Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would you deal with the anti-capitalist protesters at St Pauls Cathedral?

finknottle

Banned
IMO it's a valid non- violent protest highlighting the excesses of bankers and the global finance system and they should be allowed to remain.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
IMO 90% are hooray henries who have no job and go back home at night as was proven when they used a thermal camera on the tents. Those un-occupied should be given to shelterbox or some other charity. The remaining one or two could stay.

Drakey

War Hero
Take away their mobile phones, digital cameras, stop their access to the internet and any other technologicalised piece of kit and then see how they cope.

Seadog

War Hero
finknottle wrote
IMO it's a valid non- violent protest highlighting the excesses of bankers and the global finance system and they should be allowed to remain.

Highlighting the excesses of bankers? Rock bottom interest rates gave me a clue before the helpful campers turned up. The protesters don't seem to have an objective or measure of success. One knob was banging on about the high interest rates being the fault of the bankers. The BBC reporter didn't ask her where she banks. Another was blaming the aristocracy. WTF? So some of them don't even know what they are protesting against, let alone what they are protesting for. And the excesses of the previous government are as worthy of protest as those of the bankers. This recession is not global, whatever Broon says in his half arrsed defence.

So what to do? Well apart from those on holiday or a leave of absence from work if it was up to me, I'd find a device by which to dock their dole money, especially when they turn up at the local Tesco Metro to buy cider. Get a job and contribute.

fishhead

War Hero
Like seadog I can't see at what point they might say "protest over we have achieved our aims".Like `em or loathe `em the Banks ore here to stay and communism does not look likely to surpass capitalism any time in the forseeable future so the protesters are either there forever or until another point of protest catches their eye.Personally I would get them shifted in the middle of the night away from the media glare and rob them of the attention they think they deserve.

Grubber

Lantern Swinger
As was mentioned on last week's Question Time, Armistice Day is around the corner and they need to be moved before then. If they really care about this issue and not the just notoriety of being associated with it, they will move somewhere more appropriate.

I do get the feeling that, although there are is a hard core of genuine protesters, most are just there to be a 'face on the scene'.

finknottle

Banned
IMO 90% are hooray henries who have no job and go back home at night as was proven when they used a thermal camera on the tents. Those un-occupied should be given to shelterbox or some other charity. The remaining one or two could stay.

Yes I heard that on Question Time last week that they have to pop off home to pick up the Fortnum and Mason lunch hamper that mummy has got in for the following day.

finknottle

Banned
As was mentioned on last week's Question Time, Armistice Day is around the corner and they need to be moved before then. If they really care about this issue and not the just notoriety of being associated with it, they will move somewhere more appropriate.

I do get the feeling that, although there are is a hard core of genuine protesters, most are just there to be a 'face on the scene'.

Surely one of the reasons that they paid the ultimate sacrifice was that we could have the luxury of free speech and be allowed to peacefully protest?

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Surely one of the reasons that they paid the ultimate sacrifice was that we could have the luxury of free speech and be allowed to peacefully protest?

My great uncle paid the ultimate sacrifice and has his name inscribed on the blitz fire fighters memorial outside St Pauls. Come Armistice day I fully intend to be there in uniform. If any of these ***** decide to express their right to free speech in my direction, I'll express my right to stab the cretins with my bayonet.

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer

With that freedom, which took two world wars and thousands of lives to finally set in place, comes responsibility.

No-one has the right to protest irresponsibly. The church has asked them to move, protestors have refused, I don't therefore consider them acting responsibly. The protesters are now staying put because a: they are getting tv time, b: the weather has been very clement for this time of year. Add some rain and watch their principles wash away, rapidly.

finknottle

Banned
With that freedom, which took two world wars and thousands of lives to finally set in place, comes responsibility.

No-one has the right to protest irresponsibly. The church has asked them to move, protestors have refused, I don't therefore consider them acting responsibly. The protesters are now staying put because a: they are getting tv time, b: the weather has been very clement for this time of year. Add some rain and watch their principles wash away, rapidly.

