How Would A Gibraltar war pan out?

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by BungaBunga, Aug 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I reckon The Navy Would Smash the Spanish Boats Apart, And Royal Marines Backed By Apache AH-64 Helicopters, But hey what would I know.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. This has to be a journo sniffing?
  3. No I'm not a "journo sniffing" I'm just a person trying to figer out what to do with my life after I leave school.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
  5. McDonalds Is Not An Option!
    :D :D
  6. It is with your spelling!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  7. Is BungaBunga really Silvio Berlusconi and merely entertaining himself from his jail cell?
  8. [​IMG]

Granted there is degree of similarity in the smugness but you'd be out by a factor of some 60-odd years.

Negat Scribes,

Now that skool is out for the summer the younker is just this season's Admirality-Scruffkins pleasuring himself awhiles with the salty grown-ups.
  9. Was serving (I think on the Cherry B) in the Med, when the RM were exercising 'invading' the Rock .......... totally beaten by the resident Gib Garrison ..... :)
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, trouble is Gibraltar doesn't really "stand-out" when navigating: BBC News | EUROPE | Spanish smiles over invasion gaffe
  11. From the article cited above:

At least, that's what we said it was . . .

On a serious note, there was a report not all that long ago about the persistent harassment tactics the Spanish have been using over the last year or so by entering and leaving Gib territorial waters. This could quite easily have been seen as British provocation as a response. Not saying that it was or not, but I am surprised that the Spaniards are not making more of this.

Perhaps they have got the (intended / unintended) message?
  12. Hint: Jack Straw has not been Foreign Secretary for some time, now.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Charybdis decommissioned in 1991.
  14. And ?? ..... maybe you should also have said that she was used as a target in 1993 ?
    It's not the first time that invasion exercisies were carried out on Gib, perhaps I should have said this was in the 60s to help those who think the mob exists only for those serving now ? :p
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Put your handbag down. ^_~

I was replying to Bandy E with regard the age of the news article and the fact none of us were talking about present day.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Without knowing the exercise instructions and limitations, we don't know whether the exercise was for the benefit of the Gib. Regt. or the RM Detachment, so the comment is rather superfluous. And out of date.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Well, at least that might have enabled Dredd not to confuse and conflate events that happened over a decade apart.
    But, then again, if I can spot the date on an article, anyone should be able to.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  18. Oops . . . noted.

:( :banghead:
    • Like Like x 1