Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How often do boats come into port?

Mike777

Badgeman
A million and one questions, I know, sorry.
A lot of people have been telling me that submarines very rarely come into port for visits, compared with surface ships.
I was wondering how often they actually do stop?

trelawney126

War Hero
A million and one questions, I know, sorry.
A lot of people have been telling me that submarines very rarely come into port for visits, compared with surface ships.
I was wondering how often they actually do stop?

Probably when they're alongside and the engines shut down

Topstop

War Hero
As little as half an hour, Naples to drop a Septic Admiral off, didnt get a run a shore.

Several weeks in Gib, day running. lots of runs ashore, some times got left behind if wasnt required

All depends on service requirements.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Not as many runs ashore as skimmers but better ones (put up in hotels etc). How often? Depends what your doing and where you are but no runs ashore on bombers.

Topstop

War Hero
Not as many runs ashore as skimmers but better ones (put up in hotels etc). How often? Depends what your doing and where you are but no runs ashore on bombers.

Cocoa Beach? once in a blue moon. Cyprus Guard boat on off crew if you`re lucky.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
As little as half an hour, Naples to drop a Septic Admiral off, didnt get a run a shore.

Several weeks in Gib, day running. lots of runs ashore, some times got left behind if wasnt required

Almost wot he said:

As little as half an hour, Naples to pick up two Septic 'other language speakers', didnt get a run a shore.

Several weeks in Scottish Highlands (BUTEC), Gib, USA, Falklands (NOT the Malvinas!!) lots of runs ashore, some times got left behind if wasn't required, both when day running and 5th watch.

Polto

War Hero
Pretty much subs suck for any fun time.... hotels?? really??..
Really. Hotels. I've had lots. When on a jolly, only the duty watch remain on board. The remainder are accommodated elsewhere...which is ordinarily an hotel. Perhaps you need to do your research a bit more thoroughly before posting about something you clearly know little about Earlychop.

In reply to the OP, skimmers get more visits than submariners, bomber queens get even less. But there is no 'average' as such...it just depends on what the programme is.

Last edited:

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Shush Polto! Keep schtum about the hotels AND the subbies that we also got as well.............

Huh, imagine going to Gib, staying in The Rock, or Bristol or Cally Pally AND being given a wedge of spends - it would never happen.............

EarlyChop

War Hero
Just trying to rile up a few sun dodgers.... easy enough.

Seems whenever they talk about the best part about being SM, Hotels!! always get a mention.

Then again if my job involved being trapped up in a stinking metal tub with nothing to see and sleeping in someone else sweat, I'd want a ******* 4* to tide me over occasionally.

Trolololololol.

images.jpeg

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Using your vast submarine seagoing experience there Earlychop.....................oh it was all a bite, how silly of me :blah5::tool:

Polto

War Hero
Just trying to rile up a few sun dodgers.... easy enough.

Seems whenever they talk about the best part about being SM, Hotels!! always get a mention.

Then again if my job involved being trapped up in a stinking metal tub with nothing to see and sleeping in someone else sweat, I'd want a ******* 4* to tide me over occasionally.
/QUOTE]
You really are quite the loser. Nomination for cotw perhaps. When do you expect to get to Sultan trol boy? There are one or two peeps I know in Stephenson hangar...and over at Newcomen...

EarlyChop

War Hero
And those gentlemen are going to give me the old one-two? or perhaps a little rubber necking?... tell me do they get all bent out of shape when someone gives a little tickle-in-jest too?

I just can't wait to meet them... will they be my instructors?

Ryan79

Midshipman
And those gentlemen are going to give me the old one-two? or perhaps a little rubber necking?... tell me do they get all bent out of shape when someone gives a little tickle-in-jest too?

I just can't wait to meet them... will they be my instructors?

Got to make it to Sultan first, good luck:laughing3:

Topstop

War Hero
I do......................

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G How often do the AIB interviews take place? Joining the Royal Navy 5
OsmiumOxide How often do/could you get deployed. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
D how often do you get to shoot? Joining the Royal Navy 26
3 Ringing AFCO - how often? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Fletchrfc How often do submarines stop at ports during a 6 month tour? Submariners 49
R How often do you go to the gym? Health & Fitness 1
F How Often Is Deployment? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L How often do you deploy or get mobilised in the RNR? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 39
L How often are you away with the RNR? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
soleil Telegraph: "Let Down By Their Countrymen: How Our Forces Often Feel Unappreciated" Current Affairs 51
N how often does the royal navy give out starting dates? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
S How often do the waiting times get updated? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W how often do they recruit etme submariners Blogs 5
Z How often do the RAF train fast jet pilots, because.... The Quarterdeck 19
Bergen Encouraging Men To Wash Their Hands More Often Diamond Lil's 9
MoD_RSS Defra seeks views on expanding use of monitoring technology on fishing boats MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Unmanned 'spy' boats...... Current Affairs 15
MoD_RSS First boats set to pass through the new Boston Barrier MoD News 0
W Boats or Ships Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
soleil The Maritime Executive: "How the Royal Navy Searches Boats for Narcotics" The Fleet 6
MoD_RSS Britain and France to strengthen joint action against small boats MoD News 0
janner Collins Class Boats Submariners 1
MoD_RSS Smart boats could revolutionise UK fishing and seafood industries MoD News 0
Wee-lad Stay on the merchant path or go boats Joining the Royal Navy 7
Ageing_Gracefully Real Big Boats Diamond Lil's 4
B Choice of boats Submariners 28
Tui Bird Noisy submerged diesel boats Submariners 10
J GS or Boats. Newbie question from an older guy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
soleil Press & Journal: "Royal Navy Patrol Boats In Tour Of The North" SCC and URNU 0
janner Canadian U Boats. Submariners 7
skyvet A tribute to Astute boats Submariners 10
janner A Boats Submariners 1
eto89 Tide Boats - SE/ME RFA 7
janner Name these Boats Diamond Lil's 16
janner Wooden Boats Diamond Lil's 20
F Boats question ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
J A boats. Submariners 8
B A good time to join boats? Submariners 10
P Been offered ETWE Boats... Need advice! Submariners 22
SONAR-BENDER Lack of Faceache on boats! Submariners 11
bargee1937 Ships Boats of the 1930's and 1940's? History 10
P SIFT interview ship,boats,vessels crib sheets Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
slim Better Than boats in yer Bathtub. Current Affairs 4
Joint_Force_Harrier Woo's On Boats The Fleet Air Arm 14
fishhead The World's Top 10 Diesel Boats Submariners 4
T Lb Dems are alone: Labours new Shadow Defence Secretary say four boats will stay Current Affairs 0
BONNACON Ships boats where are they now? History 11
C Flying boats Current Affairs 13
soleil The Sun: "Pirates On The Rocks - Navy Sinks 17 Boats In Sea Bandit War" The Fleet 2
trelawney126 Nuclear Fuel for boats and Trident production suspended Submariners 0