Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to attending boyfriends passing out ceremony

Surfer55

Midshipman
My Boyfriend is due to pass out of Raleigh in early December
However I'm worried that he won't be able to invite me over any of his family members as we haven't been going out that long and I don't want to put pressure on him to pick me over them

So my question is, is there a way I can attend without his knowledge so that he will be surprised that I'm there and then we can share this special moment together without him upsetting any of his family members

I'm immeasurably proud of him but it's killing me that I might not be able to share his success and show him just how proud I am

Thank you for any help or advice you can offer

Polto

War Hero
Although Dapperdun is of course correct as you have to be on a guest list, I don't know if there's any reason why he wouldnt be able to invite you. I dont think relationships are 'means tested' as regards to duration etc. Assuming you have some form of contact with him maybe drop a couple of hints and let him know how you feel - it might serve to keep him on his toes whilst he lurches towards the conclusion of Phase One...maybe...!

Drakey

War Hero
There is no limit to the amount of people that can be invited to a passing out parade. It is not limited to just family. However, if you are not on the list at the main gate you might find it difficult to gain access.

adqual

Badgeman
I think the point is that it is a surprise,therefore as has been said, he would have to notify staff of who is coming on the day,he wouldn't know surfer is arriving,green man/woman on gate wouldn't let her in as not on list,that's how it used to work,to stop unwanted guests arriving not saying surfer is unwanted.

Surfer55

Midshipman
Ok thanks all good advice, the other problem I have is that he's terrified of his parents finding out about me......
If I was on his guest list would he's other guests know I was there?

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Ok thanks all good advice, the other problem I have is that he's terrified of his parents finding out about me......
If I was on his guest list would he's other guests know I was there?
No, but you would be likely to bump into them, unless you go incognito :)

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Why doesn't he want you to meet them, you are going to find it difficult not to be seen by the parents/family at the passing in day.

Surfer55

Midshipman
They can see me, they don't know who i am

He hasn't told his family because of my gender
He's not confident enough yet to tell them yet

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
They can see me, they don't know who i am

He hasn't told his family because of my gender
He's not confident enough yet to tell them yet
The only problem will be that you're not to walk around willy nilly:)
As long as you aren't holding hands, then you'd think his family will think that you are someone else's guest.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
If your boyfriends family aren't aware of his, er, "preferences", it may be an idea to step back on this one.

If they aren't aware and find out on the day, the fallout could be quite dramatic, to say the least!!

Pvivax

Badgeman
Option 1 - Do nothing

Option 2 - Get your boyfriend to include you on the list and go incognito - bear in mind you will both have a miserable time "avoiding" each other and his family may well notice - if they find out on the day , as Wrecker says ,than things may turn unpleasant for everybody present.

Option 3 He 'fesses up to his family - they will either accept it in which case everyone is happy or they will not and not attend the Passing Out Parade - but you can - will you be happy ,will he?

I think the ball is very much in your boyfriend's court. If I recall correctly the names will have to be given to HMS Raleigh fairly soon so he had better decide what to do sharpish.

Surfer55

Midshipman
Yeah these are all things I need to think about and try discuss with him

Everyone else knows apart from his parents

Thank you for all the advice though

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Info Ops solution:

As all his class know, get one of the girls in his class to put you on her list. You can then attend "incognito", avoiding both groups.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS UK officials will stop attending most EU meetings from 1 September MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM attending Eastern Partnership summit: 23 November 2017 MoD News 0
B Who's attending HMS COLLINGWOOD in December? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
soleil Ian Visits: "Attending The Ceremony Of The Constable's Dues" The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS Parole Board statement on passing of Helen's Law MoD News 0
C Chances of passing my medical?: previous mental health Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Want to join, but worried about a prescription and passing medical? Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS News story: Alert for charities operating in Syria or Turkey about aid passing through the Bab Al-Hawa crossing MoD News 0
T Passing Out Parade Video Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 10
K Will debt stop me from passing the security clearance? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Repulse Passing out in 1911 History 1
A Are the group photos when passing out of Raleigh, mandatory? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 83
B HMS Raleigh summer break and passing out dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
T Passing out parades Blogs 5
H Any idea for PRNC dates after passing fitness test? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
PedlarP Passing of CPO1 Shane Irvine Submariners 0
L BRNC Passing out Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
D passing out parade Nearest & Dearest 5
H Ready to start training on 3rd Oct 2015 after passing all medicals fitness etc but had a call 3 week Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
J Phase 2 passing out HMS Sultan. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
J Passing out parades. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
R RFA Passing-out parade??? RFA 25
G Passing out parade Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
A Questions Passing out dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Chegz my boys passing out parade.... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 62
soleil Herald: "Dentist Takes Charge Of Passing Out Parade" Bases / Shore Est 0
C Passing PRMC/POC, and not being offered a place. The Corps 0
X Raleigh passing out parade Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Rumrat Where have all the milkmen gone (long time passing) Diamond Lil's 35
MoD_RSS Princess Royal attends naval cadets' passing out parade MoD News 1
R Passing out Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
S Sultan Phase 2 Passing Out Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S Would this stop me from passing the medical? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Rumrat Just passing through Diamond Lil's 23
S Passing Out/Phase 2 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
S Raleigh Passing Out Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
soleil Zoidberg: Success In His QX And Passing Out Shortly The Fleet Air Arm 34
N Passing the time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
Patrick HMS Raleigh Passing Out Parade The Quarterdeck 22
soleil Radio 4 Today Programme: "The Passing Of The RN Tot" History 3
LeTache88 The Day After Passing Out Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
jesse The passing of Lionel Jefferes Burma Star Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
B estimated time from passing PJFT and interview for AET? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
G Raleigh/passing out parade ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Passing Out Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
B Passing Out Parade Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
R Passing Out. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35
S Any1 goin to Passing out @ Raleigh on the 2nd? Social & Reunions 72
scouse New Build Ships Passing FOST/ORI?? The Fleet 1
N Passing out query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6