Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would you deal with the anti-capitalist protesters at St Pauls Cathedral?

finknottle

Banned
I made no inference that the House of Lords played no part in "Law Making". However, no policies or manifesto's are made independently by the upper house, in fact they come from a manifesto set by the people we think of as the "Government" ie. the Lower House. In reality, the only time anybody is really bothered about the House of Lords is when the annual set of drips comes around as to who has been made a Life Peer, or when there is a contentious issue that has divided the Commons.

Again, the context is everything. The context of this is that you have abused your right to edit your own posts and have deleted completely, the one that started this little meander off-topic.

You inferred in your post, that the House of Lords has and uses, the right to create Bills and act upon them to create law, independently of the elected Lower House. Futhermore, in context of this thread, you inferred that there are a significant number of senior Clergy in the Upper House doing just this.

The reality of this little sideshow is this; You made a post a couple of days ago without any real knowledge of the subject matter you were getting into and belatedly realised you were wrong So you deleted your comments, hoping nobody would notice. Unfortunately for you, someone did notice and responded accordingly. Then, instead of admitting your mistake, you have twisted and bent the responses you have received in an attempt to cover you own rashness in typing without researching.

Again, if you wish to debate this topic further, then please re-instate your original, misguided and ignorant post which begain this little diversion. If not, please move on back to the point of this thread.

Grubber

Well Grubber it looks as though we have both submitted posts that could be interpreted in different ways and I believe that when it comes to our political system I am not a complete dunderhead.

As for this missing post of mine that you keep banging on about, if one of the moderators can extract it from the recycling- bin I am more than happy for them to bang it back up?

Oh Finknottle, how could you?
Zounds sirrah! Thou foul spoken coward, that thund'rest with thy tongue and with thy weapon nothing dares perform.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I have completely forgotten what this thread is about - or given up the will to find out...

finknottle

Banned
The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, has said the protests outside St Paul's Cathedral have "triggered awareness" of the unfinished business between government and banks, and the need to deliver a more just and rational economic system.

He said the public had the feeling that changes to financial institutions were not coming fast enough.

Source BBC News I hour ago.

Well said RW, my sentiments exactly.

jaybee48

Lantern Swinger
Just to get back on track, well, sort of - from what I'm led to believe the only reason these people are in St Paul's courtyard is that the 'bules moved them on from the BoE just round the corner.
Looking at it logically, there are very few places in central London where groups of people can convene in peaceful protest, because of the tightened security measures that have been implemented through the prevention of terrorism act.
St. Pauls, because of its somewhat priviledged position as a "safe haven" from common law restrictions was therefore an ideal place for these protesters to continue their demonstration against *whatever* simply because the Dean gave his consent to their occupancy of the yard.
That's where he dropped a bollock; in an effort to show some sort of sympathy with the group's general direction, he unwittingly gave them carte blanche to stay there indefinitely, and gave then the wherewithal to thumb their collective noses to the forces of law and order.
It doesn't matter much whether you agree with what they're trying to achieve or not - and that's something of a moot point - however the things that most people would object to is the ad hoc way it's being done, and the fact that they're using the religious sanctuary provision to their own advantage.
Word has it that they will be moved on at some point - and if they have then forgive me, I don't spend my life looking at BBC news 24 - they will be gone from St. Pauls. Although I'd broadly agree that capitalism has caused a helluva lot of trouble for a helluva lot of people, it's the only system that seems to have worked reasonably well throughout history so someone will have to come up with a pretty good alternative before anything changes.
Just my couple of bobs' worth.....
JB.

backed-bean

Midshipman
MOD EDIT

Having allowed a bit of off thread banter, the thread was brought back on track by jaybee48, just in time. It's a bit early to go off track again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS £2.4 billion munitions deal secures thousands of UK jobs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK secures vital rollover trade deal with Canada and agrees to start negotiating more advanced deal next year MoD News 0
MoD_RSS European Commission refers review of Virgin and O2 deal to CMA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £251 million Ayrshire Growth Deal signed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DfT publishes recommendations to deliver fairer deal for communities on HS2 property schemes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Yorkshire boat builders secure first export deal with UKEF backing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crowdcube/Seedrs deal fast tracked to in-depth CMA investigation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK appoints champion to support developing countries to deal with climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Agri-Tech start-up lassoes deal with US ranchers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vital rail services protected through new deal with Arriva CrossCountry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal between Carlsberg and Marston’s given the go-ahead MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK FinTech exporter signs deal to make card payments safer in the US MoD News 0
soleil FB: The Bands Of HM Royal Marines:: The 31st Anniversary Of The Deal Barracks Bombing The Corps 2
MoD_RSS UK-Japan trade deal offers boost to Welsh businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK-Japan trade deal offers boost to Scottish businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Construction materials deal raises competition concerns MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government confirms £32.5 million investment in Moray Growth Deal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal between Visa and Plaid given the go-ahead MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Half a million frontline NHS workers benefit from coronavirus telecoms deal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: A New Deal for Britain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ‘Build build build’: Prime Minister announces New Deal for Britain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hundreds of arrests and deal lines closed as police crackdown on county lines gangs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 70 million face masks for NHS and care workers through new industry deal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA gives Just Eat and Takeaway.com deal the green light MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Payment software deal cleared by CMA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1 billion deal to end poor rural mobile coverage agreed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK welcomes US deal with the Taliban and calls for Afghan leaders to seize opportunity to end decades of conflict MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stirling and Clackmannanshire City Region Deal full deal signing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Payment software deal does not raise competition concerns MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal between Google and Looker given the go-ahead MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aiming for early trade deal with Australia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal agreed to move 200 nuclear jobs into community MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal between Prosafe and Floatel raises competition concerns MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal To See Restored Government In Northern Ireland Tomorrow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Iran nuclear deal: Foreign Secretary statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Transformative North Wales Growth Deal signed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1 billion deal set to solve poor mobile coverage MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Senior Traffic Commissioner outlines proposals to help operators with no deal EU exit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Secretary responds to UK deal with EU MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Secretary announces £25 million for new Growth Deal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS United States crowns UK gin and wine blend with £90k export deal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: legal guidance to prepare for no-deal EU exit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 'No deal' EU exit advice: further ports will be designated for movement of protected animals and plants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated guidance on the movement of equines in a no deal scenario MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letters on no deal Brexit advice for businesses trading with the EU and/or the rest of the world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Iranian compliance with the nuclear deal: UK statement, 5 September 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government announces immigration plans for no deal Brexit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 2 improvements to ensure passengers get a better deal on rail fares MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and Korea to sign trade continuity deal to ensure businesses are ready to trade post-Brexit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letters on no deal Brexit advice for businesses trading with the EU MoD News 0