How not to use a 10" light....

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by FlagWagger, Nov 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

... aka HRH POW seeking illumination.

2. Maybe he thought it was an illuminated vanity mirror and was trying to shave using his radio handset cum electric razor? ;)
  3. Oh dear Charlie boy, not your best PR picture is it.

I heard Thingy is very good at handling 10 inchers? :)
  4. Here is the truth for those who can handle it. :p The photo was taken on board HMS Bronington. HRH is standing on the narrow ledge by the port bridge wing compass repeat and is leaning outboard while looking aft. He is probably giving conning orders while manoeuvring to recover a buoy or an exercise mine and is hanging on to the forward-pointing 10" for dear life in order to avoid being pitched on to the deck or over the side. By way of illustration, this gives me a fine excuse to show a photo of Bronington's sister ship Gavinton, then commanded by Lt Cdr N A 'Bernie' Bruen MBE DSC RN.
    HMS Gavinton leaving Gibraltar to pay off at Rosyth in 1986[/align]
  5. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Here's a little tip for anyone who finds themselves on the confined bridge of a Ton-class MCMV - if you're hanging on for dear life try grabbing hold of something fixed and immovable rather than the part of the lamp that moves up and down to let the messages out! :)
  6. This is a caption competition picture and he's saying 'I wonder if this works'

And if you apply it to todays navy, then it is a true caption.
  7. NG, I think we all fully understand what he was 'actually' doing, but why let the truth get in the way of a darn good dit eh? :)
  8. Sorry, I thought the 10" thing was his binoculars.... now I realise as an HRH, it's armour plated! :lol:
  9. 1. Some people on here have difficulty understanding anything. :)

2. I wanted an excuse to share the photo of Gavvy. 8)

3. If you want a caption, how about: "I SAY AGAIN. REPEAT ALL AFTER IMMEDIATE EXECUTE." :wink:
  10. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Or how about "Flag Oscar at the dip.... wait for it, wait for it.... you can now go close up, the man overboard's hit the water!"
  11. I have to say chaps, as an ex Sparker who spent quite a bit of time onboard 'Tons', neither 10" looks particularly 'tiddly"!
  12. Flag Oscar?

Once (perchance still??) known at HMS COLLINGWOOD as the 'Burberry Flag':

If Oscar was flying then Burberries MUST be worn. If NOT flying, Burberries MUST be carried, folded over the left arm, people were known to be trooped for getting it wrong....

Rain? Rain? That rarely figured in the equation, but I always imagined those in the Fleet at Sea hastily donning their Burberries whenever some poor soul went Overboard. :roll:
  13. .......though to be fair to Gavinton's Bunting, in 1986 it was post Falklands and most "tiddly" bits 'n' pieces were by then banned on pussers war canoes!
  14. Pah! Ton class, small ships, not a bit of it.
    This is a small ship:
    And not a flashing light in sight, well we had one but it broke!
  15. Ithink I did my weeks sea time at Ganges on one of them can't remember much too feckin seasickgoing from Ipswich to Dover, once alongside I was duty messman for the wardroom and senior rates - did the dhobying after their dinner on the oen bridge (in a pussers bucket) put the plates and dishes away then threw the contents of the bucket over the side along with all the fecking cuttlery. Got a well good kicking for that one.
  16. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

On the MSFs in MCM10 days, all washing-up was done in pussers' buckets, and yes the contents were sometimes thrown directly overboard - I know of a baby RO who when told to chuck the bucket overboard, did just that - bucket and contents straight into the oggin!

"Twinkle, twinkle little spoon; Knife and fork to follow soon" - one of the alternative nursery rhymes taught to me by my dad from his RN days (along with such classics as "Little boy blue come blow your trumpet, if the sheep don't lijke it, they can fukcing well lump it"!) :)
  17. Bridge - Flagdeck - fcuking bulbs gone.
  18. Am I talking to myself?