How Much Preparation Did You Do?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by sandygib, Oct 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. These days there is alot of emphasis on preparing for basic training. Getting fit, learning to wash iron etc and I was wondering how much notice your average trainee pays to the advice. Do most people do any preparation at all or just assume they can wing it when they get there? According my my other half he just turned out without even having a full kit list, and hoped for the best. So what's the norm :?:

2. Can't say I did anything in preperation for basic training , although that was way back in 1971 , just turned up & took what came my way , :?:

3. Are you saying there is now pre basic training?
    How much more basic than basic can there be?
    When I joined in 69, we were taught everything from washing & shaving through to wiping your ass properly.
    Can't imagine anything more basic than that.

4. I did nowt, but joined at 16, at that age you are fit enough not to worry about training and the rest is taught to you.
    One of the most important skills I ever learned in the mob was "winging it".

5. How right you are - Wing it but DON'T GET CAUGHT winging it.

6. I didn't do a whole lot either. Barely had time to buy the necessary kit anyway as I got offered a place two weeks after my interview when someone else dropped out. Not looked back either.

I note that the Royals do a pre-selection [short] week which obviously makes sense as it gives prospective recruits a flavour of what they're letting themselves in for.

SF

7. Completely agree with that.

In my experience we plan plan plan in the mob (well what else are officers for?) but the instant the plan starts - something changes and you end up cuffing it.

The best thing you can do is learn and prepare yourself to wing-it.

8. I learned how to sew but when I got to Raleigh all my badges and name-tags were already on my kit. (Easy Life 1980)
    Apart from that I just went with the flow.

9. Same when i joined fella but alot of 16 year olds now are fat useless f*ckers! agree?

10. Eh? 8O

11. His mum have popped down the week before!!!!

12. Having read all the Ganges tales about sewing your name on to everything, I genuinely was surprised when I went to Raleigh that they now provide a made-to-measure blue suit and sew on any badges you require :eek:

13. Get them to do that at CTCRM someone! Mind you you do get your blues and loverts tailored there and all other badges put on during your career at cdo units. But are we talking about working dress here Dunkers?

14. I meant full blues; as regards no 4s (8s for you old salts) they provide iron-on name badges.

15. Dunkers are the numerical reference's a matlot thing i've never come across it in the corp? cs95,half lovets,lovets,blues etc are typical referances used in the corp.

16. Yeah i think it's a matelot thing, by the way I was wondering, when does a bootie wear lovets and when does he wear blues??

17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

My preparation in 86 (16 years old) consisted of:

Friday - Left SCC unit
    Saturday - Left job as assistant milkman (for £10 per week!)
    Sunday - Packed one bag (iaw joining instructions), then met school mates in park for drinks (after raiding parents' drinks cabinets!)
    Monday - Morning. Too early and hungover. Caught train to Plymouth; collected from station in big blue Pusser's wagon; Raleigh...

The rest is history!

18. I think all this preparation stuff is a modern thing, all I did for AIB was read up a few more papers than usual, and then got the appointed train to Dartmouth the following September, then wondered what had hit me.

Go with the flow and if you get caught take what's coming with a good grace and you get out at the end and get on with having fun.

Peter

19. And I thought you were older than me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

20. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Didn't you have to go via Stonehouse for the lobotomy?! :wink: