Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would you deal with the anti-capitalist protesters at St Pauls Cathedral?

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
They were moved on and set up outside st Paul's instead

...so it seems in this case, cleanliness is NOT next to Godliness..? (cf: Acts 9:32 - 10:23) :shock: :wink:

On another note, it is telling how committed the protesters are to their cause, if this thermal image photo of their camp is anything to go by:

:roll:

G

guestm

Of course, the Guardian. that great bastion of neutrality and common sense reporting. Note particularly, the lack of a quote from anybody from the C of E and of any references.

In order to remain 'modern and relevant', to use one of our own catchphrases, the Church has had to move with the times and invest it's money in the modern fashion. This is particularly relevant with the current low return for savers. Were they not to do that, I'm sure you would be here lambasting the appalling state of our (particularly historic) religious buildings. I'm sure many will scoff at this sentiment from me, but I've paid to go in and don't have a problem with it. These buildings are astronomical to maintain. Indeed, I have a friend who is a stone mason and his services are far from cheap, even in a comparative world where skilled trades are dying out and can earn a premium wage.

Come on, you can do better than this.

An excellent post. Passing a tin around a congregation of six isn't going to keep the Church going and Cardinal Wolsey isn't around anymore so a more forward thinking approach is required. At the very lowest level, a village church costs 100,000 p.a. to maintain, a new roof in the region of £40,000. There are 150,000+ churches in England alone. Do the math.

So now you say you would be happy to pay your entrance fee, as long as the exchequer see's it's portion of your cash?

Please also feel free to expand on 'un-elected lawmakers', as (maybe I'm ignorant on this) I don't remember the Church passing passing legislation that circumnavigates our democratic system of government.

Edited to add: This won't make much sense as there is a post from Finknottle which is now missing. Odd.

Deleting posts and conjuring sockpuppets to back up his argument? How downright seedy.

Seadog

War Hero
Of HM, finknottle wrote
The head of the church is one of the richest women in the world so she should be stumping up some of that vast wealth.
She's also head of the Armed Forces. Should she be stumping up to finance the odd ship refit too?

Anyway I digress; I see no good reason to move on the protesters, as far as I am concerned as long as they behave themselves they should remain there as long as they wish.
To the whose benefit, to what end?

finknottle

Banned
Of HM, finknottle wrote
She's also head of the Armed Forces. Should she be stumping up to finance the odd ship refit too?

To the whose benefit, to what end?

They are exercising their right to protest peacefully; maybe you think that should not be allowed? What they are doing is more than most of us do here me included, we just whinge on about anything and everything and do nothing proactive.

Anyway onwards and upwards:

The City of London Corporation has "paused" its legal action against the anti-capitalist protest camp outside St Paul's Cathedral.

It said it wanted to "leave more space for a resolution" of what to do about the 200-tent Occupy London camp.

Stuart Fraser, the corporation's policy chairman, said the decision followed the cathedral's move to suspend its own legal action against the camp.

The church said it had wanted to "engage directly" with the protesters.

Mr Fraser said: "'The church has changed its standpoint and announced it is suspending legal action on its land.

BBC News.

The City of London Corporation should have kept their snouts out as it is not their land.

Since you mention it she has a huge unearned fortune, so maybe coughing up for the odd refit would not be a bad idea.

Last edited:

Grubber

Lantern Swinger
Grubber, did Dave slip an elected second chamber in when I was having my afternoon nap?

No but then the House of Lords isn't toppers with Clergymen and doesn't generally make the policy that becomes Parliamentary Bills and Laws.

BTW, if you're going to answer back to my reply to it, then please re-instate your original post ref. this.

finknottle

Banned
No but then the House of Lords isn't toppers with Clergymen and doesn't generally make the policy that becomes Parliamentary Bills and Laws.

BTW, if you're going to answer back to my reply to it, then please re-instate your original post ref. this.

My response to the above regarding the role of the H of L:

Link

Seadog

War Hero
finknottle wrote
They are exercising their right to protest peacefully; maybe you think that should not be allowed?
So long as they don't inconvenience anyone or if it's unavoidable, be quick about it. Having obtained permission to demonstrate (did they?) banners, chanting, marching, spouting your bollocks to the faithful and media, pick up your gash (yeah right) and go home.

finknottle wrote
The City of London Corporation should have kept their snouts out as it is not their land.
Even if the land belonged to the bag mealy protesters, affected third parties can take legal action. Maybe you think that should not be allowed?

Reference my post #43 finknottle wrote of HM

Since you mention it she has a huge unearned fortune, so maybe coughing up for the odd refit would not be a bad idea.
And the killick stoker who just inherited £2 million should cough up for replacement engine for the RIB? It is 'his' bit of kit and he didn't earn his wealth. Inheritance, maybe you think that should not be allowed?

Spotted at the protest, a placard imploring readers to
google, people not profits
Or have Google been using child labour and the placard's message is aimed at Google? Unlikely. I think that the protesters are so thick that they don't understand irony and what they are protesting about.

broadside

War Hero
Originally Posted by Grubber
My Response. Note the bit where it says BOTH houses have to be in agreement:

Law > How UK Laws are made

My response to the above is that in a previous post of yours your inference was that the H of L's played no part in law making.

OK Fink, you are going to have to help me out here because I have trawled back through Grubber's posts on this thread and I can't see any such inference - if I have missed it please help, if I have failed to pick up on a nuance, please help and if I have failed to interpret dodgy grammar or spelling in the same way as you have ... please help

Last edited:

finknottle

Banned
OK Fink, you are going to have to help me out here because I have trawled back through Grubber's posts on this thread and I can't see any such inference - if I have missed it please help, if I have failed to pick up on a nuance, please help and if I have failed to interpret dodgy grammar or spelling in the same way as you have ... please help

Yesterday at 2238. That is how I interpreted the post be it right or wrong.

