomps and runs.
The biggest problem is not the phys its the mind, get your head sorted and its a breaze, hard work but easily accomplished.

Training gives me a hard on.
Train most days in something.
Gym work about 4 days a week, sometimes heavy, sometimes circuits.
Some Kung Fu, some yoga.
But every now and then it's nice just to get pissed and eat fried chicken
Ooooh Yeeaahhhh.
No pain no gain, as Arnie once said, when you feel pumped (not humped) in the gym it's like cumming, well, almost.

Latest Threads