How to go about cleaning Caps, Plastic?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by persona_non_grata, Nov 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

Just wondering if anybody has any good tips/methods for cleaning issue plastic caps as wiping with a warm cloth doesn't seem to work at all.

Thanks to anyone who replies,

PNG

2. We used to use toothpaste.Works quite well.Also Tippex fir those wee sopts you cant get rid of.Dint get the toothpaste on the cap band though its a sod to get off!

3. What you need is a bar of Vanish soap.

Dip the bar of soap in warm water, rub on to cap, rinse off. It will come up sparkling white, be careful not to get any soap residue on to your cap tally though. (Good idea to remove the cap tally when cleaning to avoid this.)

4. no no not toothpaste! It goes horrible in the rain! ;)

5. Get a nail scrubbing brush and use ordinary soap --scrub the cap then rinse it off and dry it . Don't use detergent cos it will end up going yellow eventually.

Though all your kit was return and get a new one anyway

6. Thanks for your replies, I didn't really expect any so quickly, I'll give 'em all a go.

To anyone else: Any extra input is welcome.

8. When said tooth paste i meant the old fashioned powder kind not the modern paste stuff.I think it was called Eucryl.

9. Dhobi dust water and a nail brush always worked for me.

10. Always used a nail scrubbing brush and normal soap. Top it off we used white shoe whitner stuff, but make sure it's good water proof stuff and that it dries before the rain! Keep it clean, I brough a shower cap and placed my cap in there until I wore it.

11. Jenny's advice sounds very sensible... just remember to remove the shower cap before you don your lid! :wink: If you forget, please send me a photo of the parade...

12. Always remember to take the cap tally off prior to any cleaning evolution.

Tip
    For a really pukka tight cap tally hold your cap (with tally on - tied with nice bow) over a steaming kettle and rotate through the steam. The tally will shrink to your cap before your very eyes.

PUKKA

13. You have to hold on to the button on the kettle to keep it boiling (and so producing steam) don't you? Because they switch off immediately on reaching boiling point.

14. One of the best tips I've heard was to spray some 'whiteboard' cleaner on to the cap and rub off with blue paper towels.

15. I see you don't use a gas stove Dunkers! Also the old electric kettles didn't have the automatic cut out - but we are going back a few years here, probably to when you mother was a child! :lol:

16. Pussers hard and nail brush.

17. Dhoby Dust and a pussers scrubbing brush was all we used in my day and it worked.

18. I knew a three badge AB watch keeper who painted his lid with brilliant white gloss paint. Worked great espeacially when it was pissing down. 8)

19. pretty much all of the above (apart from the paint???) and baking soda and a nail brush

20. USE TOOTH PASTE OR SHAVING FOAM. I PREFER SHAVING FOAM. JUST PUT A SHIT LOAD ON AND LEAVE IT FOR 10 MINS AND WIPE OFF. TIP - REMOVE THE CAP TALLY AS IT STAINS THE TALLY....HOPE THIS WILL HELP :)