Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how much xmas leave while at raleigh?

Do you want to join the Andrew or go on holiday? Does it matter? Have you read through the Newbie threads? :threaten:

lol Yeah don't mind Hig.

That response meant he was in a good mood. You don't want to see what comment he'd have put, had he been in a bad mood!

And in a way he's right mate, Basic is all you should be worried about as it's one of the most important things you'll ever do!

:thumright:

D

Deleted 7

To be honest, it's better to hope for a joining date that won't be interfered with a holiday. Last thing you wanna do is go home, stuff your face full of food and booze, not do any exercise and have a heart attack when you go back to basic.

But I think it's the standard 2 weeks you get anyway.

Good luck xx

phill

going back a while now, but i joined on nov21 1989 and after 4 weeks of basic had 3 weeks leave!!! bloody great place this andrew!!, and when i was drafted main gate at raleigh it always had 3 week leave periods dus to the fact it was a traing base. dont know if this is still the case, if it is though keep oout of the shit over leave run away from trouble and keep running and keeping fit generally as they beast the bollocks off you the first week back.

Professor_X

Badgeman
well this year joined on the 22nd july did two weeks basic and then sent on leave for four weeks !!! loving this job already best decision i ever made!!

Roly01

Professor_X said:
well this year joined on the 22nd july did two weeks basic and then sent on leave for four weeks !!! loving this job already best decision i ever made!!

Geez,
When I joined, I was not entitled to any leave until we had done 13 weeks, then we got 10 days leave and two of those was travelling time.
Why do they get so much after only a couple of weeks.

No wonder the Royal Navy is having so much trouble getting its ships away from Port. Most of the fleet ratings are on leave. :threaten: :threaten:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Roly01 said:
When I joined, I was not entitled to any leave until we had done 13 weeks, then we got 10 days leave and two of those was travelling time.
Why do they get so much after only a couple of weeks.

No wonder the Royal Navy is having so much trouble getting its ships away from Port. Most of the fleet ratings are on leave. :threaten: :threaten:

G'Day Roly,

A hearty welcome to RR.

In response to your query:

In the olden days it used to take longer to train people to do their job, hence the difference in allocated leave-days.

Despite only being in the Navy few a few weeks, the majority appear to be able to find their way back to HMS Raleigh after leave. Not sure why this is the case, maybe we've evolved a Homing Pigeon instinct. Speaking for myself, when abroad in a place never visited before, after multiple bar visits, I've never failed to:

1. Find a kebab shop
2. Find the ship before the kebab got cold.

Doubtless someone will think of a reason for this & illuminate us all.

I want to know why Kebabs are a priority over foreign totty.

Or is the Kebab your form of a cigarette?

:dwarf:

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
creddly said:
I want to know why Kebabs are a priority over foreign totty.

Or is the Kebab your form of a cigarette?

:dwarf:

It's a homing device. Once you are shiters buy a kebab and as you wander along it points you in the right direction to finally bring you back to your ship. It is not meant to be eaten by you but once safely back onboard it is either to be fed into the video player (if you still have one) or placed under your pillow for safe keeping.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Jimmy_Green said:
It's a homing device. Once you are shiters buy a kebab and as you wander along it points you in the right direction to finally bring you back to your ship. It is not meant to be eaten by you but once safely back onboard it is either to be fed into the video player (if you still have one) or placed under your pillow for safe keeping.

Spot on.

The only bit I'd add is that you have to wake your sober mate, who's duty, stepping on him as you climb into your bunk, whilst asking if he'd like a bite of kebab or failing that, whether he was still in the market for purchasing a warship.

lsadirty

War Hero
Joined 28/11/61, and took my full kit bag home to Guzz with me about 3 weeks later- spent most of Xmas Eve ironing the 7 creases back in my blue suits, as dear old Mum had married a pongo and thir creases were, shall we say, different ??

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
trelawney126 How Much did you pay for your Xmas Tree £900? Current Affairs 6
MoD_RSS Torness officers raise funds to remember much loved local resident MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government gives businesses much-needed breathing space with extension of insolvency measures MoD News 0
Waspie Not so much WAFU as Crab!! The Fleet Air Arm 3
MoD_RSS Much Wenlock residents urged to find out about flood risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Much-loved coastal heritage assets to be saved with almost £1 million of Coastal Revival Fund MoD News 0
Dusty70 How Much......................................... Diamond Lil's 6
MoD_RSS News story: DIO restores much loved Wiltshire monument MoD News 0
TechFin Is There Much Of A Waiting List For Pilot? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Antonio555 How much will i really earn? CIS submariner Joining the Royal Navy 8
MoD_RSS News story: New fingerprint chemical to ‘make it much harder for criminals to escape... MoD News 0
A How much should I be able to squat? Health & Fitness 5
L How much longer????? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
J Advice much appreciated please. Submariners 17
BoatyMcBoatFace How much of the world does the average RN sailor see? Travel & The Great Outdoors 114
joeG How much money should i take to raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
u04elw2 How Much Time Spent Away From Home? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
F Not missed much then Diamond Lil's 38
S Thank you very much! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
O Army Deferral, how much will it go against me? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
I How much notice of AIB do you get? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
W How much phys do you during Phase 1? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil Western Morning News: "Not Much Room To Spare For HMS Penzance" The Fleet 0
Waspie Not so much up diddly up!!!!! MoD News 12
E RMR work as much as you like? RMR 13
R SOS! SFA Q: How much more does SFA cost @ NON-ENTITLED Rate The Quarterdeck 1
soleil Mail: "Meet The Man Who Loved Harrier Jump Jets So Much He Bought One" The Fleet Air Arm 1
fishhead Astute Class and how much they're costing. Submariners 0
B How much longer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 52
M How much history should i research for my interview? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
J How much ironing preparation are you doing before joining raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
DublinRum how much notice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
pinkprincess Big Brother much? The Gash Barge 5
Drakey So much for spelling The Quarterdeck 6
trelawney126 How Much more Bread To Fix The Haldron Collider AGAIN The Gash Barge 3
pinkprincess Just because it made me laugh so much! Diamond Lil's 5
C How much time Blogs 8
M Front & back doors, how much? Lil's version. Diamond Lil's 14
witsend Front & back doors, how much? Finance & Pensions 22
B How much is everyone else doing? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 59
trelawney126 Too Much to Hope For Current Affairs 2
Montigny_La_Palisse How much can you spare? Charity 26
L Speed time distance - your opinion (not so much a how to!) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
K Too much CCTV Current Affairs 2
JaFAA Are some recruits joining up cos there's not much better do? Diamond Lil's 19
SpliceTheMainbrace 8-9 MONTH MOBILISATIONS, HOW MUCH LEAVE?? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 23
slim Benefits pilot scheme scrapped for costing too much Current Affairs 5
P How much does it cost to train a royal marine commando? The Corps 29
A Too Much Sun = Site Issues 4
S How much was I earning - 1975 History 40