Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

How to go about cleaning Caps, Plastic?

persona_non_grata said:
Hello all,

Just wondering if anybody has any good tips/methods for cleaning issue plastic caps as wiping with a warm cloth doesn't seem to work at all.

Thanks to anyone who replies,

PNG

Dhoby Dust and a pussers scrubbing brush was all we used in my day and it worked.
 
I knew a three badge AB watch keeper who painted his lid with brilliant white gloss paint. Worked great espeacially when it was pissing down. 8)
 
USE TOOTH PASTE OR SHAVING FOAM. I PREFER SHAVING FOAM. JUST PUT A SHIT LOAD ON AND LEAVE IT FOR 10 MINS AND WIPE OFF. TIP - REMOVE THE CAP TALLY AS IT STAINS THE TALLY....HOPE THIS WILL HELP :)
 
RNFLUNKY said:
USE TOOTH PASTE OR SHAVING FOAM. I PREFER SHAVING FOAM. JUST PUT A SHIT LOAD ON AND LEAVE IT FOR 10 MINS AND WIPE OFF. TIP - REMOVE THE CAP TALLY AS IT STAINS THE TALLY....HOPE THIS WILL HELP :)

Stop shouting shippers
 
fishmiester said:
Tip
For a really pukka tight cap tally hold your cap (with tally on - tied with nice bow) over a steaming kettle and rotate through the steam. The tally will shrink to your cap before your very eyes.

PUKKA

Use a steam iron shipmate, easier to get hold of in a messdeck!
 
If you go for the shoe whitening stuff make double shoore it will stay on. When i was on the Bulwark i had a real sailors hat(the back and front almost met int the middle), i was cleaning the cap for divisions and used the whitener i used on my tropical shoes. Half way through Divs. on the flight deck it started to rain and the whitener washed off all over my no. 1 uniform, got done for that and the state of my cap. I stuck to soap, water and a nail brush after that
 
I always used to use toothpaste , as long as you rinse it well you should'nt have a problem , go'ing back to the early 70s mind ,
 
Lamri said:
fishmiester said:
Tip
For a really pukka tight cap tally hold your cap (with tally on - tied with nice bow) over a steaming kettle and rotate through the steam. The tally will shrink to your cap before your very eyes.

PUKKA

Use a steam iron shipmate, easier to get hold of in a messdeck!

The new silks - which aren't even silk (defence cuts, natch!) - don't shrink in steam, and therefore will not tighten unless your bow is done properly to start with. I suggest doing a double overhand knot before you start your 'shoelace' knot and tease and tweak it accordingly.

I also found that if you tie it with your cap upside down (i.e. the top towards you) the bow will finish better. Apart from the pension the only thing I'm looking forward to when I get my rate will be that I'll not have to tie a feckin' cap tally again!! :twisted:
 
persona_non_grata said:
Hello all,

Just wondering if anybody has any good tips/methods for cleaning issue plastic caps as wiping with a warm cloth doesn't seem to work at all.

Thanks to anyone who replies,

PNG

DONT USE WHITE SHOE POLISH (the sponge type thing)

Some idiots used it for a November ceromonies back in '98 and it rained, oh dear. Looked like a squadron on seagulls had flown over. Proper funny though
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top