How old are meeeee dolphins.

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Permissionopenmuzzledoor, Jul 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I picked up a pair of older dolphins last week, instead of the push pin we have now it was a butterfly kind of clip on the back. Now I am a baby and got me dolphins in 1990, when did the fastener change any idea?
    I am sure they were not around the last 17 years. There again, the memory does start to wain lol
  2. Got mine in 76 and they were a butterfly clip.still have them somewhere.
  3. Hi,
    Have a job remembering but I got my dolphins in 1968 mine are a two buterfly clips which push on to two pins at the back. :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:
  4. Des

They can't be RN ones cos they were not issued until 1971 maybe RAN if you were SM4 or SM7 or Canadian ones.

I have taken a picture of my origional old ones issued 1971 which clearly shows the nomal brooch hinged pin which fits into a retaining clip after being poked thru your uniform.

I could not get this picture to load normally so if you click on "Clip" below you can see the dolphins. The pin swings down and goes under the clip back left of dolphins.

5. Hi Nutty,
    Mine are definately two pins you push through your uniform and then push two fixings on that you have to press the butterfly ends to open they then grip on the two pins. Mine are definately not like yours.

7. Then they are not RN issue did you get them in Halifax, Sydney or Singas. What boat were you on at the time stationed where?????
  8. Hi Nutty,
    Walrus 1969 to 1973 Joined it in refit in Guz just had a look through my discharge papers so it was some time 1969 1970 I got them not 1968 doesn't time fly. :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:
  9. Identical closing mechanism as mine, issued to me at the end of Repulse's 69/70 Christmas patrol by Captain "Barney" Whetstone, who had just picked up his fourth ring at sea. He left the boat after that trip and I didn't see him again for years. I wonder where he is now.
  10. Mine were the same as Nutty describes, with the brooch style pin. I think I got mine in about 1967 whilst on Cachalot.
  11. What about the cloth embrioderd ones for sewing on to your Nos 8`s above your name tally in the late 80`s in SM2. Wore em for a couple of years in Dolphin untill I went up the main gate when I was finaly told they were not official and to get them off!!
  12. Thanks guys 1980-90 i will guess, see they people are wearing them with No3's these days..........nice
  13. Hi Lujon

If that is Tony Whetstone you are on about (left as a Rear Admiral), he is now retired but is Honarary Vice President of the Submariners Association.
  14. Hi Nutty,
    Have taken a pic last night need a few tips on how to place it in hear you can e-mail me if you wish?
    Des. :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:
  15. If original, they should have a clip as described on the back.
    The press stud ones came later.
    Please get to grips with posting a picture though!!! :afro:
  16. We are not all IT wiz kids Bill, have a job finding my way round the key board!! :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:

17. Sorry my photobucket account no longer seems to want to share my pictures so have used the C in C 's account on Yahoo to get this pic back on.

18. Thank you for that. Being the only member of the Lujon Submariners Association (non-affiliated) one does get a little out of touch. I had a look at your www link and was very upset to see that JK (Buster) Brown had shuffled off. He and I joined boats together in 1969, we were both REMs then. There were two other greeenies on the same conscription, Mick Adams, and Bob Beach. We all ended up at RNPS on the baby Nav :queen: Queens course. Happy days!
  19. I had one of the first issue and they certainly had the broach type pin on the back, can't provide a photo though as my ex nicked them.
  20. Same here Kidda, swapped mine for a leg over in Florida :thumright: