How reliable are the RN recruitment team?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Volvic, Jun 26, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone have any idea as to how accurate the information is of what the RN recruitment team give out? I spoke to them yesterday and asked them about wait times and they said I could expect to receive a start date within 6 - 9 months of applying for the job that I want. (CIS), but other people that I've spoke to seem to agree that this is an unrealistic expectation and that the reality is it could be more like 18 months or more...

Would like some advice or whatever as I'm currently 18 and don't really want to be waiting around for ages or starting training when I'm something like 21...

Thanks

2. Join the Royal Navy and the first thing youll find out is that "waiting" is a favourite hobby followed by some intence "not enough time"

If you really want a life in the RN I guess you would be prepared to wait.

Over to Ninja and co to answer your question .

3. That is an attitude of an organisation that treats people as a "liability", and is currently losing them hand over fist.....

• Like Like x 5
  4. I'm prepared to wait for as long as the process takes but the thought of being in the recruitment process for potentially two years or so is a little discouraging as I'm already 18 now..

Thanks for the reply. :)

5. 18 is so old, they say they recruit up to the age of 36 but 18...you'll be the grandad of the group. Can't get over how old you are, good that you can still use a computer alright at that hefty age :p

• Like Like x 4
  6. Frankly it's a load of shite. You can't expect people to wait 2 years for a 13 grand a year job.

Join the RNR instead, their waiting time is really short.

Oh wait........

• Like Like x 4
  7. Volvic,

if the navy is what you want, then you better get used to the waiting! I have been in the recruitment process for almost a year and have yet to receive a start date (applied for ETWE) But how long you wait will depend on how quickly you get through everything, your AFCO will be able to give you better idea of when you can expect to start depending on where you are in your application.

And as for your age... as rachelthree said, 18yrs old you will definitely be the grandad. I'm 24 so fully expect to be hobbling out of raleigh on a zimmer frame.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'm going to end up looking like Prince Phillip by the time I get to Raleigh at this rate. :(

Probably.

I guess judging from what I'm reading the best thing is to start the application process ASAP and find something else to do for two years. hmm.

• Like Like x 1
  9. from my experience of the whole process, that is the ideal thing to do. The time will pass anyway; its better if you have a decent career lined up!

10. The navy will let you wait, but once in everything has to be done 'Yesterday'. Anyway, you may be fortunate to have a response from Ninja. I'd sign on for a night class in flower arranging while you're waiting. :happy1:

11. The difference between applying for the navy and actually joining is vast. Anyone can apply but not everyone is successful and join. There are many reasons why this can happen. Volvic, you need to slown down to a gallop..

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Quick Answer:

CIS is currently about 8 or 9 months test to entry. This changes monthly.

It depends when you actually apply, hence the variance in announced times. Until you apply, it's anyone's guess and even the Pope would be hard pushed to give an accurate estimate, may his name be praised. Whichever one it is, nowadays.

This estimate assumes:

• There are no unforeseen "hold-ups" with your selection and you apply today
    • There is not an increased exodus of trained CIS ratings or an increase/decrease of recruiting targets or a change in priorities
    • There is not a fluctuation in the number of applicants for your branch
    • No Financial Retention Incentive (FRI) is introduced to stem the outflow in your chosen branch and reduce numbers required
    • At the point of application, after completing selection, there are no applicants who withdraw at "short notice" and enable the allocation of a faster start date
    • You pass selection

Chapter & Verse

To put it all into perspective, it is in no-one's interest to delay anyone joining the Armed Forces, the faster they join the better for all. No-one disputes this blindingly obvious fact.

For one, it means the applicant is less likely to "fall off the hook".

Those that work in the Naval Careers Service are recruited, selected, and trained by a separate organisation (Flag Officer Sea Training [FOST]), who determine selection policy and method of process. FOST basically audit the "reliability" or efficiency of the RN Recruitment Team. Recently the Recruiting Field Force was reduced by 25% to increase efficiency.

The thorny issue of "waiting times" is governed by several factors, but in simplistic terms the Royal Navy is not a bottomless pit of job vacancies in all branches. Under-subscribed branches can be joined in a couple of months, over-subscribed branches a couple of years. There are more students attending Manchester Metropolitan University (one of about 134 UK Universities) than there are personnel in the entire Royal Navy and Royal Marines and respective Reserves.

Very often those leaving the service & wishing to rejoin assume the service will be falling-over themselves to take them back, but this isn't always the case. Re-joiners very often come with significant baggage, they certainly have history & how much of it is of use needs to be investigated. Those that leave have already demonstrated dissatisfaction with their employment or from their employer. God's gift, they ain't always.

In simplistic terms for one person to join, one person has to leave. Trouble is, we can't always predict when that person on an 18 year contract will choose to leave and there are 30,000+ similarly placed.

For full time posts there are two established methods of recruiting currently used, usually based on volume of jobs to be filled.

• Merit Based Selection (MBS), where we only take the very best of those passing all selection elements and "open and close" branches to recruiting as specific vacancies arise. (The RFA, RN & RM Officers & the RAF use this method).
    • First Past the Post (FPP) Selection, where we allocate jobs to everyone passing all selection elements in date-order, regardless of merit or availability of vacancies in relation to the number of applicants. (The bulk of Ratings are selected this way).

Each system has it's downsides.

For MB, if you miss the window of opportunity or aren't a particularly strong candidate, you've dipped-out unless there are more jobs than applicants. Someone passing after you, but achieving better results, gets the job ahead of you if there are more applicants than jobs.

For FPP, everyone gets a chance of a job if they pass selection but if there are more people than jobs available they they aren't going to be paid a wage if there isn't a training place and a job at the end of it.

To answer: "How reliable are the RN Recruitment Team?" ...

You'd probably think me biased, but my opinion is that after 33 years service, 11 of them in recruiting, I consider myself reasonably reliable but obviously I cannot vouch for every single member of the team.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 4
  13. 18yr old was the youngest age at Raleigh in my class this year. Our class was mainly made up of people well into their 20's......