How to survive in the FAA

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by huffnut_cringe, Aug 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quite frankly I can not understand anyone wanting to join the FAA as a hand, very few aeroplanes, unsaveory living conditions aboard a ship and only officers being trained to to to do the interesting (and easy) jobs like flying airplanes and driving ships. nice work if you can get it. Dont even think about being a hand, youre treated like shite and at the end of the day youre pension is only a tenth of a junior officers, forget about being a hand join as an officer, remember the list.
    1 Interesting work
    2 Good living accomodation
    3 Excellent pension
    4 Smart uniform
    5 Good salary
    6 Plenty of hollidays

Hard work
    Not appreciated
    Terrible living Accomodation
    Silly uniform
    Low wages

Chose wisely
  2. i take it someone isnt happy in their place of work today
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, yeah... and not everyone aspires, or has the qualifications, to become an occifer. Sour grapes perhaps?! :roll:
  4. Utter bollox
  5. How about:
    Work becomes more interesting with promotion as does living accommodation.
    Uniform at senior rate level improves, or does it? In the States and many other countries Jolly Jack in uniform never had a problem attracting the fanny.
    Wages improve with promotion, you want more money pass your advancement exams.
    Holidays, same for all basically, except jack seems to get more early chops and make & mends than the occifer class
    Pension, yes occifers do get a better pension, though many are on short service commissions so never really qualify for the BIG pension.

Now how about employment once you leave?
    Lots of civvie companies love ex service personnel. They like their loyalty, CDF and their skills.
  6. Well you do know whey they are called OFFICER & RATING Don't you?

Explanation Below:

O utstanding Salary
    F inest Uniform
    F irst Class Accommodation
    I nteresting work
    C areer Development Path
    E xcellent Pension
    R & R as much as you want

R eally impractical uniform
    A ttrocious Living Accommodation
    T reated like Sh!t
    I nsufficient Income
    N ot Valued / Appreciated
    G rossly overworked

7. Or.......

F'ing idle
    Fussier than women
    Ignorant of anything below their pay scale
    Chiefs could do it better
    Extremely overpaid
    Ratings run the Navy
  8. Not always, there are some shite jobs out there. Unfortunately doing the interesting jobs keeps you out of the promotion circuit, but you pay your money, you take your choice.

Again not always, most of the accomodation I had in my career was pretty questionable. Portacabins beside the police dog pound took the biscuit.

It's not bad, but then being based on the final salary one achieves in ones career it provides an incentive to drive for promotion.

Mind you the new system isn't that great. For me it broke even by the time I was 74. So I didn't change.

That you have to pay for yourself, and in any case most people nowadays have the same working rig; tropical shirt, black trousers.

In real terms it's pretty shite. It's better than an ABs, but then again what's the purpose. Given that this isn't a communist state (last time I looked but the print media are working hard on that) then paying people differentials encourages those who wish to go for promotion to do so.

Same leave allowance as everyone else, and less likely to actually use it. Most in my latter years never managed to use their allocation.

Now, as a civilian, I have more leave available to me than I had in the service.

Did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?
  9. Karma
    Not often that we are in agreement but this time we not only have the same hymn sheet, we are on the same hymn.
    Life in the RN whether lower deck or upper deck is what you make it.
    You want a commission, no problem go for it, you want to stop getting the cleaning jobs, go for your hook or POs rate.
    Nothing in life is a gift (except social security) if it's worth having it's worth working for.
  10. Interesting yes. Easy NO!

Ask any Aircrewman (you know, the one's that don't have a commision and fly) about failure rates through training, over 50% I think you'll find!

Or you could always put your money where your mouth is and put in for a branch change............
  11. Err - you been to Culdrose lately? SLA for the lads, SR accomm being sorted, no money left for the WR, which is rubbish.

Some of my mates are SD's (or SUYs) who worked their back sides off to get a commission so JunglyDaz's comment about Chiefs doing it better is bollox. Especially some of the Chiefs I know. And the Navy I serve in is not run by ratings - they just think they do.
  12. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Uh!!, do the words sense of humour and superiority complex mean anything to you young Sir. You might want to try sarcasm, irony or some other incongruous humour to state your point; ne ne nenene is still better suited to the playground, your SD "friends" wouldn't have bit so easily :w00t: So much to learn, so little time.
  13. Careful Chief the guys that you are talking to sound as if they have been in for years, and years,and years...................................................after all they are Upper Class............fnar, fnar, :w00t:
  14. chieftiff

As Harold McMillan put it
    "It has been said that there is no fool like an old fool, except a young fool. But the young fool has first to grow up to be an old fool to realize what a damn fool he was when he was a young fool."
  15. This has been a common complaint in the Pusser ever since I joined in '61 - since when has this been a solely FAA problem ?
  16. chieftiff

It's been a common complaint since the beginning of time I suspect, doesn't make it real or true though. The grass will always be greener on the other side, it's no different in any other walk of life. I'm fortunate because I work on both sides of the fence (ooh er!) believe me Officers get just as much crap from above as the rest of us, feel just as aggrieved about it and drip as much.
  17. I was educationally qualified for SD when I joined, and passed professionally in 1973. When I was offered an SD course a year later, I turned it down: I found that as the Senior Rate of my branch, I would get more respect from the wardroom, as I could fight my corner (right or wrong)as a Senior Rate, and get more respect than I would've as the junior member of the wardroom. Plus I felt more at home with the boys than I ever could with people who I had nothing in common with, socially or professionally. Never regretted it, and her indoors firmly backed me up on it, which helped me make up my mind - as if I ever had any doubts.
  18. I just cant understand naval officers logic, they have had ratings onboard thier ships for over 200 years and treated and dressed them like shite, as the hands have got pissed off with this and gradually left, with no replacements, they decided to co op women to take thier place. Unfortunatly for them the girls are not prepared to put up with these crap living conditions, the Ocean is going in for a refit to improve the girls accomodation ( aka single cabins as officers) as all new ships, but the hands who roll over on thier backs and put thier feet up in the air have still got to suffer crap living accomodation (not much equality there). How little slips of girls (Faye not included) can achive this in just a couple of decades is all credit to them, although I have heard several officers say that the only reason WRNS are on board is to see how quick they can get into thier pants.
  19. Erm, you`re not Normans brother are you?
  20. Who the hells Norman? Not the CO of 74 Sqdn 1956, Sqdn motto "I fear no man" , changed to "I fear Norman."