How you can save money for free

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by brightspark, Mar 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As you are aware people are getting in debt and this is how to fight back.

In the days before the war, people used to huddle round the radio with a nice coal fire and the only bill they worried about was the insurance man calling once a week to pick up his premium.

Heres how you can live those days again:

[align=center]1. Sky TV.[/align]

The Costs:

a) You have to pay out £49 for a Sky + HD Box

b) You have to pay out 12X £46 monthly subscriptions costing £552 per year.

c) You have to pay out 12X £9.75 for their HD Pack costing £117 per year.

d) They charge an extra £30 set up fee for the sky + box

Your first year costs you £748.

Then each year it costs you £669 to continue to watch these HD Channels.

My advice: Get rid of Sky TV

You Save: £669 per year.

[align=center]2. Mobile Phone Contracts:[/align]

Family of 4 pay about £35 per month each

The Costs: £1680 plus costs of phoning and texting.

or £420 per year per person plus costs of phoning and texting.

My advice: Get rid of all of your mobile phones sened them off to Tescos and get 300 green points or £3 vouchers to spend on food at Tescos.

You save between £420 to £1620 per year ( Not including phone calls and texts) and you get £3 to £12 to spend on food in Tesco's.

[align=center]3. Council Tax:[/align]

The Costs £1450 to £3000 per year

Each year they increase by about 10% costing you an extra £145 to £300 per year.

My Advice:
    Tell your children not to vandalise parks.
    Put all your litter in the bins
    Don't Vandalise buses
    Don't write graffiti on the walls.
    Be nice to people, help your neighbours, look after your own elderly
    plus many other good deeds.

You save: About £145 to £300 per year and eventually these prices may fall. then you masy need less services which will save even more.

[align=center]4. Cars.[/align]
    [align=justify]
    [align=center]Costs:[/align] [/align]If you own a 4x4/ People Carrier/ BMW/ Jaguar etc these cars have milages as low as 12.1 miles to 25 miles per gallon.

Fuel cost based on 20 miles per day at £4 per gallon. The above cars can cost you £2080 per year in fuel
    HP Payments can be £11544 per year
    Car Tax around £400 per year
    Car Insurance £800 or so
    Plus other costs like breakdown/ repair costly for these tin cans.

My advice: Get rid of them as they are a milestone around your necks and eat into your savings like a lion devours it's pray.

Get a car that does 65 miles per Gallon costing just over £400 in fuel per year
    HP Payments about £2080 per year
    Car insurance about £120 per year.
    Costs of repairs are much cheaper.

You save (Ignoring repairs) £10144 ( Yes over Ten Grand a year)

You can save even more as now you can get an 85 mile per gallon car.

[align=center]5. Energy Costs. ( Electricity)[/align]

A) If you have a printer connected to your computer and you don't use it it costs about £54-60 per year based on you being on the computer for 7 days a week at 4 hours.

My advice: Pull the plug
    You save: £54-60 per year:

B) When you boil a kettle it costs a fortune every year, but heres how to save. When it reaches boiling point, knock it off yourself as it runs an extra 20 seconds after it has boiled.
    The Costs:
    This 20 seconds can cost you an extra £35 per year.

My advice: Don't over fill your kettle and knock it off yourself when it reaches boiling point.

You save £35 per year and more if you don't overfill it.

I can give you much more tips.

If you all do as i tell you, think of all that money you will have to spend on coming over to see me here on the Isle of Man and watch the TT Races.

We could all meet in the boozer to regale each other on how we all saved a fortune.

[align=center]In summary.[/align]

Ditch your Gas guzzling cars ( Sell them for scrap you would be better off)
    Ditch all your Mobile Phones
    Get rid of Sky TV
    Be nice in your Communities
    And watch how you use your Electricity.

Be free from stress and worry and save yourselves over £12500 per year

Take my advice, you will all be better off.

Live long and prosper as my good friend Spock would say.

Love and kisses

Mike.

2. But what about people like me? Who are filthy rich and don`t give a fukc?

3. And what about people like me, I don't have sky TV, a mobile phone or a car. I don't pay council tax - I'm a student. I'm careful with my gas and electric, and I'm one of the nicest people I know. What can I do?

I think its very mean not to include some information for those of us who are already careful with our money.

In the words of Brian's mum: "You're a very naughty boy!"