I think they have chosen the right place to protest, £14 to enter a house of God! They have turned the Cathedral into a den of thieves through their commercial activities if JC were alive he would kick those clerics out on their arses.

Grubber

Lantern Swinger

Agreed. If they want to come back afterwards then fine. But for the period of remembrance, they should respect those who safeguarded their rights for them and keep their distance.

Just because you can does NOT mean you should.

Grubber

Lantern Swinger
On the subject of the Church charging to enter the Cathedral, it's very easy to be outraged at the cost without pausing to think where the money goes. Hundreds of old churches and associated buildings don't pay for themselves. Vicars, Priests, Deans, Deacons etc aren't going to get far in the world without a means to live by. Put the Express down and look at the bigger picture please.

Guzzler

War Hero

What on earth does 'protest irresponsibly' mean? Protest is meant to inconvenience, it wouldn't be much of a protest otherwise. It's like these mouth breathing DM readers asking why teachers don't strike during the school holidays *bangs head on wall*.

IT'S A PROTEST!

Capitalism has failed, good on the protestors. My only drip is their peaceful approach.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS £2.4 billion munitions deal secures thousands of UK jobs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK secures vital rollover trade deal with Canada and agrees to start negotiating more advanced deal next year MoD News 0
MoD_RSS European Commission refers review of Virgin and O2 deal to CMA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £251 million Ayrshire Growth Deal signed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DfT publishes recommendations to deliver fairer deal for communities on HS2 property schemes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Yorkshire boat builders secure first export deal with UKEF backing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crowdcube/Seedrs deal fast tracked to in-depth CMA investigation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK appoints champion to support developing countries to deal with climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Agri-Tech start-up lassoes deal with US ranchers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vital rail services protected through new deal with Arriva CrossCountry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal between Carlsberg and Marston’s given the go-ahead MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK FinTech exporter signs deal to make card payments safer in the US MoD News 0
soleil FB: The Bands Of HM Royal Marines:: The 31st Anniversary Of The Deal Barracks Bombing The Corps 2
MoD_RSS UK-Japan trade deal offers boost to Welsh businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK-Japan trade deal offers boost to Scottish businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Construction materials deal raises competition concerns MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government confirms £32.5 million investment in Moray Growth Deal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal between Visa and Plaid given the go-ahead MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Half a million frontline NHS workers benefit from coronavirus telecoms deal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: A New Deal for Britain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ‘Build build build’: Prime Minister announces New Deal for Britain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hundreds of arrests and deal lines closed as police crackdown on county lines gangs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 70 million face masks for NHS and care workers through new industry deal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA gives Just Eat and Takeaway.com deal the green light MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Payment software deal cleared by CMA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1 billion deal to end poor rural mobile coverage agreed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK welcomes US deal with the Taliban and calls for Afghan leaders to seize opportunity to end decades of conflict MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stirling and Clackmannanshire City Region Deal full deal signing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Payment software deal does not raise competition concerns MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal between Google and Looker given the go-ahead MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aiming for early trade deal with Australia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal agreed to move 200 nuclear jobs into community MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal between Prosafe and Floatel raises competition concerns MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deal To See Restored Government In Northern Ireland Tomorrow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Iran nuclear deal: Foreign Secretary statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Transformative North Wales Growth Deal signed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1 billion deal set to solve poor mobile coverage MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Senior Traffic Commissioner outlines proposals to help operators with no deal EU exit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Secretary responds to UK deal with EU MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Secretary announces £25 million for new Growth Deal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS United States crowns UK gin and wine blend with £90k export deal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: legal guidance to prepare for no-deal EU exit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 'No deal' EU exit advice: further ports will be designated for movement of protected animals and plants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated guidance on the movement of equines in a no deal scenario MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letters on no deal Brexit advice for businesses trading with the EU and/or the rest of the world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Iranian compliance with the nuclear deal: UK statement, 5 September 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government announces immigration plans for no deal Brexit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 2 improvements to ensure passengers get a better deal on rail fares MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and Korea to sign trade continuity deal to ensure businesses are ready to trade post-Brexit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letters on no deal Brexit advice for businesses trading with the EU MoD News 0