How similar is the royal navy entrance test example to the real thing? (Also need Help)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by MrIndeed, Mar 13, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I remember reading a thread by Ninja_Stoker on, how to pass the recruitment test, stating the example test ->"http://c69011.r11.cf3.rackcdn.com/d63bb0c11bd843a88d30a3df326d5a00-0x0.pdf" is similar to the real royal navy recruitment test but how similar? Will questions be very similar?

Also, I have a series of questions, all relating to the Mechanical Comprehension Test, which I tried to search up the answers but couldn't find examples, I was wondering if I could get some help here:
    (You see, I spent 10 quid on a book called 'Armed Forces Tests')

"If cog b makes 21 revolutions how many will cog a make?" (How did you get the answer?)
    A - 7
    B - 14
    C - 21
    D - 28
    E - 42

"Approximately how much force is required in order to lift the load of 60kg?"

A - 100 kg
    B - 50 kb
    C - 25kg
    D - 30kg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  2. Well, I'm guessing here, but if there is a simple picture of the cogs, just count the teeth on cog b and multiply by 21. Then divide by the number of teeth on cog a. Simples. Or see how far cog b moves cog a in one full revolution and work from there.

I'm assuming the next question is related to the other one. To answer it requires the answer to the previous question.

3. The example sheet I believe was good in a way that it gives you an accurate insight if what type of questions you will have to answer e.g mechanical comprehension, etc. However difficulty wise on the example sheet it was not the same as the actual test I found was much harder. Before hand I did search the internet for more challenging questions whilst making sure they were similar to the given examples from the example booklet. That really helped me pass the psychometric test.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The RN practice test booklet consists of questions extracted from all three test versions with changed values, but the real test has many more questions (120) and just 44 minutes to complete.

Most people drip like ten stating the practice test book is nowhere near as hard as the real test. The reason is simply because they don't follow the instructions and practice against the clock. You should only take about 20 secs per question, 30 secs each in the maths section.

I'd advise all applicants practice free online psychometric tests ...against the clock.

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

But is it similar?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Was I right about the cogs?

7. I found the test booklet useful to go on and find more material based on those questions. Some of the questions were straightforward question/answer type, as in there could only be one solution to the question, some of the questions I found a little more abstract, the type that are more about general comprehension and understanding of a subject rather than hard and fast facts/figures. If you look up logic/reasoning tests and also information about basic physics rules and concepts you won't go far wrong. As for maths I think you either get it or you don't, English is a lot of 'Dan is taller than mike... who is shorter' that kind of thing. Concentrate on revising on the style of questions in the booklet and you'll be fine.

8. * there could only be one solution to the question (sorry that was a bit miss - leading all the questions are multiple choice just some of the answers more obvious than others).

9. P.s for the force question 60kg would be referring to the downward force of gravity on the load (since without gravity there would be no weight) so the upward force needed to lift said load would need to exceed the downward force of load/object. Being as 100kg is the only option greater than 60kg I'd go for that one.

10. Did you do the entrance test example because you stated loads of useless information which could probably save me!

Three things:
    You stated people found the exam easy because they don't follow the instructions and practice. Is that a good thing? Should I practice against the clock?

Also you didn't answer my question which was:

Is the practice booklet given by the royal navy 'http://c69011.r11.cf3.rackcdn.com/d63bb0c11bd843a88d30a3df326d5a00-0x0.pdf'

similar to the real thing? If so, how similar is it?

Finally, all past exams can be assessed on-line. I tried to search up past papers for the exam but couldn't any.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. will I fail the recruitment test?

Hello guys,

I been revising and practicing all weekend for my recruitment test, which is on Tuesday at Kings Cross.

When testing myself against the clock I found I usually have about 5 minutes left to go which I guess is good. Also, I usually find that im tried and a bit dizzy when completing a section.

Based on this website I which I found handy and does compare a lot to the practice booklet given to you by the navy 'http://bootneckblueprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Royal-Navt-Recruitment-Test-Sample-Questions-V1.1.pdf' "which I highly recommend you check out", I did amazing on the verbal, reasoning, and did good on the maths section (im almost 16 so its surprise I did well since im still in secondary) but did really really bad on the mechanical comprehension section. I did do a few mistakes which cost me 3 marks but overall mark was 9 out of 20.
    Will I fail?

12. Don't over think and stress your self out. Just practise and revise what you got wrong. Also there may be other forums you can post this on. :)

13. Question: "Also you didn't answer my question which was:

Is the practice booklet given by the royal navy 'http://c69011.r11.cf3.rackcdn.com/d63bb0c11bd843a88d30a3df326d5a00-0x0.pdf'

similar to the real thing? If so, how similar is it?"

Answer: "The RN practice test booklet consists of questions extracted from all three test versions with changed values"

How's the English going?

• Like Like x 4
  14. Ninja_Stoker

You do realise we have compulsory drugs tests?

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. "Did you do the entrance test example because you stated loads of useless information which could probably save me!" ... yes, not only did I do the entrance test example, but like many others I also did the actual Recruit Test, and passed. If you were unable to garner any useful information from my attempts to assist then my sincere apologies for wasting your time. Wishing you the very BEST of luck, and please do let us know how you get on.

16. Hi mate,i know exactly where you're coming from.There's a very good book that helped me get through the test.
    It goes as far as explaining the concept behind each question type.(mechanics)

It's too large to be uploaded here so if you have an email address i could send it to you?

17. Ninja_Stoker

I think the OP is busy snorting something, mucker.

Thread merged.

18. I think the OP needs to be merged.

• Like Like x 1