How you train?

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by bitty, Apr 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whey! first post!

What do you do to keep fit? also do you take any supplements to get the edge?

2. eat full english drink lots of beer fit as f%^k survived 46 yrs on it try for another 46 :D

3. I agree with your fitness programme spike, at 59 mine is exactly the same,except I do take supplements,bells ,teachers. :D

4. nice one aitch u weren't a handler by any chance ? suppliments make me stroppy so stay on low fat version :p :mrgreen:

5. I see your a fan of DJ Format

6. In deed I was a member of one of the finest branches of the Fleet Air Arm 8). I wont say navy 'cuase it upsets the sailors to much. :( Back to the thread. Flight decks were great metal sports fields and I have great memories of playing deck hockey with no rules. :DF**k the puck go for the man. :evil: Modern footballers seem to have picked up a few tips from us. 8) .Often enough the puck ended up over the side,but a new one made from a bit of the fishheads rope and the stokers masking tape was produced very quickly.On occasions we allowed those that lived under the roof to come out and play :roll: .Trouble was the club swingers wanted to organise everybody,and that was'nt fun. 8O

7. A fat boys breakfast and a Guiness a day keep the doctor away.

8. Still play football, although it is more of a kick-about to be honest. Circuit training when I can fit it in and also still pump the odd bit of iron now and again. Must all be working, because at the tender age of 46 I can still get 9.3 on a bleep test for my RNFT.

Might I also add that I thoroughly enjoy drinking, eating and late nights ;-)

9. All about moderation ain't it? 8O
    I run marathons and enter the odd triathlon, but I am neither obsessed or boring in my quest to achieve such goals... I love food, I love red wine, I love to go out, the only time I am conscious of all three is when I start my training programme for each event, then I am just too bloody exhausted to indulge in the last two... :(

10. Eat drink to excese cycle 100 miles a week, weight train every other day fit as can be at 52

11. Pastry products and anything alcoholic. Occasional Circuit.

Suppliments taken :- Gravy with the pastry product, Crisps (or sometimes nuts) with the ale.

Who cares who wins???
    We may not win the match but we will certainly come good and spank who ever in the 3rd half/ 19th hole

it’s like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.
    That’s why you always feel smarter after a few beers.â€

12. Now that was very, VERY good. LOL.

13. sgt kilgour (ctc circa 91) recommends 8 pints of guiness, bag of chaps then fill some civvys in...

14. Is that seriously true?

15. Average week would consist of:

Training
    Run around 30 miles per week
    Cycle around 20 miles per week
    Circuit Training 2 x per week
    Hill Sprints 1 x per week
    Hillwalking 1 x per week

Supplements
    50g Whey Protein before bed every night
    1 x Multivitamin and Iron
    1 x Glucosamine Sulphate 1500mg (just started taking)

Just starting Holding Troop with RMR Scotland though, so my phys will be on the increase!!

Spenny

16. Weight train three times a week, run twice a week- approx between 2- 5 miles, play rugby once a week, then loads of beer, then rest on a sunday with a hang over plus some kind of injury ! ouch !!

17. Weight training about 3-4 times a week and swimming 1 time a week.

I also try and get some fitness at the football club here (Scotland Team).

18. Simply put - BEST POST EVER :lol: :p :D :lol: :p :D :lol: :p :D

19. Brilliant post by Fishmeister about "natural selection" :twisted:
    Oh, first post on here by the way, I was thinking along the same sort of lines of what other people do for their training.
    I am hopefully joining the Royal Marines, but before I start the ball rolling I'm trying to make sure that my phsyical fitness is as good as I need.
    At the moment I'm running about 3 miles every other day, press ups and sit ups every day, I'm averaging about 300 of each per day. Is there more I should be doing? Or is there things I shouldn't be doing? I'm not running with weights, but I'm thinking about doing some long hill walks with low weights and build up, I live in the Lake District so there are hills all over here. :mrgreen:
    sorry for this being long winded (and also the thread jacking)
    Cheers :cool:

20. I run between 45 mins and an hour, three or four times a week, swim a couple of miles three or four times a week, and play a bit of golf. I do some mountain biking now and again and quite enjoy hillwalking.

My diet is pretty healthy, meat only once or twice a week, the big thing lacking is fish as I don't like it. I don't drink a great deal, mainly because I'm usually driving if I'm on a run ashore, otherwise I'm not averse to the odd glass of wine with dinner. I probably drink too much coffee, but that's pretty much endemic in the mob.

I take a multi-vit and mineral supplement when I can remember.

Mainly I enjoy the running and swimming because it gives me time to relax rather than anything else.