How to put together a survival tin?

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Lost_Boy, Apr 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Without meaning to sound solid, can anyone here do me a favour and give me any advice on what'd be best to put in a survival tin? I'm a nod in phase 1 and whilst we were given a short lecture about it by the MLs, there's no way I could get half the stuff they had on display into a tin. I mean the way it took up a 3' by 3' display case was a bit of a hint it wouldn't all go in a tobacco tin...

Basically, what stuff would you put in as a priority that's actually worthwhile taking?

Cheers,

Lost Boy.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

How's about a 3'X3' Tobacco Tin? Always glad to help.

3. Oooooh, I remember making up a couple of those when I did my Duke of Edinburgh Bronze & Silver expeds. Not sure if it's relevant to you tuffy booties though?

I used a screw-top aluminium can (which doubled up as a cooking can/mug in emergencies) with birch bark and a metal "flint", a compact silvery survival blanket, glucose, horlicks tablets and some Kendal Mint cake (Mmmmmmm), needle and thread, water purifying tablets (the silver iodide straws for too expensive for us schoolboys), some salt and a piece of wire for snaring our food: such as any passing Easter Bunnies! We were told (by our ex-booty woodwork master cum D of E survival training/map reading instructor, that if we had an injured mate we should keep him warm by snuggling next to him in his sleeping bag. We all went: Oh no sir, we're not homos! :D (I made a mistake there, then :lol: )

4. Cheers all, especially NS.

5. Fish-hooks and line. A rabbit snare. Butane lighter. Butterfly sutures. Scalpel blades. Dextrose. Paper money that you have waxed. Button compass. Wire saw.

6. what about a tinder and flint thingy?For when your butane runs out?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Hang on a minute Bergen, that actually sounds sensible. Don't forget wellies, it is Britain after all.

8. Kitchen sink is a must!

9. Ninja_Stoker

Now you're being silly! There's no plumbing on those moors.

10. Ninja_Stoker

When everyone's finished arsing about- hope all goes well for you in recruit training mate- I think Bergen solved the mystery for you. Good luck.

11. What do you mean Ninj, I mean ships used to have electricity onboard, so they must have been connected to the National Grid somehow! :wink: So why not plumbed in sinks? :?

Confused of Sunset Old Peoples Home
    for the Seriously Demented

PS: As for aarse-ing around, may I remind you, sir, that this is RR! :D

12. Cheers.

13. Better than a butane lighter and what I always used to carry is a permanent match. Here's a link.....it will impress the fcuk out of your training-staff. Also add a couple of condoms in there [great for carrying water] and some anti-biotic dusting powder like Cicatrix. Probably still have room for a sail-makers needle and thread too.

http://www.permanentmatch.com/home.html

GO4IT

RM

14. Ninja_Stoker

Wow, Bergen, d'ya think he'll have time to be doing cross-stitch whilst out on the moors? I know us matelots do, but big respect to you fella for getting in touch with your feminine side. !
    .....There- is that better AaC?

15. Much better mate. :lol:

16. Cross-stitch??? Homeward bounders maybe :lol:

RM

17. Hip flask of Jack daniels, 20 fags and a lighter

18. ahhhh bless...see he is still a matlot at heart :)

19. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

If you can fit a couple of oxo cubes then do so, also a bit of rubber inner tube...not alot, its good and combustable and will light when wet, the thing with rabbit snares is unless you keep them in a bag of earth they will smell off you and a rabbit will stay away from them because of the smell for about 10 days, so if your doing something like ex Hunters moon there a waste of time, good for a proper survival tin but for an ex a waste of time.

Good luck.

20. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

If you can fit a couple of oxo cubes then do so, also a bit of rubber inner tube...not alot, its good and combustable and will light when wet, the thing with rabbit snares is unless you keep them in a bag of earth they will smell off you and a rabbit will stay away from them because of the smell for about 10 days, so if your doing something like ex Hunters moon there a waste of time, good for a proper survival tin but for an ex a waste of time.

Also, get some nutty..like yorkie bars or cadburys milk choclate and double bag it and wrap it in black maskers...so you dont eat it!....until you realy need to.

Good luck.