I would if I knew how to do it.

Last edited:

flymo

War Hero
On the subject of the Church charging to enter the Cathedral, it's very easy to be outraged at the cost without pausing to think where the money goes. Hundreds of old churches and associated buildings don't pay for themselves. Vicars, Priests, Deans, Deacons etc aren't going to get far in the world without a means to live by. Put the Express down and look at the bigger picture please.

Don't feel to bad about the churchy bods. Mrs Flymo worked for a company who looked after the 'tax efficient' savings for some of these clerical types .... :angry6:

Last edited:

broadside

War Hero
Yesterday at 2238. That is how I interpreted the post be it right or wrong.

I would if I knew how to do it.

OK- Got it. You were presumably picking up on the "make policy" bit. I confess I thought the Upper House was there to amend or pass legislation rather than make it but I see where the misinterpretation may have come from

Grubber

Lantern Swinger
My response to the above is that in a previous post of yours your inference was that the H of L's played no part in law making.

I made no inference that the House of Lords played no part in "Law Making". However, no policies or manifesto's are made independently by the upper house, in fact they come from a manifesto set by the people we think of as the "Government" ie. the Lower House. In reality, the only time anybody is really bothered about the House of Lords is when the annual set of drips comes around as to who has been made a Life Peer, or when there is a contentious issue that has divided the Commons.

Again, the context is everything. The context of this is that you have abused your right to edit your own posts and have deleted completely, the one that started this little meander off-topic.

You inferred in your post, that the House of Lords has and uses, the right to create Bills and act upon them to create law, independently of the elected Lower House. Futhermore, in context of this thread, you inferred that there are a significant number of senior Clergy in the Upper House doing just this.

The reality of this little sideshow is this; You made a post a couple of days ago without any real knowledge of the subject matter you were getting into and belatedly realised you were wrong So you deleted your comments, hoping nobody would notice. Unfortunately for you, someone did notice and responded accordingly. Then, instead of admitting your mistake, you have twisted and bent the responses you have received in an attempt to cover you own rashness in typing without researching.

Again, if you wish to debate this topic further, then please re-instate your original, misguided and ignorant post which begain this little diversion. If not, please move on back to the point of this thread.

Grubber

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS £2.4 billion munitions deal secures thousands of UK jobs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK secures vital rollover trade deal with Canada and agrees to start negotiating more advanced deal next year MoD News 0
MoD_RSS European Commission refers review of Virgin and O2 deal to CMA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £251 million Ayrshire Growth Deal signed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DfT publishes recommendations to deliver fairer deal for communities on HS2 property schemes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Yorkshire boat builders secure first export deal with UKEF backing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crowdcube/Seedrs deal fast tracked to in-depth CMA investigation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK appoints champion to support developing countries to deal with climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Agri-Tech start-up lassoes deal with US ranchers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vital rail services protected through new deal with Arriva CrossCountry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal between Carlsberg and Marston’s given the go-ahead MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK FinTech exporter signs deal to make card payments safer in the US MoD News 0
soleil FB: The Bands Of HM Royal Marines:: The 31st Anniversary Of The Deal Barracks Bombing The Corps 2
MoD_RSS UK-Japan trade deal offers boost to Welsh businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK-Japan trade deal offers boost to Scottish businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Construction materials deal raises competition concerns MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government confirms £32.5 million investment in Moray Growth Deal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal between Visa and Plaid given the go-ahead MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Half a million frontline NHS workers benefit from coronavirus telecoms deal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: A New Deal for Britain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ‘Build build build’: Prime Minister announces New Deal for Britain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hundreds of arrests and deal lines closed as police crackdown on county lines gangs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 70 million face masks for NHS and care workers through new industry deal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA gives Just Eat and Takeaway.com deal the green light MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Payment software deal cleared by CMA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1 billion deal to end poor rural mobile coverage agreed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK welcomes US deal with the Taliban and calls for Afghan leaders to seize opportunity to end decades of conflict MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stirling and Clackmannanshire City Region Deal full deal signing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Payment software deal does not raise competition concerns MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal between Google and Looker given the go-ahead MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aiming for early trade deal with Australia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal agreed to move 200 nuclear jobs into community MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal between Prosafe and Floatel raises competition concerns MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal To See Restored Government In Northern Ireland Tomorrow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Iran nuclear deal: Foreign Secretary statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Transformative North Wales Growth Deal signed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1 billion deal set to solve poor mobile coverage MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Senior Traffic Commissioner outlines proposals to help operators with no deal EU exit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Secretary responds to UK deal with EU MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Secretary announces £25 million for new Growth Deal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS United States crowns UK gin and wine blend with £90k export deal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: legal guidance to prepare for no-deal EU exit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 'No deal' EU exit advice: further ports will be designated for movement of protected animals and plants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated guidance on the movement of equines in a no deal scenario MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letters on no deal Brexit advice for businesses trading with the EU and/or the rest of the world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Iranian compliance with the nuclear deal: UK statement, 5 September 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government announces immigration plans for no deal Brexit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 2 improvements to ensure passengers get a better deal on rail fares MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and Korea to sign trade continuity deal to ensure businesses are ready to trade post-Brexit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letters on no deal Brexit advice for businesses trading with the EU MoD News 0