Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

How much of the world does the average RN sailor see?

After joining up in 1967 and straight from training I flew to Singapore to join HMS Eagle which was with the Far East sqd on a round the world deployment. Visiting Australia, Hong Kong and loads of other countries and islands for Banyan etc. In 1970 I served onboard HMS Blake for Captain Cooks Centenery visiting Cape Town and loads of other countries on the way. HMS Ulster, Fearless, Penelope, Lincoln, Naiad, Londonderry, Ariadne, Euryalus and a few shore bases in between. As well as being a steward, I worked for the various ships welfare fund serving as ships DJ and tuneing in the ships radio to BFPO and the world service. Retiring in 1989. I was a neaters man.

After joining up in 1967 and straight from training I flew to Singapore to join HMS Eagle which was with the Far East sqd on a round the world deployment. Visiting Australia, Hong Kong and loads of other countries and islands for Banyan etc. In 1970 I served onboard HMS Blake for Captain Cooks Centenery visiting Cape Town and loads of other countries on the way. HMS Ulster, Fearless, Penelope, Lincoln, Naiad, Londonderry, Ariadne, Euryalus and a few shore bases in between. As well as being a steward, I worked for the various ships welfare fund serving as ships DJ and tuneing in the ships radio to BFPO and the world service. Retiring in 1989. I was a neaters man.

Welcome to the site @Jan the man
I was trying to ascertain who is in the photo, because when you typed "You" it was a bit unclear.
I'm now guessing that's yourself? :)

Cambeltown was an absolute pit - used to fuel from there on fishery protection - locals always wanted to fight us.........and we obliged, rude not too.

Are you talking about Lena Zavaroni's Aunties chip shop in Rothsay - had many a fish supper there whilst running as 'target' for the great unwashed perisher crews.................................

Cambeltown was an absolute pit - used to fuel from there on fishery protection - locals always wanted to fight us.........and we obliged, rude not too.

Are you talking about Lena Zavaroni's Aunties chip shop in Rothsay - had many a fish supper there whilst running as 'target' for the great unwashed perisher crews.................................
Been there done that, on one sunny occasion we persuaded OOD to give us hands to bathe whilst we were at anchor, trouble sunshine didn't manage to warm up Scottish Sea, Kim cold.

Last edited:
Did you ever swop with any of us for a dhoby and some beers and a comfy bed for the night - I think I did about 4 or 5 days swops (in one day lumps) on ( I think) Oberon and Opossum - mainly in 70s on Plymouth and the Rothesay

And of course put your sleeping bag and no 8s through the chinky laundry - I remember that being very popular with the bubbleheads.....................................

Latest Threads