how much xmas leave while at raleigh?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ROFLMAN, Aug 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. if you join raleigh towards the xmas period, how much leave do you get?

2. 21st to 6th i think

3. Do you want to join the Andrew or go on holiday? Does it matter? Have you read through the Newbie threads? :threaten:

4. That is hig speak means "welcome to the site" btw!

5. lol Yeah don't mind Hig.

That response meant he was in a good mood. You don't want to see what comment he'd have put, had he been in a bad mood!

And in a way he's right mate, Basic is all you should be worried about as it's one of the most important things you'll ever do!

:thumright:

6. To be honest, it's better to hope for a joining date that won't be interfered with a holiday. Last thing you wanna do is go home, stuff your face full of food and booze, not do any exercise and have a heart attack when you go back to basic.

But I think it's the standard 2 weeks you get anyway.

Good luck xx

7. going back a while now, but i joined on nov21 1989 and after 4 weeks of basic had 3 weeks leave!!! bloody great place this andrew!!, and when i was drafted main gate at raleigh it always had 3 week leave periods dus to the fact it was a traing base. dont know if this is still the case, if it is though keep oout of the shit over leave run away from trouble and keep running and keeping fit generally as they beast the bollocks off you the first week back.

8. well this year joined on the 22nd july did two weeks basic and then sent on leave for four weeks !!! loving this job already best decision i ever made!!

9. plus still managing to keep fit etc!!

10. Geez,
    When I joined, I was not entitled to any leave until we had done 13 weeks, then we got 10 days leave and two of those was travelling time.
    Why do they get so much after only a couple of weeks.

No wonder the Royal Navy is having so much trouble getting its ships away from Port. Most of the fleet ratings are on leave. :threaten: :threaten:

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

G'Day Roly,

A hearty welcome to RR.

In response to your query:

In the olden days it used to take longer to train people to do their job, hence the difference in allocated leave-days.

Despite only being in the Navy few a few weeks, the majority appear to be able to find their way back to HMS Raleigh after leave. Not sure why this is the case, maybe we've evolved a Homing Pigeon instinct. Speaking for myself, when abroad in a place never visited before, after multiple bar visits, I've never failed to:

1. Find a kebab shop
    2. Find the ship before the kebab got cold.

Doubtless someone will think of a reason for this & illuminate us all.

12. Good things them fast blacks.

13. I want to know why Kebabs are a priority over foreign totty.

Or is the Kebab your form of a cigarette?

:dwarf:

14. It's a homing device. Once you are shiters buy a kebab and as you wander along it points you in the right direction to finally bring you back to your ship. It is not meant to be eaten by you but once safely back onboard it is either to be fed into the video player (if you still have one) or placed under your pillow for safe keeping.

15. Or in the case of the Sembawang egg banjo there was enough for supper and brekkie next morning :rendeer: :rendeer:

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Spot on.

The only bit I'd add is that you have to wake your sober mate, who's duty, stepping on him as you climb into your bunk, whilst asking if he'd like a bite of kebab or failing that, whether he was still in the market for purchasing a warship.

17. Joined 28/11/61, and took my full kit bag home to Guzz with me about 3 weeks later- spent most of Xmas Eve ironing the 7 creases back in my blue suits, as dear old Mum had married a pongo and thir creases were, shall we say, different ??

18. 21st-11th.

Just lay off too many pies and pints lol. ;p