4. And be very very misarable indeed .you cant take it with you !

5. And be very very misarable indeed .you cant take it with you ![/quote]
    Quite right - as they say - 'shrouds don't have pockets.'
    ok, I'm not filthy rich like Hig, (just comfortably off ) but Mr JW and I will have as good a time as we can, so as not to leave the kids having to pay inheritance tax! Think the term is 'ski-ing' :D
    JW

6. Is there a point to this thread ?

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yeah, saw a Wren do that in the Ops Room once - think she was SPS and had an SPC either side of her... 8O :wink:

8. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

9. d
    Dont know about a tent but a VW camper sounds good :D

10. brightspark - you want to stop smoking that stuff ...

11. or start ?

12. Quite right - as they say - 'shrouds don't have pockets.'
    ok, I'm not filthy rich like Hig, (just comfortably off ) but Mr JW and I will have as good a time as we can, so as not to leave the kids having to pay inheritance tax! Think the term is 'ski-ing' :D
    JW[/quote]

Tell your kids that if they want your hard earned when your a gonna. - Start Saving. You ain't getting my assetts and chattles on a plate! :wink:

13. Think BS needs to choke on off

14. Eh? I followed some advice given by that poncy twat
    that's on GMTV, gobbing off about saving money...
    whats-is-name.....Martin Lewis, yeah thats him.
    He said "make your money go further" so I thought
    I'd have a go. Ran out of fags at half-two yesterday
    morning, so I gets in my 4.0 Litre Hummer and
    drives to an all night garage in Aberdeen for twenty
    Benson&Hedges. Cost me a f***ing fortune it did.
    I mean....couldn't make me money go any further
    than that could I??

Yours Sincerely,

Pissed off of Plymouth.

15. BS you joined 16 days ago then come on here tell how to live our lives. I dont have sky, do have a mobile £10 a month contract (beat that !) and a car that does 38 mpg.

Come to think on it BS stand for something else aswell.... :knob:

16. Sounds like a throbbing night out

17. Here's some more money saving ideas.

When you have taken my advice to:

Ditch your Gas guzzling cars ( Sell them for scrap you would be better off)
    Ditch all your Mobile Phones
    Get rid of Sky TV
    Be nice in your Communities
    And watch how you use your Electricity.

You might think life is a bit boring without a Telly and Mobile Phone!

I have the sollution to both:

1. Buy a cheap wind - up radio to save on Electric and invite a few friends over to your totally candle lit house.
    Have them gather round and listen to BBC Radio 4 Shipping Forecast and music programs.
    Have your friends take it in turn to wind up the radio, should keep them amused for hours and as the householder you can think about all the money you will be saving.

2. If your suffering withdrawl symptoms from not having a Mobile Phone:
    Buy a CB Radio and aerial with a fraction of the money you saved and talk all day to truckers and if your really ambitious do some DXing abroad. No Contracts or pay as you go. Learn the CB 10 Codes. Join a CB Club
    Study the RAE course and become a Radio Amateur and learn morse code.

3. To save on heating bills, switch of your heating and wear a mountain type jacket around the house!
    Colombia make one called the "Titan" and Hagloffs make one called the "Lim Down Jacket" and Montane make one called the "Antifreeze Jacket" They cost around £120 but they are worth every penny if you ware them round the house from September to March. They pay for themselves Ten fold in the Electricity you save.
    They are very light weight to ware.
    If it's exceptionally cold: Get out the Wind up Radio tune into a rock show and do some headbanging, that will keep you warm.

4. Go to Church on Sunday's: They provide free heating for a few hours for you to keep warm.
    Don't forget to walk and save on buying fuel.
    Pray for our doomed economy.

5. This is a tough one: Every night go to your local pub and buy half a pint of tap water for around 10P and make it last from 6PM to Midnight, you can watch TV for free and save on heating.

Shopping:
    I went to Tesco's and i saw Kellogs Corn flakes for over £2 for 500 Grammes so i decided to buy Tesco Value Corn Flakes also 500 Grammes at about 60P ( They tasted a bit ropy but not too bad) When i realised i had saved about £1-40 i realised how great they tasted.

When our economy collapses you will thank me for following these guidelines.

HIGTHEPIG worries me most "He says he's filthy rich" That won't last
    My advice: Get all your money out of the bank and bury it under the ground, as you won't have it for long.

Good luck! Your going to need it!

18. wind - up. says it all

19. I agree with 4to8, BS is having a giraffe.

In fact I have a tip for BS, you could live like a bloke called Eff eff in some remote forest in the eastern end of Germany. He lives off the land and what he can scrounge, beg or borrow . Costs nothing, not that he can save anything as he doesn't have a job.

It would the definite advantage for us that BS would of course have no access to the internet. :D

20. He surely can't be in the forces lol