How to Become a 'Textbook Janner', The Definitive Guide

lsadirty

War Hero
trelawney126 said:
Was up there last week, sadly the only constant was the Scott memorial and the unspoilt view. All looking sadly neglected around FOP house. It saddens me everytime I visit and something else has gone. Did you ever fall into Ma Boots cellar? She had a mat and a table covering the hole in the floor. I suppose that the Elf & Safety would have closed it by now. Duty Watch at South Yard was always a pleasure! :D

Haven't been to that part of Devonport in years - I believe all the flats and maisonettes in Clowance St and Pembroke St have gone and replaced by single unit housing - we used to call this area "Chine Town", handed down from my parents generation and previous.
Ma Boots was my local while I was a VM when I came back south in '72, old Sid Pomeroy who had the Lord Hood was running it then. It was later totally refurbished, and scrumpy was banned when it became the Lugger. I believe it's been renamed again.
Like you, I don't go down there anymore, nothing left except memories of the better old days.

Bergen

ADC
lsadirty said:
dollygee said:
Does anyone know what a jagger is? Iseem to remember that one of the verses of " cor bugger janner", ended with "cor bugger jagger".

Was always led to believe a jagger was a Cornishman.

A Janner is from Deb'n but if you cross the Tamar into Cornwall then there are no Janners but you do find Jackers [Cuz'n Jack]

RM

X.R.D

War Hero
Bergen said:
lsadirty said:
dollygee said:
Does anyone know what a jagger is? Iseem to remember that one of the verses of " cor bugger janner", ended with "cor bugger jagger".

Was always led to believe a jagger was a Cornishman.

A Janner is from Deb'n but if you cross the Tamar into Cornwall then there are no Janners but you do find Jackers [Cuz'n Jack]

RM

I bet they love your accent over in Texarse Bergs. I recently bumped into a distant cousin of mine who works out of Houston in the oil industry who had the fcuking weirdest accent i've ever heard. A cross between South American, American and Cockenay!! :D

Perhaps you might know him?? 8O

As my adoptive dad's people were from Jannerland (Plymouth) I contest all these aspersions about Janners!

JANNERS RULE OIK EY!

:oops:

Not sure where my Honorary Sea Dad's people came from. C'mon UA, spill the beanzzzz

lsadirty

War Hero
Bergen said:
Isadirty - And old Mr. Slee was your Debnport butcher??

The very same, in Marlborough Street. One of his relatives worked in there part time - he was one of the science masters at St Bonifaces ! I think they had another shop down Cumberland Gardens ?

Bergen

ADC
And another shop on Fore Street in Torpoint and a brother who was a vet in Plymouth.

World traveller - I've been to Muckle Flugga :salute:

RM

Latest Threads